The Blu Room

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: The Blu Room

Postby Subway Diet » Tue May 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Picked up a 3D copy of Pompeii. While not as ultra slick as 300, it does cheesy three dimensional swords and sandal silliness just fine. :)

I'm still bemused by the casting of Kiefer Sutherland as a haughty Roman Senator. The panto level performance that he hands in actually saves the film somewhat from Kit Harrington going around looking like a buff, oiled up sack of angst.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Subway Diet wrote:The panto level performance that he hands in actually saves the film somewhat from Kit Harrington going around looking like a buff, oiled up sack of angst.

:lol:

This is so true.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Couple of new pick ups.

Got Ant Man and Age of Ultron. Asside from Guardians, The Captain America films have been my favorites out of the MCU. I've been told I need to have seen every film leading up to the new one to "get it", so here I am. Ultron has been watched, forgotten and traded back in already. Not been in the right mood for Ant Man yet. I keep having this weird thought that all the heavy tilt shifting and blur effects will give me a headache. :-k

Non superhero big budget flashy stuff: The Martian. I've been told it's just a nerdier Apollo 13, but I hope there's a bit more to it than "Of course it'll be a happy ending!"

And on a weird note: The Ninth Configuration and The Lobster.

Expect thoughts as I watch 'em.

Heh. Was also holding the James Bond box set in my hands, this close to getting it. I then realised it would mean that I'd own the Roger Moore films, and promptly put it back on the shelf.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:53 pm

So happy to be 99% finished with the Bond range, after the (3 film) Daniel Craig Collection ending with Skyfall. Spectre can stay "in the wild", it's already had one reissue on the big screen and might get another one in the next two years.

Also decided to track down the last two 2006 editions for For Your Eyes Only and The World Is Not Enough, just to keep them all in the same 2xDVD set. If you've got the black label version of TWINE then take care of it as that seems to be the "winner" and is rare and collectible if you have everything (slipcover and Win An Aston Martin inserts). The 2008 editions were just new boxes for the same discs though so I didn't lose anything.

[EDIT] and caved for the last two Roger Moores to complete the old set on DVD. The only other Bond Blu Rays I'd get now would be Tomorrow Never Dies and Living Daylights. Goldeneye, will check back in 2020 for the 25th anniversary and see if it gets a decent transfer at last.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Uhhhhh, The Thing is getting the proper Blu Ray treatment :D

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/the-thing-collector-s-edition

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:27 am

If you've got a region-free players, that is.
Shout Factory locks their disks down tight!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:26 pm

So, I didn't realise this is a thing people were clamouring for.

Coming this December: a black and white version of Fury Road! I'm also hearing rumours that it'll be re-edited and tweaked to make it a "silent" film as well.
From best I can understand with a quick google serach, George Miller mentioned in some off hand comment that he wanted to do B&W, but when the studio baulked, he made it as colourful as possible.

Should be interesting, to say the least. Hopefully better done that that gimmick release of Gravity, I hope.

It's also being released alongside a new box set of all four films (+ B&W and 4K versions of Fury Road) and a stack of new documentaries.

Makes me feel like a bit of an arse for buying the Anthology set last year. :o Triple Dipped!

Also WITNESS ME! VALHALLA! SHINY AND CHROME! WHAT A DAY!

MEDIOCRE!

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:23 pm

So that's where it went, I thought Miller wanted to bring it to cinemas then wondered why I only saw the standard colour re-issue at Cineworld. Glad to see Miller got the money to get his vision realised but let's face it we could just turn down the colour on our TVs :)

The Black and White really added something to the double-pack of The Mist and hopefully the same will be true for MMFR.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:40 am

Nethlyn wrote:So that's where it went, I thought Miller wanted to bring it to cinemas then wondered why I only saw the standard colour re-issue at Cineworld. Glad to see Miller got the money to get his vision realised but let's face it we could just turn down the colour on our TVs :)

The Black and White really added something to the double-pack of The Mist and hopefully the same will be true for MMFR.
You'd hope they'll do a whole new grading job on it, along with the edits to reduce dialogue and bring the soundtrack forward, which people seem to be talking about as if it's fact.

At least with Fury Road, Miller went all in with the original cut. Compared to The Mist, I got the impression that Darabont didn't care as much about how the film looked in colour.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:01 pm

If you're lucky they will do a Fox and just have scaled up sets of the film, or separate for 4K/UHD and standard Blu Ray with both versions so you don't have to bother getting all four again. It's a good way to keep interest in the film on the home formats as I missed those £5 London IMAX reissues.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:14 pm

Spotted Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition blu ray in Morrison's yesterday for just £10 so had to throw it in with the usual assortment of munches as I did. According to websites there are no less than 8 additional major changes in this version over the theatrical one which I liked but can't say it was anything spectacular so I'm hoping this feels more coherent and less like a studio head fucked about with it too much.

Also the first blu ray I've bought in quite some time although I am planning on buying Star Trek: Beyond on br sometime next week. I loved it personally and am very happy Simon Pegg has been handed the writing job for the next outing once more.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Some new additions then!

Shaun of the Dead

Not sure how I went so long without this in my collection but there you go. Considered by both myself and many others as one of the most quotable movies ever made.

David: I'm a lecturer.
Shaun: You're a twat!
Ed: YEAH!

Mississippi Burning

100% probably due to playing Mafia III no doubt but a superb film and having also watched The Commitments again recently it amazes me how Alan Parker can go from one movie genre to another so easily.

Warcraft

I loved it so shoot me.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 am

Prey wrote:Warcraft

I loved it so shoot me.
High-five!

Can only assume the huge backlash was from critical fun deficiencies. :P

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 am

I know right. For years people have been incessantly creaming over Avatar as the best movie ever and yet Warcraft gets completely trashed and even put down as one of the worst movies of the year. I see no logic there. I'll gladly take Durotan over Jake Sully any day of the week. The film had everything I expected from it and I personally consider it one of my highlights of the year amidst a sea of mostly cool to like movie disappointments. Duncan Jones did a great job and the fact he had to actually defend his use of CGI is just daft as I thought it delivered on all counts. Deserves a sequel if not a full blown trilogy.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Captain America: Civil War

Had low expectations going into this seeing as the last few Avengers movies have all been pretty weak (Winter Soldier being the exception). It wasn't all that bad in the end, over long and too many characters but watchable. The effects were a bit iffy in places though, the tunnel chase and most flying bits with very obvious CGI.
Spoiler: show
But the young RDJ bit at the start was well done I think

Worth a look anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film