The Blu Room

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: The Blu Room

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I said I wasn't going to buy it, but I did. Magic Mike XXL

I know.
I know they "stripped out" a lot of the dramatic stuff the from the original movie and replaced it with more Hen Night hooting and hollering. In my defence, it's still got Soderberg working the camera, plus the strippers were actually some of the better characters from the original. Maybe sending them on a road trip adventure, away from the heavy melodrama, would be a laugh?

Though If it is just more dance scenes, that's not too bad either. ;)
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Two more pick ups.

Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6. What with Zootopia (or whatever the regional name is) getting big reviews, I figured it might be a fun time to go back and check Disney's own, non-Pixar, CG movies. Decided against Tangled and Frozen as they seem a little too princess and musical focused. I like video games, robots and superheroes. You know, boy things! :lol: ;)

But for real, those two didn't seem that interesting to me. Especially after i got my mother's review of Frozen ("I don't see why children like it so much. It was just awful with too much singing")

Not much else to say. They're pretty much unknown to me outside of the basic premises. Will no doubt report back in the Just Watched thread.

Ugh. Building a backlog up again.
End of an Era

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:45 am

Can't remember what happened to our Blu Ray bargains thread so this might as well go in the active one, there's a bunch of spring sales with Blu Rays down to as cheap as a fiver, some for the single titles and others two for a tenner and for Zavvi until Tues 12th, two for £8.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/entertainme ... -bargains/

Click on any Blu Ray with "2 for £10" by it and follow the link under "Quick Look" to see only the two for tenner Blu Rays. Everyone's discounting Predators so no idea if that means a reissue is coming but if you have any (paper) Tesco vouchers lying around for a fiver you could make at least one disc completely free from the pair.

HMV aren't left out of it they've also jumped in and are price matching some of these at http://store.hmv.com to compete with Amazon. I think Universal's Blu Rays are two for a tenner anywhere at the moment, not just Zavvi but after renting Furious 7 twice that is too damn good a price to pass up. Shop around as always.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Pick ups!

Two that have been recommended to me: Incendies and Sound of my Voice
Two daft 80s movies that I wanted to watch again: Night of the Coment and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Oh, and two Disney things: Oz: The Great and Powerful and Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Well, I'll pick it up on Monday)

So there you go. Previews of the next few movies I'll be talking about in the Just Watched thread. :P

Had a look at Buckaroo Banzai and, whoo boy, the Arrow supervised transfer of the film blows the old Australian disk from Umbrella out of the water. Was initially a bit uncertain about re-buying the movie, but now I'm glad that I did. Hell of a movie, and I'm glad it looks so much better and has even more bonus features. :)
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Pick ups.

Again, expect further comments once I've seen these to show up in the Just Watched thread.

Bram Stroker's Dracula: Been watching the Vinnyvainia series over on Giantbomb. Not only has it got me fishing out my PSP and copy of Dracula X Chronicles, but their discussion on just how much of an insane mess the film is has got me in the mood to watch it again. Either way, It'll be worth if if only to see some of that old school Gary Oldman craziness.
No Country for Old Men: Was just hit with this urge to re-watch this.
Philadelphia: Not entirely sure why I sold this movie considering there's so much about it that I enjoy. I mean, not so much "enjoy", but it's certainly a kind of unspoken favourite movie of mine.
Straight out of Compton: I can't remember. Did people like this when it came out, or were they more into the soundtrack? Still, as "by the numbers" as most critics seem to think it is, it still struck me as an interesting film to check out.
Galaxy Quest: I've been told this is meant to be good. I'm not convinced it won't be awful, but it was cheap. :P

Also forgot to mention picking up a couple more concert Blu-ray.

{sic}nesses by Slipknot (Yes, I'm still listening to them. Turns out that they're actually pretty good) and The Zombie Horror Picture Show from Rob Zombie.

Well. It looks like I've got some stuff to watch. :)

Edit: Did I really write "straight out of Compton"? It's "straight outta Compton"

#-o
Last edited by Subway Diet on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Galaxy Quest is good, I especially enjoyed the late lamented Alan Rickman basically sending up his stage and movie career.
No Country for Old Men is simply outstanding, never get tired of Tommy Lee Jones' dry comments in it and Javier Bardem's character is seriously creepy.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Galaxy Quest is a fantastic spoof that riffs on pretty much every Star Trek trope whilst being incredibly entertaining.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Bram Stroker's Dracula: Been watching the Vinnyvainia series over on Giantbomb. Not only has it got me fishing out my PSP and copy of Dracula X Chronicles, but their discussion on just how much of an insane mess the film is has got me in the mood to watch it again. Either way, It'll be worth if if only to see some of that old school Gary Oldman craziness.

It's definitely the best adaptation that anyone's ever made of the novel.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 am

Subway Diet wrote:Pick ups.

Well. It looks like I've got some stuff to watch. :)

Glad my 60-80% rule is holding as in I've seen all those flicks properly except Straight Outta Compton where the VOD stream screwed up. Since the main extra is the director's cut on both DVD and Blu Ray it's on the list to buy. Still a lost opportunity for a definitive best-of on the CD side of things for the soundtrack considering it's about a rap band. (ie imagine a Prince movie with no music soundtrack, it just wouldn't happen right?)

Bram Stoker's Dracula at the time I loved it and have the poster on my wall but I will have to give it a proper rewatch next time it's on Film4.

My attitude to Oscar Best Picture winners is neatly summed up by your pickups: Philadelphia was long, worthy and preaching and laden with stereotypes though it deserved its acting awards and nominations and I got another great Peter Gabriel song out of it (and also Springsteen and others).

No Country For Old Men on the other hand is, apart from Return Of The King, the only recent Best Picture winner that's endured and come back to being a "regular" film I watch all the time, plus it's one of the more accessible Coen flicks as a modern day western. For older Best Pictures there's what, Gladiator? Chinatown? Crash only stands out for being released in the summer not October to January.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun May 01, 2016 2:12 pm

From the Just Watched thread:

Nethlyn wrote:
eVoL wrote:Deadpool
Well that was fucking great!

I like this shorter review style :D One month to the Blu Ray but I'm glad I made time to see this twice.
Supposedly the Director is going back on his claims of there being a Directors Cut. The story now is that he only edited once scene down, and he might just include it as a deleted scene.

While that might be the case, I'm still a little wary. My 20th Century Fox Bullshit Detector says they might have got him to change the story so as not to dissuade people from buying the film as they wait for the eventual double dip.
I totally held off on buying the last X-Men picture when Bryan Singer got out there and said there'd be an extended cut later down the line. :-k

Either way, I'll be buying it day one. :lol:
End of an Era

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 pm

[EDIT] It would be ridiculous if they tried to do a "Rogue Cut" separate release when the film was so short they could put multiple versions on one disc, sell stacks of it and still satisfy fans. They had to release the DoFP Rogue Cut to rental in the end and I still haven't caught up with it yet, without something like a great new steelbook cover for an old film double dipping's going to slow down because of 4K coming up and taking over.

I just hope that means we at least get the alternative wisecracks and banter that were in Deadpool's trailers but not in the film, then I'd be cool with that, then again I've got The Raid 2 meaning I can watch the opening fight scene that "inspired" Deadpool whenever I want before getting that Blu Ray.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon May 02, 2016 10:13 am

A little something for us home video enthusiasts to chuckle at.

If you weren't already familiar, TechMoan is a really cool channel. Lots of focus on old home video and hi-fi equipment. Plus I appreciate the guy's laid back, gently humorous attitude.

While I'm talking about this guy, here's a particularly interesting What-If situation: HD VHS

End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Fretting over if I should post this in the hardware forum or the film forum.

But this is a cool little haven to talk about movie stuff, so here we go.

Got this for my birthday: LG 42LF652V

Would post a picture, but you know what a big telly looks like.

Well, I say big, but it's on the lower size end of things when it comes to huge screens these days. A good looking 42 inch smart TV deal. Swish metal construction and, get this, has 3D. I know the gimmick is on the way out, but, well, Dredd might have pushed me in that direction. ¬_¬

And, oh boy, it continues to look cool as all get out in the third dimension!

Also built up a stack of other 3D movies over time, just in case I ever got a 3D TV, so the feature won't be going completely to waste. Also might have used some of my birthday money to upgrade my copy of 300: Rise of an Empire to the 3D version... and Jupiter Ascending. The less said about my taste in film, the better. 8-[

Worse still, the next movie I plan to get in 3D is Pompeii. The film was bad, but I laughed my ass off. It could only be made better with all kinds of silly shit being blown into your face.
Last edited by Subway Diet on Sat May 07, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Fri May 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Subway Diet wrote:The less said about my taste in film, the better. 8-[

Hey, we're in the same boat there. For example, I really loved Pompeii! Man, that Gladiator battle in Britannia was freakin' great. I'd like to see just that bit in 3D, even though I generally don't care for the third dimension.
Last edited by Stormbringer on Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 am

I question if I have the ocular fortitude to watch an entire film in 3D. So far, it's been worth it just to watch the "best bits" of films.

Such as the Battle of Marathon in 300: Rise of an Empire. That sure is a spectacle in 3D! All the intense slow motion shots, the rain and lightning, the arrows flying and, of course, the great trails of blood arcing from each sword wound. Haha. That's probably the only time I'll speak positively about CGI blood. :lol:

In blu ray news: The Hateful Eight is out today. Will be looking into buying the Steelbook version with it's inflated price from HMV at some point.
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film