The Blu Room

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: The Blu Room

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Double post, sorry.

Blade Runner 2049 coming to home video on the February 5th.
Thor: Ragnarok coming on February 26.

My wallet is already weeping.
End of an Era

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:54 am

I missed out on the flash sale of Alien Covenant on Blu Ray for a fiver at Amazon so will rent it, at just a fiver I know it got bad reviews but is £5 worth it for the extras and rounding off the set? If so I'll have to hope that offer comes back for Easter.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:04 am

Would recommend renting the film first. See what you think before buying it just for the extras. The ones included are not particularly deep or insightful.

Also, not related to the topic, seems like the David Trilogy has been stopped. Rumors seem to indicate that Fox (Disney?) has put the kibosh on it. Which is a damn shame if (most likely) true.
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:40 am

Subway Diet wrote:Double post, sorry.

Blade Runner 2049 coming to home video on the February 5th.
Thor: Ragnarok coming on February 26.

My wallet is already weeping.

All preordered. Don't forget IT is also releasing January 9th. I've yet to see a single one of all three and am looking forward to seeing them first in the comfort of my own home.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:07 am

Subway Diet wrote:Would recommend renting the film first. See what you think before buying it just for the extras. The ones included are not particularly deep or insightful.

Also, not related to the topic, seems like the David Trilogy has been stopped. Rumors seem to indicate that Fox (Disney?) has put the kibosh on it. Which is a damn shame if (most likely) true.

That is a shame. Fassbender was really great in the role.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm

So Disney now own the Alien franchise? That just seems wrong :/

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Animalmother wrote:So Disney now own the Alien franchise? That just seems wrong :/
They'll give it the Marvel Magic and reboot it as an Alien Vs Predator Cinematic Universe.

Jez wrote:
Subway Diet wrote:Would recommend renting the film first. See what you think before buying it just for the extras. The ones included are not particularly deep or insightful.

That is a shame. Fassbender was really great in the role.
With Alien and X-Men on shaky ground with Disney, I'm sure Fassbender is sweating bullets.
That said, reading further into it, the rumour comes from a questionable source (You'd wonder why it was picked up on some film news sites). Unless the claims are further verified, shall sprinkle some salt onto that one. Was just feeling very pessimistic about the future of the series and it sounded like a realistic outcome.

-

Alright. Films on Disks! UHD!
Here's a few I got for Christmas

Interstellar and The Prestige - Filling out the Nolan collection further. His love of shooting on high quality film and use of practical effects means they transfer extremely well to 4K. Also a good excuse to watch The Prestige again. :-k

The Lego Movie - Doesn't really take much advantage of the format. The HDR provides nice boost to the colours of the film, but that's about all the UHD version has going for it. The soft look of the film and the upscale job doesn't really make the high resolution shine. Still looks really good, but that's more an artistic vision thing than pure AV tech prowess.

Starship Troopers - If Terminator 2 was polished to a chrome shine when it got the 4K treatment, this one is the exact opposite. Untouched and raw as hell. There are scene with film grain rougher than sandpaper! I get the sense it was a kind of budget back-catalog release. Those kind of films don't have massive budget for digital clean up so I'd take that over the cheaper, heavy handed techniques that could have been used.
End of an Era

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 am

Subway Diet wrote:The other is Terminator 2

Have you ever wondered what T2 would look like if it was made yesterday? Well, old Cameron has done a bit of a George Lucas, going back and touching the film up to a mirror sheen. I'm sure purists will balk at the changes, like the fixed visual effects, the very digital looking film quality (no grain, but not waxy like that Predator transfer, thank goodness!) and more "dramatic" HDR colours.
For me, the increase in resolution alone makes it worthwhile. You can count the hairs on Arnie's chest. I mean, that alone is absolutely worth the cost of going 4k. :-k

Well not quite like George Lucas in that the alternative ending already existed, didn't mess up the music and you can pick either of them :)

https://realorfake4k.com/ is your friend! Only discovered this site yesterday. I actually checked out some T2 reviews and high def digest to find out about it, looks like it was a real 4K rescan for the practical film but no word on whether the effects remained at 2K or whether Canal+ spent the extra money to process the effects at 4K as well.

I can't think of a bestseller type film that's really pushing upgrades to 4K in the same way The Matrix did for DVD and Avatar and Frozen have done for Blu Ray, either it's still too new and there's this minefield of pure 4K vs the upscales, or people are just waiting for their TVs to go bang and may consider it later if they haven't been lost to streaming. Personally there hasn't been a single film making the upgrade worthwhile yet, maybe Blade Runner 2049 might be the one.

As for Arnie - if there's going to be limited waxface in this new edition I'll leave T2 to Freeview HD and turn up the volume on that old quiet sound mix.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am

Well, in regards to Terminator 2: I did say "a bit", to be specific. :P
Cameron didn't go full Lucas but, for better or worse, he sure did give it a thorough touch up. Outside of the subtle tweaks he made (Tidying up some shots/removing reflections of the crew) the digital effects are what was printed to film back in 1991.

For comparison, I went and re-watched the latest version of the original Terminator. That's a really good transfer that manages to look properly gritty, but still detailed and clear. It worked exceptionally well with minimal digital clean up.

Ah well. I'm not that much of a film grain purist. While a more "natural" looking image is preferred, I'm largely tolerant of clean ups jobs so long as they don't cross the line, turning the film into a waxy, over-sharpened mess.

As much as I'll act like an elitist knob when it comes to DVD, I don't begrudge anyone for sticking with regular blu-ray over UHD. it's an expensive format for people who perhaps care a little too much about image quality.
Unless you buy a massive OLED TV, you need a pretty dedicated set up to get the most out of it. For just popping on a film and watching it from the otherside of the living room, nobody is really going to tell that much difference. I'm the exact kind of silly who set my room up for the soul purpose of watching films. I'm also the kind of silly who compares the 4K disk with the packed in blu ray out of curiosity. So far, I've only really seen two movies that didn't benefit much from the format (WarCraft and The Lego Movie). Everything else, upscale or not, comes with a noticeable boost in colour and/or clarity.

But, again, I'm actually making an effort to look for it. If I didn't pause Dunkirk to point at the screen and say "Look at the details in that sand! Holy crap! It's so detailed!* I doubt anyone would care. :-k

Oh, and you bet I'm excited for Blade Runner 2049. If you want to see a film that totally shines on the format, I was completely floored by the 4K version of the original Blade Runner.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Subway Diet wrote:But, again, I'm actually making an effort to look for it. If I didn't pause Dunkirk to point at the screen and say "Look at the details in that sand! Holy crap! It's so detailed!* I doubt anyone would care. :-k

You sound like a real hoot to watch movies with. :P

Just preordered Blade Runner 2049 myself. I am pretty excited to watch it again on my new TV with all my speaker gear. Seriously one of my favourite movies that I've seen in years.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:36 am

Mantis wrote:
Subway Diet wrote:But, again, I'm actually making an effort to look for it. If I didn't pause Dunkirk to point at the screen and say "Look at the details in that sand! Holy crap! It's so detailed!* I doubt anyone would care. :-k

You sound like a real hoot to watch movies with. :P

Just preordered Blade Runner 2049 myself. I am pretty excited to watch it again on my new TV with all my speaker gear. Seriously one of my favourite movies that I've seen in years.
Haha. Well, that's what I do on my own when watching a film that I had seen before. Not sure if that makes it any better.

I'm curious about what audio set up you're using? I've currently got a cheap soundbar with a sub woofer that works alright. Much better than any built in speakers, but rattly and a little thin at times and a far cry from surround sound.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:44 pm

My setup isn't much further along than that to be honest. I did have a soundbar and subwoofer but, though it was better than the TV, the bar itself still left a lot to be desired. I've got a little 2.1 M-Audio set of speakers now which I'm very happy with. They're good for putting music through too, particularly when I'm mixing my own stuff.

I'd never be able to go much bigger than that as I live in apartments and have neighbours in pretty much every direction, I use the current speakers sparingly enough as it is. I'd love to go for full 5.1 or 7.1 one day though if I moved somewhere a bit bigger and detached.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am

Picked up Ghost in the Shell yesterday for just £7 and I gotta say I very much prefer it to Blade Runner 2049 which was just a boring slog fest to get through and lord knows how they managed that with Ana de Armas present. I felt it lacked pretty much everything the original movie delivered decades earlier.

Also finally got my hands on the br version of Split. James McAvoy in his best role since Wanted along with Hacksaw Ridge.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am

While I don't feel Civil War is one of the best movies in the MCU the introduction of Crossbones, Spider-Man and Black Panther into the universe are movie milestones not to be ignored. Tom Holland is a fantastic Peter Parker it has to be said and this is still a good film in its own right but I know deep down I've bought it more to be an MCU completionist than anything else.

I've waited since this film first released a year ago to own it for myself and believe it or not I've still not yet seen it. When you consider that the first is in my top 3 MCU movies I'm still kinda apprehensive about watching it if I'm completely honest. Still we all know how difficult a time sequels can have then again there was Spider-Man 2 so my hopes are fairly even until I bang it on later this evening.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22 am

Prey wrote:
I've waited since this film first released a year ago to own it for myself and believe it or not I've still not yet seen it. When you consider that the first is in my top 3 MCU movies I'm still kinda apprehensive about watching it if I'm completely honest. Still we all know how difficult a time sequels can have then again there was Spider-Man 2 so my hopes are fairly even until I bang it on later this evening.

I don't want to say too much about a film you've yet to see, but I think the best of Marvel's writing went into the other space film they made last year.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film