The Blu Room

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Prey
Admin

The Blu Room

Postby Prey » Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Discuss and list your latest blu ray purchases and also feel free to give them an out of 10 score based on quality/included additions etc.

(Rebought after I lent it to a mate and never had it returned)

This was one of the first blu ray's I ever bought and it simply blew me away on the very first watch. After watching the movie for years and years on both VHS and dvd the quality of this release just really hit home precisely why I sold my 500+ dvd collection and moved on to the blu ray format. Much of the content is from other dvd releases and isn't in the same picture format but I still like having it all in one disc regardless. Obviously it also has ties and features for the then upcoming Predators movie.

Blu Ray rating: Rose tinted motherfucker!!
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Animalmother

Re: The Blu Room

Postby Animalmother » Mon May 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Isn't the film quality on that one supposed to be a bit shiny as in everyone looks like they've been buffed and polished?

I don't even have a blu ray player, so my opinion here is probably for naught :?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 pm

It makes Carl Weathers look Photoshopped yes. :lol:

But there's no mistaking the added visual quality throughout the film.

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Mon May 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Been thinking of getting the game of thrones Blu-ray it looks amazing.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon May 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Game of Thrones series one Blu Ray is a no brainer - YOU MUST HAVE IT!

I hadn't seen anything of GoT when i bought it (£32 when it came out) so I spent a weekend watching the whole series - THANK THE SWEET LORD JESUS FOR BLU RAY!

It is worth it whatever the price, get it, end of!
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I've actually got the "original" straight upscale Predator. It is quite a poor transition. Fuzzy like old-school slightly off-tuned-in tellies. Felt quite lazy. I'm glad they actually put some effort it, it's just a shame I'd have to buy it again to see it properly. -_-

Can't remember the last DVD I bought. It's all blu-ray nowadays.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Animalmother wrote:Isn't the film quality on that one supposed to be a bit shiny as in everyone looks like they've been buffed and polished?

I don't even have a blu ray player, so my opinion here is probably for naught :?

this is me also.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 am

Fuck I still need the GOT Blu-rays. Its so obvious so much work and love has gone into its presentation (id really like the House Stark bestby editions with the free keychain and the wolf cover :P) - and I hear the quality is astounding. ive seen the 1080i transmissions and couldn't think how they could be bettered but ive seen a few screens from the blu-ray and fuck I don't know how they did it but they really are ^_^

Plus I really want to give HBO all my money so they can continue churning out new episodes. Waiting for 2014 for season 3 is going to be fucking horrendous >_<

And I hate the look of Predator in form of the hunter edition. Alot of fan sites went fucking crazy over it when it was first previewed as the picture was noticeably clearer (and brighter) but to me its everything thats wrong with high definition. Hopefully a disc that will serve as a warning from history to any other old film getting a restoration in the future. Its a completely over engineered look that removes an incredible amount of close up detail (especially noticeable on characters faces -arnie looks like a wax model) that the source material has only a passing resemblance of its former self and while the original blu-ray release wasn't going to win any awards for its pq id take that over the monstrosity of the hunter edition any day. The film and its dark encroaching jungle scenes suited the dark and grainy picture but now its bright and breezy and it all looks like it was filmed just off the side of a motorway. 9/10, dave, really? Really? 1 off for characters that looked photoshopped in? :P

edit

Heres a direct comparison.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CpWdX0vhroA/TBoiCIArJkI/AAAAAAAACTQ/s1RMAqcgDPk/s1600/Predator+Blu-ray+Comparison.jpg

The left piture from the hunter edition looks more like a target render than a real person.
Last edited by Boomshaka on Tue May 29, 2012 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Will debase self for credits.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 am

Rose tinted first blu ray I ever bought syndrome I guess. :oops:

And as I said there is a lot to be said concerning the digitised faces look as some look fine with lots of detail and others (Carl Weathers especially) look like the detail has been all but washed away.

edit: There, I changed my rating to something more appropriate. Incidentally which blu ray version would you recommend me then Boomeh? I'm no expert on the matter as you can probably tell. -_-

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Tue May 29, 2012 3:39 am

I think they only made 2 editions didn't they? It got roughly the same treatment as Terminator on Blu-ray, so not horrendous by any means and much better than the dvd editions but probably not a film you'd want to use to show off your telly.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Predator-Blu-ray/316/#Screenshots

Thats got the same DTS-HD sound set up that was ported over to the hunter edition aswell so if you liked how that disc sounded, its worth picking up the first release of the film for the more natural looking, albeit not quite as eye popping pq.

Also this is quite an interesting list alot of asberger types have compiled in terms of pq. Avatar and films from Pixar seam to be the big boys :D

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

edit

That reminds me actually - the re-release of Gladiator is a genuinely astounding disc. If you're getting folk round for showing off purposes, right from the off with the slowly swaying wheat fields and the freekin crazy power of the sound design, it'll make converts out of those still hanging on to their dvd editions. Seriously it looks like a different film nearly :D

topfear

Postby topfear » Tue May 29, 2012 1:53 pm

What did they do to his precious face?? :cry: Which version is on the Predators box set?

I'd forgotten how awesome Arnie was back in his prime, before stupid comedies and politics.
^ not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Tue May 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Just looked at the comparisons. Fucking hell, I don't remember it being that bad. That's rotoscoped to feck. :/
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Tue May 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Arnie still looks pretty good for his next bunch of films, topfear

He should keep that look, its badass. Old snake arnold will be best arnold. :D

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 pm

:o

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Fuck, he looks a bit like Max Payne gone grey there.

Next

Return to TV & Film