The Blu Room

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Mantis
Admin

Re: The Blu Room

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Prey wrote:I know right. For years people have been incessantly creaming over Avatar as the best movie ever and yet Warcraft gets completely trashed and even put down as one of the worst movies of the year. I see no logic there. I'll gladly take Durotan over Jake Sully any day of the week. The film had everything I expected from it and I personally consider it one of my highlights of the year amidst a sea of mostly cool to like movie disappointments. Duncan Jones did a great job and the fact he had to actually defend his use of CGI is just daft as I thought it delivered on all counts. Deserves a sequel if not a full blown trilogy.

I'm not sure exactly what reality you live in sometimes. :P Who has ever said that Avatar is one of the best movies ever? I thought it was basically universally thought of as incredibly mediocre but with nice 3D. There's a reason James Cameron has been quoted as saying that if they make enough Avatar movies eventually people will like it, because currently everyone thinks it's utter pish.

Can't say I really enjoyed Warcraft either. I'm sure as a fan of the series and lore it was quite satisfying seeing everything rendered in lovely CGI. But as an outsider who went in with no prior knowledge and judged the movie based purely on its merits as a single independent narrative, it was dreadful. Awful overacting, really nonsense story. Just urgh. It was 90 minutes of brain being thoroughly switched off.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Nah my mate is a massive Warcraft lore nerd and he hated it.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:34 am

Oh you guys do disappointment me so. Take away the Warcraft aspect and name it Rise of the Orcs and it's still a fun and very entertaining film with admittedly hammy acting from the human side of the cast. The lovingly created nuances from the main CGI characters more than make up for it though. Sometimes 90 minutes of brain turned off entertainment is precisely what you need when everything else is trying so desperately to be simply too clever for its own good.

As for Avatar you misunderstood my meaning Dave. I was obviously referring to it being the biggest money spinner commercial movie ever - not the best critical movie ever I just worded it wrongly due to being tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:45 am

I've gotten past the point of trying to defend my taste in films. :p

Gonna watch what I want to, common consensus be damned!
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 am

We shall see if I come to regret this, Underworld Quadrilogy.
Saw it cheap while doing some food shopping this morning and thought, hey, four movies for the price of one? Why not? Plus: Werewolves!

Will be interested to see how these stack up against the Resident Evil films. Both seem to share the same place in my head as equally daft, cheap looking early 00s action affairs. "Prey Movies" if you will. ;)
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

So, how did you find them? Not seen the latest outing yet myself but I've heard good things from fans that it's improved on the last two outings at least.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 am

Haha. What's that old saying? If you don't have anything nice to say...

The first one was barely passable as a post-Matrix action movie.
The second was a big step down.
The third was not unlike dying.
The fourth saved itself mostly by being crazy violent and hamming it up with the 3D effects.

I forgot how achingly self-serious they were. The fourth almost had a sense of humour with it's slapstick goriness at times, but the other three, especially the third, were entertainment vacuums.
... Sorry. 8-[
Last edited by Subway Diet on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 pm

The third film was....unnecessary. The fourth I just lost interest.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:34 am

So, hands up who's getting Rogue One today?

Will be getting it in 3D because I've got the telly that supports it. So why not?
(And now that 4K disks are a thing, 3D movies aren't as embarrassingly priced.)
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:16 pm

So, I watched Rogue One in 3D.
I mean, it goes without saying that the film itself is still really good, for sure. The 3D is quite muted in this one. Aside from a couple of cheesy reaching towards the screen gimmicks when guns are pointed, it's quite muted, almost subtle in it's execution. Just as I was getting settled into the low-key approach the effect came on strong in the third act! All of a sudden, you're in the middle of a space battle being dazzled to all hell!

Haha. Damn it.
I think I've been won over. 3D is pretty damn cool. As evidenced by me re-buying Guardians of the Galaxy at full price just to get another dimension. #-o
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:21 am

I'm still yet to even see Rogue One even though Virgin keep reminding me every single day that it's sat ready to rent for £4.99. Not even seen the last Jedi trailer. I genuinely think the awful Force Awakens has killed my love for all things Star Wars. :?

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:26 am

Prey wrote:I'm still yet to even see Rogue One even though Virgin keep reminding me every single day that it's sat ready to rent for £4.99. Not even seen the last Jedi trailer. I genuinely think the awful Force Awakens has killed my love for all things Star Wars. :?

I think Rogue One is streets ahead of Force Awakens. Only thing I found a bit dodgy was the cgi on Tarkin and Leia, but that was miles away from ruining it for me.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 am

Huh. Watched Ep VII again last night. Not really sure what the problem is. Still think it's great fun and exceptionally well made.
Oh well. More Star Wars for me, I guess. :D
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Rogue one was pretty good. But then I thought force awakens was good also aside from stroppy bad guy. The rest was reasonable viewing.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Picked up three 4k remasters I couldn't resist, HEAT, Goodfellas & Donnie Darko. Also finally picked up Dr.Strangelove & Unbreakable on bluray. HMV must love me atm.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film