The Apprentice 2017 - P58 Onwards

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
katarn

Re: The Apprentice 2017 - P58 Onwards

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Wrathbone wrote:If we're meant to take business lessons from The Apprentice (which clearly we're not), then last night's task demonstrated that cutting corners and treating your customers like shit is the path to success.

The show does seem to reward dodgy, wheeler-dealer antics as opposed to sensible business practices. :lol:

The problem is I don't think they could introduce realistic concepts into it, like performance-based repeat business potential, since the bulk of the audience probably just want drama and aren't fussed about any of that.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Yeah, it's never really been about actual business, it's all about idiots playing at pretend business. Which is fine, I enjoy that. :lol:

I think I mentioned last year what I'd like to see is a new format where each team tries to form a real business across the entire series rather than entirely separate tasks each week. That would be something different at least.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:29 pm

I think that'd be far too niche. I'd personally find that incredibly interesting to watch, but I think it'd probably drive away 75% of the audience who are just watching to see people making arses of themselves.

It'd also be incredibly risky to film; one of the businesses could go bust within the first five weeks and they'd be stuck for the rest of the series. They'd have to structure it in such a way to avoid that without making it too artificial. Not that the way the show currently works isn't artificial as hell anyway, or that this matters at all because there's no way they will ever change the format of such a successful show! It'd be interesting though.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Didn't get to watch this until tonight. Considering what chaos Siobhan seemed to cause last week, I was surprised that her firing seemingly had nothing to do with it.

I'd love to know how this show is structured, what the internal rules are, because it doesn't seem to bare any resemblance to real-world process, and I think that's showing more than ever this year. Why would you get seven people onto a phone call to talk about pricings when you could just e-mail a list? Why don't the two sub-teams communicate more? You just wouldn't operate a business in this way, and it's why the contestants always look like such utter fools.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 am

I know that in general tech is not allowed - no smartphones etc other than for phone calls.

The thing that made me wonder is whether the contestants are allowed to reach out to Claude and Karen in the boardroom. The awful humourless lass, who I generally dislike, was bang on in her assertion that she went into her negotiation with no idea as to costs, margins or anything else. Claude said as much, and when she was getting battered by the ditzy twins who went in with her, I was wondering why she didn't just refer back to him and say "Claude, you heard the conversation, am I wrong here?"

Got to say, how the lads result could be viewed at anything like a win was just staggering.

Most of all though, I am in the wrong job. £700 for half an hour's work from the magician, who was it, Dynamo?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 pm

God fucking damn what is this ridiculous verbal trend of mis-using ‘myself’in sentences? All these useless cunts seem incapable of referring to themselves as ‘I’ or ‘me’? Learn some grammar as well as some common sense you fucking turds.

It isn’t just an Apprentice thing, I hear it all the time at work and it drives me mental.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Can you give this eejit here an example in a sentence of what you mean Ian?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 am

I haven't noticed it myself (see what I did there) but I imagine the sentence goes something like :
"Myself and blondie did some maths and it was wrong"

The point being 'myself' should never be without 'I' or 'me'.

Anyway, this really great crap TV. I can pull it to pieces for the way the assessors peeps seem to one minute say to the camera, 'They need to stop messing around, get the deal and leave. Speed up!' but then in the boardroom tear one of the contestants a new one for being too fast getting the deal done... so which one is it then?

None of them knew what scarlet doeskin was, neither did I but would have at least guessed at some sort of fabric/fur.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am

Rusty wrote:I haven't noticed it myself (see what I did there) but I imagine the sentence goes something like :
"Myself and blondie did some maths and it was wrong"

The point being 'myself' should never be without 'I' or 'me'.

It should be "Blondie and I", strictly speaking. I can understand this sounding slightly too formal for some, but "Me and Blondie" is too far the other way (and traditionally incorrect), so it becomes "Myself and Blondie". It still makes perfect sense though, so I'm fine with it.

I get the feeling the guy who went last night (can't even remember his name) really did think himself above others. He was making a number of "genius" jokes in You're Fired, and then trying to laugh them off; it sounded like a defense mechanism as much as anything. I don't think there's much else to say, other than trying to get a word in with Sugs, I don't remember him doing anything, which was why he was fired anyway. I did find it absurd that they were struggling to find a football scarf... for a London team... in London. I know next to nothing about football; are the scarves ridiculously expensive new or something?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 am

The shop they ended up buying the scarf in would have been the first type of place to look!
Same with bricks...why was that so hard?

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 am

Both teams probably did the best you could expect of them with that task. Basically thrown on a ship and given a map of a foreign city they have to provide a tour of the next day.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:13 am

katarn wrote:Both teams probably did the best you could expect of them with that task. Basically thrown on a ship and given a map of a foreign city they have to provide a tour of the next day.

Both guilty of massively over-promising what was on offer, though, which a quick call between the team and sub-team should have revealed. In particular I'm amazed that more of the people promised a ride around Bruges on segways didn't ask for refunds.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am

Yeah, I guess they made some mistakes in communicating the tours initially.

But as for the day itself, they're on a hiding to nothing on a task like this I reckon. I think it's the one episode so far where I actually gave them a free pass when they made mistakes, got lost, etc. Don't really blame them at all.

Eny

Postby Eny » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm

I think this was one of those exercises to see what the task does to the candidates rather than what the candidates do to the task....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Yeah, having to put on a city tour for a city that nobody had apparently visited before after one day of research is patently absurd, and trying to sell something before the thing has actually been designed is just stupid. Why would you *not* communicate with the planning team before taking money off clients, especially when refunds were a threat right from the start?

And I can't see why Sarah Jayne was fired; yes she maybe was a little too cautious buying the keyrings (which was a mistake only in hindsight), but the other two were massively unprofessional.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film