Deadpool The Blu Ray 6th June 2016

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Nethlyn

Re: Deadpool The Movie February 10th 2016

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:44 pm

Prey wrote:Deadpool has now defied all the odds and brought in a rather astonishing $260 million worldwide in just three days. Wowzers.

Concerning a certain sequel certain actors are now taking note of its success and weighing in for roles in the follow up...

After all that speculation Deadpool's done the Prometheus and the cinema version's all we're getting with any other extra stuff being deleted scenes on the side. I'm cool with that, might do an Ultron with it and see it a second time then it doesn't matter if I bother with the disc.

Meantime, Stephen Lang is who the fans want for Cable (mostly) so Fox will make sure they get that deal done and probably chuck double-figure millions at Hugh Jackman for him to come back after a break. There's only so much gardening he can do :P
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:42 pm

Going to watch this tonight as part of a belated Valentines gift. Can't wait.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:55 am

The showing I saw this in last night was sold out so here's my thoughts on everything I can pick from my brain about it...

From the moment the opening credits appear on screen you are instantly made aware that this isn't going to be your average movie as the film refers to its own creators in various unflattering ways such as directed by "an overpaid tool". The opening sequence itself is rather lovingly crafted I must say and it jumps right in at showcasing Deadpool as someone who while dressed up in a bright red suit and mask with sharp knives on his back is actually a very relatable character as he acts in a way you have never seen anyone dressed up that way truly act before. He acts like a regular guy sat in the back of a taxi basically amusing himself while on an otherwise boring journey even though his destination will bring about the complete opposite not too long after. It also services to show that you will spend much of the film feeling like a fly on the camera lense looking in at the ongoing proceedings only for the actor to spot you sitting there and start talking to you directly. It's odd but it's so great.

Straight away you just know you are going to soak up every single moment Deadpool appears on screen with his unconventional ways and making sure you the audience is made aware that he is in fact just as aware of you watching him as he is of being part of an action movie with self referential pop culture inspired overtones. And my god does it work a treat. It's bolstered by one of the best movie scripts this kind of movie has ever had too and you will genuinely lose count at the amount of visual nods and talked about references to other movies some of which are blatant and some of which require a very keen eye to even spot.

As much as you warm to how different the take on the style of movie is you do wonder if after 10 minutes it will start to wear off and become something of an annoyance, it doesn't. The way the movie is expertly handled by way of not just wading through a traditional step by step origin account and is actually told in well paced flashbacks really helps the movie stay feeling fresh even with the inclusion of a few scenes that can feel a little long winded it is Ryan Reynolds himself that at times delivers a surprisingly deep and emotional character so it is not all just bullet wounds and fourth wall breaking hilarity. If you have ever seen his turns in Blade III or Buried or even The Nines you will know he is a pretty versatile actor given the right subject matter and he really makes a great effort to keep Deadpool/Wade as rounded a character as possible. You pity him. You back him. Job done on both counts.

The action sequences in this need to be mentioned as whoever it is that was Ryan's stunt double should be commended from the off as he pulls off some of the most amazing shit you will see in any movie of this kind and it's often presented in beautiful slow motion so you appreciate it all the more. I was actually a little taken back at just how well done most of the movie is given its meagre $50 million budget as what it lacks in terms of scope and scale it more than makes up in quality.

Ed Skrein btw was a great bad guy I thought and you really loved to hate the guy just as much as Deadpool does. A little one dimentional sure but considering other roles he's done I really enjoyed him in this. "What's my name?" The fight the two have together is bloody fantastic too including one part when Ed (Ajax) throws an axe at Deadpool mid fight, Deadpool catches it and throws it right back at Ajax who also then catches it and they continue fighting. It's relentless and all occurs in just a few seconds. That scene when...

Spoiler: show
Deadpool can be seen below speling out Francis' name in bodies then standing there waving up at him from below. :lol:

The film also never stops reminding you that this is in fact an X-Men movie. The blackbird is present. Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters is too and at one point Deadpool knocks on and comments that only two people are ever present at the building and how they must not have had the budget for more X-Men in the movie. There's references galore concerning not just the X-Men and much of the stuff that has gone on in the universe to date but also at the very actors themselves.

What surprised me even more still was Colossus. I have always been an avid fan of the character forever and I always hated the versions they fed us in the X-Men movies and like many I was worried they wouldn't do him justice once more. I was wrong. THAT IS EXACTLY HOW YOU DO COLOSSUS. It's like when you have a favourite comic character and you wait forever for them to be put on the big screen and finally someone does them justice and you just go "now that is how I always wanted them to be, yes!" he is just so perfect from the way he looks (which I think is some truly fantastic cgi work given the tiny budget) to how he sounds down to his constant droning speeches when he he trying to convince Deadpool he has bigger plans for him as part of The X-Men line up. His fight with Angel is about as epic as any X-Men related movie has even come close to being and it was made all te better that it didn't even for one second look like a person fighting a later added in post CGI based character, it was utterly convincing. I couldn't believe it. There's a scene in which Deadpool attacks him and I actually spat my drink out all over my legs it was just so unexpected and highlighted just how both the character and the "R" rating combined to make it unlike anything you've seen before in the superhero genre.

Both Deadpool and Colossus are done to perfection. All those years I read comics I perceived them both in a very distinct way and both delivered in this movie personas I was not only familiar with but very very happy with. If it is a fitting representation that closest matches the one you had in your head then it's one that has been done justice to IMO.

I will admit I didn't laugh as much as I expected to but then the movie wasn't half as crazy as I expected a lot of the time either (but when it is it's fucking out there completely) and again Reynolds delivers an often sombre tragic character who you really want to come out on top. When I did laugh I actually snorted a bit though. I do believe also that whenever I felt the film fell flat with its jokes it was mostly my own fault for watching far too many clips before I went to see the movie.

At times Deadpool reminded me a hell of a lot of another low budget super hero movie - SPAWN. While that movie wasn't the best looking or best acted or shot I felt it delivered the true essence of what I was hoping would convey well from the comic I had in my hands to the big screen I now sat in front of. Deadpool does exactly the same but does it way better still. As long as the essence remains intact you're mostly part way in delivering what people want. What Deadpool has achieved is a rethinking of expectations amidst a movie genre that has for far too long allowed itself to piggy back in the exact same manner as the movie before and the movie before that and the movie ten years before that.

Deadpool ignores not all but most of those bogged down preconceptions and just says hey you, yeah you, let's mix it up and have some fun with it shall we? In all honesty it delivers the most accurate comic to silver screen movie experience I've seen since DREDD did it so perfectly back in 2012. Sadly were the likes of Watchmen and DREDD failed Deadpool looks like doing the numbers to not only warrant a bigger budget sequel but also for opening the flood gates for other studios to make some very special "R" rated movies that had Deadpool not succeeded perhaps would never have seen the light of day. In that sense alone Deadpool is a very important even dare I say it - historic movie? It could well change everything we know.

Oh and don't forget to stay behind for the after scene credits. Most of all though go out and support this movie, it's perhaps not the game changer many are saying it is but that's not to say it isn't a very important movie in terms of being the one film that has finally broken the sheer cookie cutter monotony of everything else you saw in recent years outside of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Spoiler: show
Paying homage to another fourth wall breaker was pure genuis.

I honestly cannot wait to see what they do with Deadpool 2.

edit: All the references to Wolverine and Hugh Jackman are hilarious too.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 pm

I went to see it and 20 minutes into the movie the fire alarm went off.

Going to see it again on Saturday. :lol:
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:49 pm

I still haven't gotten round to seeing it despite having tickets booked for opening night. Fucking useless bunch of cunts my friends are.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm

With its current haul of $491 Million in just 10 days Deadpool has now earned itself the highest grossing r rated movie of all time beating the previous winner 300.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:04 pm

From a budget of $58 million that's not bad...

Oranje Head

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Given that level of success, you have to wonder why exactly Fox didn't want to make it.

We saw it yesterday, and adored it. It wasn't perfect; the script could have done with a little tightening up in places and the CGI was a little ropey in places, but the inevitably increased budget for the sequel ought to fix that. There was just so much there to love though; the opening credits alone were just about worth the price of admission, and the sheer amount of lewdness, violence and profanity made it a refreshing change from the increasingly formulaic Marvel Studios origin stories.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Glad you liked it Chris bud. Given the budget and general haste the movie got made in I was expecting a bit of a car crash but instead was given one of the most enjoyable cinema experiences i've had in ages, people were clapping and hollering in my showing they loved it that much.

Deadpool more than made up for the shit show that was Avengers 2: Age of Shit and on only a quarter of the budget too.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Prey wrote:With its current haul of $491 Million in just 10 days Deadpool has now earned itself the highest grossing r rated movie of all time beating the previous winner 300.

Given that 300 had 3D money to boost the profit that's an even bigger achievement so Deadpool should easily pass over half a billion before it's gone from the flicks. If I went back to watch it again then it would be for the action, I'm not expecting the comedy to hold up long-term and on Blu Ray it won't matter if you can skip to the fights.

@Raid; I thought the ropey CGI was intentional in the Robert Rodriguez Machete film style but either way it was forgivable with their low budget. If the sequel costs $100million and it's still that bad (or spoiled in the trailers) then that's another story.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:43 am

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:53 am

Nethlyn wrote:
Given that 300 had 3D money to boost the profit

300 didn't come out in 3D, I think you might be thinking of the sequel Ken.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:54 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Nethlyn wrote:
Given that 300 had 3D money to boost the profit

300 didn't come out in 3D, I think you might be thinking of the sequel Ken.

Definitely? Ah right just IMAX money then, I watched it in one of Odeon's first proper IMAXes before they built/took over the one at Waterloo so must have thought it was 3D (the cost was probably the same :) )

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:25 am

Deadpool is in iMAX as well.

Finally saw it last night. OHMYGODITWASAWESOME. Everything I wanted from a Deadpool movie and I can't wait for the sequel ^_^

Oranje Head

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Deadpool 2 confirmed with 'the entire creative team' coming back

20th Century Fox has just announced that Deadpool 2 is official, with studio co-chairman Stacey Snider also confirming that "the entire creative team" is back for the sequel.

Screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, alongside director Tim Miller and star Ryan Reynolds are all back. We all knew a sequel would come, after the insane reception of Deadpool and the money that it made, but official confirmation is just music to my ears. There's no current release date for Deadpool 2, but 20th Century Fox does has two slots ready for mystery projects from Marvel set for October 6, 2017 and January 12, 2018 - hopefully it's sooner, rather than later.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51638/deadpool-2-confirmed-the-entire-creative-team-coming-back/index.html
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film