Game of Thrones

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Caught up with all the episodes now.

It's a real mixed bag I'm finding.

As a TV show, I just don't think it flows that well. When I think of two other HBO series I fell in love with, The Wire & Deadwood, GoT tends to come up quite short in terms of how well-told the story has been and how well the characters have developed. I'm just not enthused with it.

It's well-made, well-acted, watchable and different to what we've seen before - which means it deserves merit - but it doesn't hang together that well in my opinion. It's all far too rushed with no room for the characters to breathe (too many of them and too few episodes). I'm quite enjoying it, and the odd scene here and there has been really well-done, but it hasn't blown me away so far.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Wed May 18, 2011 1:08 pm

I agree that it's not up to the standard of say, The Wire (not by a long shot), but I have thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen so far. I also concede that the flow and pacing are off and that characters need a bit more room to breathe and develop. There are also a few scenes that really stand out for all the wrong reasons, where subtle changes of context have completely altered the overall feel and meaning of an exchange, most notably Dany's wedding night. While I'm on it, some of the dialogue could be slicker and certain characters feel very stilted when speaking - Jorah Mormont and Robb Stark are some of the worst offenders I've noticed so far.

All that said, I do think it's a solid adoption that's fairly faithful to the source material while taking a few (mostly justified) liberties. It's well made, stunning to look at at times, very deep and quite unlike anything else on TV, which alone makes it worth watching, in my book. Given their familiarity with the source material, there's no doubt that some people in the wider fan community are being overly critical of the TV show and really nitpicking in ways that they just wouldn't be able to on other shows. For sure, it's not perfect, but then no book-to-screen adoption ever is.

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed May 18, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm enjoying this more and more as the series progresses. The characters are really starting to flesh out, that scene with Robert and Cersei in particular stood out. The last episode was a rush of activity, I felt that it really took a while to set the scene, and while I enjoyed the episodes it was great to have an episode where things actually happened rather than the threat of something happening the previous episodes carried.

I've gotten pretty far into the book now, but I still haven't caught up with the series. There is definitely much more description put into the books, but I feel the TV show has done a great job of fleshing out the story as best it can with the time available to it. There are some characters whom I do feel differently about in the book, Catelyn in particular, but aside from her the characters in the book don't differ too much from that in the series, and that's a credit to the series.

The Game of Thrones was never going to have the amount of depth The Wire had mostly because of the emphasis on the story. The Wire put things on pause constantly to flesh out particular characters and the story was much more broad than the tighter plot of The Game of Thrones. I wasn't fully sold on The Wire until about season 3, so I can't really make a judgement on which I prefer yet.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon May 23, 2011 1:52 am

I really fear for the next season. I really do.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am

That was my favourite episode so far. From the dialogue in the opening scene "you'll wear it in silence or i'll honour you again" to the staging of the final scene and the way they managed to get across the madness, patheticness but also the slight empathy for Viserys it was the most competently done realisation of the book chapters.

I liked most of the added scenes and dialogue and for once felt they improved the plot by providing context to future events. The Joffery charming Sansa one especially felt very important in explaining her future actions. The main exception being the rather pointless Theon and Roz scene and Robb treating Theon like shit again. It's getting to the stage that Theon's betrayal is almost justified what with all the Starks treating him like shit. What i don't get is Robb trusting him within the context of the show, there's certainly none of the brotherly warmth that was in the book. That said the show could handle Theon's story entirely differently so i suppose i can't really critcise the changes until i see how it shakes out.

Was a pity not to see the wolves again. Even having them worrying the wildling corpses would have been enough if they couldn't get them involved in the fighting.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 am

I'm starting to agree with you about the way Theon is being handled; it's getting a bit too heavy handed now.

I found the final scene incredibly hard to watch even though I knew exactly what was coming. In some ways the sense of crushing inevitability was worse than not knowing how it would play out. It was just really brutal stuff.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 am

Yodith wrote:I found the final scene incredibly hard to watch even though I knew exactly what was coming. In some ways the sense of crushing inevitability was worse than not knowing how it would play out. It was just really brutal stuff.

I thoroughly enjoyed it myself, that was one of the points in the books that I loved - a nasty vicious little bastard getting some serious comeuppance. The show didnt really give Viserys enough backstory for people to properly loathe him (compared to the books), but I thought they nailed his 'crowning' perfectly and I laughed evilly, especially the metallic clank as his head hit the floor :twisted:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm...really not getting Aiden Gillen's performance in this as Baelish so far. I haven't a clue why he's being so wooden & stilted - seen him in other roles where he's been decent.

I'm assuming he was aiming for something cold and steely, I dunno, but book Baelish had real personality. It's the one performance that's coming across a bit pants in an otherwise really well-acted ensemble.

6 & 7 were strong episodes though, probably the best two so far.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Definitely. At first i thought he was just right and he sort of is looks wise but he's just off key in how he portrays him. Not that the writers are doing a good job either. His character has been pretty much sabotaged by the show from an ambiguous manipulator in the books to a boastful pimp in the show. All of his subtlety and murky motives has been cast out and we're given a nicely wrapped explanation for his actions. This has happened in a few chars and it's a big loss as the onion like layering of characters and the gradual understanding of them is one of the best bits of the books.

I also absolutely despise that scene in ep 7 on almost every level. The magic teleporting whore Ros and her tits again has gone long past grating. That she has more screen time than important and interesting chars like Sandor clegane is a complete crime. I found the whole sexual content of that scene gratuitous to the point of being offputting and the tying in with LF's speech felt like a tenuous excuse. I'm also sick of the whole sexposition thing. It's like they feel the audience will switch off during a long speech unless there's a bit of grunting between lines and some tits to stare at. Then there's the whole problem i have with LF even being there let alone vomiting out all his motives and backstory (which we'd already got in previous episodes). Worst of all was the positioning of that scene. It was essentially Littlefinger saying "i'm going to fuck Ned" then a few scenes later we have Ned basing his plans around Littlefinger's fidelity. It must of sucked out a lot of the suprise for first time viewers.

I agree that they were both good episodes (that scene apart, seriously i'd love to just edit it out) and with GRRM writing the next one i'm looking forward to it. Special mention for the Tywin scene. Dance was awesome and while i'm unsure if book Tywin would ever dirty his hands in the skinning of a stag the scene felt like it captured the feel of the books better than any of the made up ones yet. Jaime's cringeworthy "could care less" aside ;)

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah, that prostitute scene did seem a bit gratuitous and drawn out come to think of it. Nice bewbs though. 8)

I guess that segment could have been better spent, story-wise.

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Episode 8 is called "The Pointy End".
Cannot fucking wait.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Just watched the first 3 episodes and am surprised at how much I'm loving it. Was expecting a Spartacus type boob romp (nowt wrong with that...) and got a great show with decent acting. There should be more lecherous dwarfs on TV, Tyrion is the fucking don.

deetz

Postby deetz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

You guys are complaining about hot naked woman on tv. ](*,)

Katarn has redeemed himself with the nice bewbs comment. Reiver on the otherhand. [-X

The whole build up to that last scene in the throne room was great. Kept wishing Ned would do the smart thing knowing full well he wouldn't.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:23 pm

deetz wrote:You guys are complaining about hot naked woman on tv. ](*,)

Don't be such a Edwin.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

deetz

Postby deetz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 pm

:lol:

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film