Game of Thrones

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
deetz

Postby deetz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Adam wrote:Looking forward to this, have never read the books though. Reckon I'll still get something out of it?

Definately. If you have the time then read the books as they are truly fantastic reads but you don't need to have read them to enjoy the tv series.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:41 pm

HBO have confirmed the second season is being made:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game- ... s-renewed/

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Can I ask, is this just the first book they are doing? Or is it the whole series?

deetz

Postby deetz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:41 pm

First book is season 1, second book is season 2 etc...

Thats how i understand it anyway.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Yep, it's one book per season. At least for the time being..

But I fancy they might do something a bit different when it comes to structurally sorting out two seasons of AFFC + ADWD. Like mixing them together.

For the TV series, I can't see them putting on hold major character's stories for an entire season like Martin did with the book as it currently stands. Don't think it would work.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:09 pm

If it is popular enough i suppose they might break ASoS into two or maybe 1 and a half seasons. There's certainly an obvious climax point about 2 thirds in that would make a great season end.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:48 pm

There's talk of Season 2 being 12 episodes long. If they wanted to do all of ASOS in one series, I reckon they'd need 16 episodes.

Zael

Postby Zael » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 pm

:shock:

Wow a lot of analysis from just one episode. If The Wire got that meticulous dissection on its first episode it'd be fucked.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Reiver wrote:If it is popular enough i suppose they might break ASoS into two or maybe 1 and a half seasons. There's certainly an obvious climax point about 2 thirds in that would make a great season end.

Looks like that's exactly what they plan to do: http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2 ... s|OnTheAir

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Sounds fantastic.

I'd imagine they would combine the final third of ASOS with parts of AFFC and ADWD and then have the fifth season as AFFC and ADWD.

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:04 pm

While they are planning a season per book, I have read somewhere that the plot could deviate from the novels come the second season.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 am

Zael wrote::shock:

Wow a lot of analysis from just one episode. If The Wire got that meticulous dissection on its first episode it'd be fucked.

Don't forget though that this is the televised version of one of the primo fantasy series ever written, and a set of books that many on here (myself included) absolutely love.

No matter how good they made it, it was always going to get some heavy scrutinising.

For myself, I really liked it. There were a few bits that jarred, the brothel scene for example, that dreadful representation of medieval feasting that always gets trotted out (beards all bellowing with laughter for no good reason etc), but generally I thought they nailed the major elements as well as could be expected.

Dany and Viserys were great (can't wait to see him 'crowned'), and really looking forward to the Dany character progression. The scene between Jon Snow and Tyrion was excellent, and Jaime and Cersei come across as I had envisioned them from the books.

Bring on the next episodes is all I can say!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

deetz

Postby deetz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Its out now!

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Better episode than the first imo. Wasn't too sure at the start but once it got going everything came together well. Overall it just feels like they're pursuing plot over character development. While that's understandable given the amount they get through it loses the fine detail that made the books great and there are obvious moments where a nice line or bit of complexity is cut.

*spoilers*

They've not really managed to get across the size of the Dothraki horde yet. I understand them wanting to use CGI sparingly as it can look really fake but at the same time the Khalasaar feels like it's only a few hundred strong at best.

The speech about the grass in Asshai was a really strange choice. I know it's straight from the book (almost word for word) but it felt so superfluous vs. the description of the Dothraki sea (which is also in that bit of the book) that i wonder why they chose that bit. At the same time it throws in another random name without context to baffle non book readers. It makes me wonder if this bit has been tagged as some sort of foreshadowing by GRRM that will pay off in the 5th or 6th book.

I heartily enjoyed Tyrion pimp slapping joffrey. That actor just has a face made for that treatment.

Next up is the massive change from the book. Cersei and Cat's scene in Bran's sickroom. It's not just the scene being new that made this so strange but it also seems to go against Cersei's book character entirely and also book history. That she carried a baby of Robert's to term is a shock but that she appears to have loved it is even more suprising. This may be part of them trying to make Cersei more of the victim of Robert and how she started off trying to make it work (as Headey said in an interview) rather than being twisted and evil from the get go but it was slightly jarring. There's still enough Cersei bitchiness in there that it's not too redeeming (the whole grief one-upmanship) and of course there's the fact she's part responsible for the whole situation so not too empathetic.

They get the black hair reference in which works as a clue but i do wonder how they're going to deal with the scene where she confesses to Ned. In that she talks of aborting the baby the one time Robert got her pregnant but an abortion and killing a new born are rather different. i guess we'll have to see whether they make her more or less diabolical.

The Arya Jon scene was nice but unfortunately lacked the context it had in the book since they cut the bran v tommen sparring scene. I also missed them speaking together and the don't tell Sansa thing. I know that sounds pernickety but the sweetness and simplicity of these scenes contrasted so well with what's to come that i feel it's important. On the other hand the demonstration of how close Arya and Jon probably isn't as necessary.

After that i was pleased with all the scenes. The add of Jon and Ned saying goodbye was nice and really helped set up R+L=J. The doreah Dany scene was considerably more tasteful than i expected. I got a real kick out of Tyrion's "grumkins and snarks delivery". Can't decide if Dinklage sucks at accents or whether this is a deliberate affectation. I'd love it if, in later episodes, the overblown arrogance and enunciation is dropped when he's in danger. Only slight dissapointment was Headey didn't deliver the "we have a wolf line" with the quiet venom i'd hoped for and her rant to robert about the "man she married having a pelt on her bed by sundown" was cut. They really nailed the Robert's cowardice at decision making.

With regard to the weapons i always had the dagger considerabley smaller in my head. I understand them increasing how ostentaious it looks rather than just having it be Valyrian steel but i'm not sure i see Littlefinger handling something that size with the same casualness. The lack of Ice in the second last scene was a pity as it lost some of the reverence Ned gave to killing the wolf. i suppose a dagger worked better visually.

Shit, wrote more than i intended again :(

Preview of ep 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUImCkli ... r_embedded

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:02 pm

You go into way too much detail with your analysis of each episode.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film