Game of Thrones

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:39 pm

Pew-Pew wrote:You go into way too much detail with your analysis of each episode.

Haha I have to say, when reading your dissections I do find myself thinking "This is someone who really fucking knows the books backwards". I think they are a fabulous series and have read them each a couple of times but I could not go into a tenth as much detail :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

deetz

Postby deetz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Cersei and Cat's scene in Bran's sickroom.

I thought she was just being a sly old bitch and pretending to be all caring and understanding.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I didn't mean to write that much. The thing is the books are so deep and finely balanced that every little thing seems important. I'm also a tad obsessive about them and i guess i'm scrutinising every scene for changes and their significance in the same way i've got used to reading the books. Still, if you go to Westoros.org there's pages and pages of posts that make mine look sane and normal. People writing full essays on single scenes.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 am

For those that have Sky, there is a programme on Anytime at the moment, a book show special, where Joe Abercrombie interviews GRRM about ASOIAF.

Well worth watching.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 am

Really good episode this week. Part of this i think is down to the more settled feel since characters aren't being introed or travelling about but also it seems scenes and focuses on characters last longer and aren't chopped up as the story flits between the different strands. Like with the dialogue it seems the show is best when it sticks to the books format of almost chapter like focuses.

There's a few invented scenes this week that were the low lights for me. Jamie was always going to be a difficult character as he's a major player but really only makes a couple of (very important) appearances in the story of the first 2 books. So while i understand the need to give the actor something to do, like with last weeks talk with Jon, the Jamie scene felt shoehorned and pretty superfluous. It doesn't help that for a lot of these added scenes i feel they've mangled the character voice and the book geek inside me just keeps shouting "wrong, he/she wouldn't say that" the war for cersie's Edwin line was win though and a nice bringforward from the later books. I realise that they've made some characters totally different and i should compartmentalise better between the two versions but the scenes that are word for word from the book such as the old Nan story or Arya/Ned scene absolutely zing and make it hard to shut off the book geeks voice.

few thoughts: it's weird they chose to intro renly with no explanation as to who he was since the book scene (despite us as readers already having met him) made for the perfect establishing dialogue with Ned remarking how much he looks like his brother Robert.

Aidan Gillen is as good as expected.

No Donal Noye :( But giving his lines to Tyrion worked well and really helped establish the bond between him and Jon and make up for some of the cut dialogue between them.

Changing Bran's favourite stories to being about Duncan the tall rather than Bran the builder felt like an improvement from the book. A little thing but good for the character.

Edit: preview for next weeks ep: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/inde ... IAdc8XOA==

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Reiver wrote:Really good episode this week. Part of this i think is down to the more settled feel since characters aren't being introed or travelling about but also it seems scenes and focuses on characters last longer and aren't chopped up as the story flits between the different strands.

Yes, agreed. I found it hard to get invested in the storyline with the previous two episodes as they were forever introducing new elements.

I've got the book sitting in front of me (the missus has been asking me to read it for months now); I'm not sure whether to see the series to the end first, or start reading it now.

Zael

Postby Zael » Mon May 02, 2011 10:02 pm

A TV series works that way though. There's no point reading into the first few episodes because you need a whole season or even sometimes more before you get the full picture of how good it actually is.

Look at The Wire for instance.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 pm

The Wire is an interesting comparison (I've just finished watching the first season and have the rest on the way). Game of Thrones is similar in so far as each episode isn't self-contained and doesn't always wrap up with a neat conclusion or cliffhanger. Instead it is all slowly building up to an end of season crescendo. I expect that those who haven't read the books will be hooked by some of the coming plot developments.

There definitely seems to be more of a focus on character development this week despite the new additions of Littlefinger, Varys, Renly and Pycelle. Robert's drunken tirade at Jaime and Lancel (who looks far more feminine than I ever would have expected) was very revealing, as was the new scene with Joffrey complaining about the Northerners to Cersei. I'm not sure quite why they hammered home the point about him not wanting to marry Sansa, since this never came up the book, nor did Cersei's insistence that he is welcome to fuck whores after she produces an heir. The latter, to some extent, foreshadows some of Joffrey's threats in ACOK and ASOS but it doesn't really fit with what we know of Cersei and her concern for her children's wellbeing.

The scene with Arya and Syrio was one of the best of the series so far and having Ned watch unbeknown from the door with that look upon his face really gets across the point that the time for games is over.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 pm

I really, really enjoyed that episode. You can see how this was based such a good book. The dialogue is so evocative. ^_^

The training scene at the end of the episode was so enjoyable and such a good way to end it.

HBO have done such a good job with this :D

edit

OMG I need to start up learning fencing again ^_^
Will debase self for credits.

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Tue May 03, 2011 10:58 am

Yodith wrote:The scene with Arya and Syrio was one of the best of the series so far and having Ned watch unbeknown from the door with that look upon his face really gets across the point that the time for games is over.

Just so.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Finally watched the first two episodes.

I think it's very nicely done. What problems the show has are problems which are probably inevitable - ie, only 10 episodes to show about 15 episodes (at least) worth of story, leading to some clunky exposition at times. The issues of the budget limitations, despite the already big HBO budget, having an effect on certain elements; at times it feels a bit too constrained. Also the direwolves are as problematic as you'd expect for a TV production.

But what few special effects shots there have been have been excellent - in particular the bells ringing over the King's Landing cityscape, etc.

It's hard to know how much I rate it at this stage, since I know what's going to happen before it happens and I'm judging it differently to how a non-book reader would - but it's still gripping, well-acted and very well made. It just oozes quality, regardless of a few mis-steps here and there.

I'll save them up on Sky+ and watch them in batches I think.

Zael

Postby Zael » Tue May 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Picked up the first book today, looking forward to getting into it.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat May 07, 2011 11:37 pm

T'is brilliant. Check out the George R R Martins topic in the books sub forum. I'm about half way through it just can't get around to reading it.

deetz

Postby deetz » Wed May 11, 2011 11:11 am

Hodor!

Like the actor portraying Samwell Tarly. Close to how i imagined him to look and act.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am

Sam was great, a very accurate portrayal of the character in the book, I thought.

I love how they started adding detail to minor (at this stage) characters like Theon, Gregor and Sandor. It feels like they're really starting to communicate the depth of the books and the show feels so much the richer for it.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film