Game of Thrones

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Raid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 am

Animalmother wrote:The Iron Islands managing to build a huge fleet from scratch and still make it to Westeros before Dani is a bit ridiculous though.

Yara's Ironborn sailed to Essos after leaving the Iron Islands, and spent half of the last season there. Still, I didn't realise that Dragonstone is just outside Blackwater Bay; I'm surprised that the two fleets didn't come to blows.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:13 am

The travel times in the series have gone a bit doolally, to the point where it's best not to think about it too carefully. My head-canon is that there are long periods of time we're not shown where people are moving about, but Varys clearly has a speedboat or private helicopter he's not sharing.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am

Raid wrote:
Animalmother wrote:The Iron Islands managing to build a huge fleet from scratch and still make it to Westeros before Dani is a bit ridiculous though.

Yara's Ironborn sailed to Essos after leaving the Iron Islands, and spent half of the last season there. Still, I didn't realise that Dragonstone is just outside Blackwater Bay; I'm surprised that the two fleets didn't come to blows.

Ah, fair enough. I thought Theon and his sister knicked those and sailed to Dani.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Wrathbone wrote:The travel times in the series have gone a bit doolally, to the point where it's best not to think about it too carefully. My head-canon is that there are long periods of time we're not shown where people are moving about, but Varys clearly has a speedboat or private helicopter he's not sharing.

Yeah, you really have to suspend your expectations over that kind of thing. I immediately was reminded of that when Bran turned up at the Wall having been pulled the entire way from the far north on a sled, by a teenage girl and with a small army of white walkers right on their tail last time we saw them.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm

And considering it took them a couple of years to get up there in the first place with Hodor lugging Bran, either they went south really fast or went north really slowly. Was Hodor going in circles for 18 months?

Also Gendry's presumably still on that boat from the end of season 2...

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Was Hodor going in circles for 18 months?

:lol:

I like to think it's a combination of that plus the fact that going south is all downhill so Bran could really make use of that sled.

And nice to see that the legend of Gendry still thrives online:
Spoiler: show

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Mantis wrote:

Beautiful.

I tend to think that each season is a year in our time, otherwise the youngest actors' aging doesn't make sense. It does make travel times absurdly inconsistent though. I guess you just have to assume that time flow is entirely plot dependent.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Got to love the Gendry memes. :lol:

I also assume a season is about a year. In I think season 5, Sam almost suggests as much when he says he's know Jon for years.

Photos!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:51 pm

That was a quality episode and no Ed fucking Sheeran.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Another pretty solid episode. I'm finding that this season is really hammering home how different things are from the books by this point though. The Sam scenes have all been great, but nothing that happened this episode with him is ever going to happen in the book. The deviations they've made are really hit and miss between things like that this week and things like the god damn Sand Snakes and the whole Dorne subplot.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Aye the Sand Snakes, piss poor dialogue and acting from all involved there.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 pm

That stuff is weak even in the books.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Disagree. I thought the reveal in Feast for Crows where Doran Martell stops Arriane from crowning Myrcella queen because he had been plotting to bring back the Targaryens all along was a cool twist, even if the subplot with Quentyn Martell didn't really end up going anywhere. You still got the idea that Dornish were being very sneaky and playing the long game, and it was all still far better than the lesbian-warrior-kill-all-the-men routine the show has relegated it to.

The books maintain the political intrigue throughout whereas the show pretty much abandoned all of that from season 4 onwards in a mad rush to finish everything.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:15 am

100% the rest of the season will be Jon and Dany forming an 80s hair metal band called Dragonwolf. That's what I want to happen, at least.

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 am

Raid wrote:Still, I didn't realise that Dragonstone is just outside Blackwater Bay; I'm surprised that the two fleets didn't come to blows.

They listened!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film