Game of Thrones

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
eVoL

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby eVoL » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 am

All the last season left me with was a desire to read the books but after he's written them all because I don't want to be super pissed if he goes and dies on us.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 am

Snowy wrote:This was a fairly heated debate at the pub recently. I got told I had a sense of entitlement because I had read the books while my friend (who hadn't) just got to enjoy violence, bewbs, dragons and bewbs. He saw absolutely nothing wrong with the way the season had gone.

I really struggled with a response that would make sense. I ended up with the analogy of going to see Wagner's Ring cycle in full (I can't stand opera, but know that it is usually performed over 4 nights as it is so long) only to have the final night being made up of Dragonforce guitar solos. Not sure how much impact I made on my mate's argument, but some folks agreed with me at least.

It's only a false sense of entitlement if you demand something you don't have a right to. Expecting something to be better than it is has nothing to do with entitlement.

As much as I still love the show completely, it's definitely lost the subtlety and deftness that the earlier seasons had. I thought about where it started to falter and I concluded it was mid-season 4, not long after Joffrey's death. Coincidence or not, the Purple Wedding was the last episode GRRM wrote the script for, and after that his involvement with the show has been mainly advisory. Or it could just be that mid-season 5 is where it caught up with the books and the show-runners are nowhere near as good as GRRM.

I don't resent the lowering quality, as there are practical reasons why they had to do it the way they have. When season 1 started, I think everyone expected book 6 to be out with time to spare and book 7 to either be released or well on the way by the time the show got there, so you can't blame HBO for not waiting until the books were finished. When it became apparent that the show was going to overtake the books, pausing the show for a few years would have been potentially disastrous (they would have had to pause at season 4 or 5, so we'd probably still be waiting), so pressing on was the only sensible choice. And then the lack of GRRM to help in depth and source material to work with made everything much more difficult. What I'm saying is, I enjoy it for what it is and I don't blame HBO or anyone involved with it for the way it's turned out. I've always said the show and the book are different beasts - two different tellings of the same story - and that's not a bad thing.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 pm

I agree with all that Wrathbone also. Especially the bit about the quality of the show going down since Joffery kicking the bucket. There have been bright points since then with the sparrow and such but on the whole it's lost much of its former greatness.

I get the feeling that Martin is a bit persona non grata with the tv series. Apparently he has become a bit of an entitled difficult to please pop star type since all this got so massive.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am

I just realised yesterday, why did Jon Snow not take a load of Dragon Glass weapons with him for his expedition beyond the Wall, he just came from a Dragon Glass mine.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:36 am

Said the same thing.

Not enough time to refine I'd wager, the stupid plan would only be successful if he was brash, idiotic and lacking anything like a plan. Probably.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am

They did take dragon glass daggers with them. Dragon glass, valyrian steel and fire are the only things that kill wights. There's a quick clip where the Hound is using Gendry's hammer to pummel one of them but it keeps coming back at him, so he drops the hammer and starts using a dragon glass knife instead. Easy to miss.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:30 am

I'm sure they were there long enough to forge a few swords.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 am

Mantis wrote:They did take dragon glass daggers with them. Dragon glass, valyrian steel and fire are the only things that kill wights. There's a quick clip where the Hound is using Gendry's hammer to pummel one of them but it keeps coming back at him, so he drops the hammer and starts using a dragon glass knife instead. Easy to miss.

they freeze and turn to dust when glassed, totally wasn't happening in that fight. Just st looked like they were beating them back/dismembering them rather than killing.

Doesn't matter anyway, stupid as fuck whatever was happening. Pretty sure we can retire jumped the shark and replace it with went beyond the wall.

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 am

Was sitting here at work musing over the seasons. I've started watching again from the beginning, and am in Season Two at the moment. I've come to realize who my favorite character is: Tywin Lannister, played by Charles Dance. The back and forth between he and Arya in Harrenhall (sp?) is some of the best dialog in the show, in my opinion. The fact that Tywin is so sharp and basically unflappable is what gets me smiling during his scenes. He's not afraid of an intelligent adversary, and the way he recognizes Arya's smarts as they interact is really awesome to watch. Charles Dance is an absolutely perfect fit for the character, I can't think of another man that could play Tywin so well. He's my new idol, I think :)

So, anyone want to toss in their opinion of favorite character/interaction/etc? We've got a while to wait . . . .

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:56 am

Yeah, Tywin was my favourite too, for much the same reasons. Dance played him magnificently, particularly the sense of threat and malice that lurked beneath just about every line he delivered. His scenes as Hand of the King were my favourites - the scene where Joffrey excitedly announces the death of Robb Stark, after which Tywin sends the king to bed without any supper is still one of the most memorable parts of the show.

In general my favourite characters have been the plotters, the politicians and those who could slice a man down the middle with one well considered utterance. Sadly we only really have one character that matches that description now, because everyone else has either been killed off or ruined by boring writing. I never really found the traditional heroic types especially compelling.
Last edited by Raid on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:56 am

Dance as Tywin and Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon are my two favourites on the show. Addy was just utterly perfect and totally stole season one. Some of his scenes remain as my favourites in the show even now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 am

Gods yes, I'd forgotten Mark Addy. He was superb too.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am

Tyrion steals it for me. Serious when needs be, funny most of the time and a smart cookie to boot. Plus he... spoilers!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Another vote for Bobby B here. START THE FIGHT BEFORE I PISS MYSELF!

It's easy to dismiss him as a terrible king, but in fairness under his rule there were 17 years of peace with only one rebellion which was put down quickly. I mean, yeah, he bankrupted the realm to the point where it was a ticking time bomb, but compare that to everyone who's sat on the Iron Throne since and a fiscal crisis is a breeze.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Although he wasn't the best acted by any means I liked any scenes with Joffery cos he was such a hateful little twunt. The tywin scenes are there too. That one where he's butchering the stag and giving Jamie a ticking off is great. He proper had to get hands dirty there and act at same time.

Enjoyed all the seasons up until the dearth of Oberon and Joffery after that they just dipped slowly but surely. The final 6 episodes have a lot to regain.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film