Postby Wolfy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 pm

It was bloody lovely in 3D though. ¬_¬
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Mantis
Admin

Re: Dredd

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 pm

We only had one 3D viewing per day and it was at about 9pm. Woefully under-shown, I think a lot of people who aren't even fans of Dredd would have enjoyed it had it been given more reasonable slots.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 am

The main reason I still consider buying a 3D TV.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Yurp. Its one of those rare things in life that inspires insane purchases. 3D tvs, 3D projectors, oculus Rift support for 3d movies, just everything!

I bought film props! I have to say that every so often just to remind myself of the effect this thing had on me. Ive done nothing like it before or since!

Dredd had phenomenal writing, or in relative terms to what was essentially put through as a movie about blasting folk in the face. Up there with Robocop and those other big subverted commentaries on police states and authoritarianism. An action movie that -spoilers- actually ends on a fucking downer. We're denied the implied catharsis that violence in action movies is supposed to bring, just another chunk of meat on the slab before moving on to the next potential atrocity. Fuck yeah. The acting, directing and editing all working in beautiful concert to produce something genuinely fucking awesome.

A sequel will have the usual players back again i guess but it remains to be seen if we'll ever be so lucky with the rest. Its probably best to look at this movie as lighting in a bottle....until im proven wrong that it is and its thrown back in my cynical fat fucking face :D
Will debase self for credits.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:27 am

I would love a sequel that takes inspiration from the 2000AD backstory. The Dark Judges, the Apocalypse war, the judge child, the Angel gang etc.

I have a friend who, like me, is a fanatical JD fan. He turned the film off quite early on (I am working on rectifying this) due to it missing all the opportunities the subject matter offered. While I have tried to hammer home that this was just 'a day in the life' story, a one-prog story if you will, I know what he means.

His view is that JD has such a rich story, evolved over decades, that not using it is like having Batman without Joker. He is right but man does he need to watch the film regardless!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am

*looks at Batman Begins*

Yeah...

I think that in order to garner interest in the film and thus get the cash in they needed to play something more generic so that people unfamiliar with the subject matter wouldn't get turned off by it.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:36 pm

That's a reasonable observation and personally I had no issue with the day in the life approach. Can see both sides on this one though, I would love to see the Dark Judges given the proper big-screen treatment.

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 pm

The thing is there's so much they literally could have thrown into the mix had they done so people would have come out utterly overwhelmed by it all and not in a good sense either. DREDD gave the audience a very minimal day in the life and this helped to gently introduce things in a way that wasn't confusing or horrendously multilayered. Most who enjoyed the film came walking back out with a fair understanding of what Mega City One and being either an inhabitant or Judge is actually all about without it being confusing or slap dashed.

Stallone's Judge Dredd however while still not going all out attempted to explain the in's and outs of your typical Block Wars, The Long Walk, ABC Warriors, hints of clones and the DNA of the finest Judges, Iso Cubes, The Angel Gang, Dredd's absolute unbiased upholding of the law no matter the circumstances, Cursed Earth etc etc and much if not most of it got lost in translation because of this full on approach. How many people came away no doubt taking little to no notice of any if not most of these facts? Just that Stallone was the popular vehicle behind it all.

With DREDD's foundation now already set and extremely well realised a sequel or more could concentrate on bringing about all of the above and so much more besides (as Snowy mentioned) so in the long run having less for now only paved way for more and more importantly for it to be done in a fashion were it was an accurate portrayal of the source material. Of course DREDD already achieved this but I'm talking with an additional factor of 10 or more where everything we always wished we would see connected with the universe was laid out bare on the screen for us all to see. If they manage even half of what they could I'm still fucking buzzing about it.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 am

Karl Urban kept the helmet on and delivered a pitch-perfect performance. Stallone took the helmet off and delivered Stallone. - The Big Dentist

Quoted for truth.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Ok, need for a sequel just went up exponentially!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:25 am

I'd love a sequel tbh. There's ALOT they can draw from, and I appreciated the last film for trying to do it's own thing whilst referencing some of the comics. I think they should go the same route with any other film they did. Whilst I'd love to see some of the comics main arcing stories in film form, they risk a lot if they do it wrong, and I'd rather they carve out their own stories with the Universe to draw inspiration from.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:40 am

Let's play How Many Movies Did You Spot?

Dredd, of course.
Total Recall
Robocop
Doomsday (?)
The Hills Have Eyes
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Plenty I've missed in there as well.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Spotted some Dredd vs Death game footage for a sec there too :D
Will debase self for credits.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:16 am

Don't worry the sound kicks in at around 1:20.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Oh? Oh?
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film