The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Rook

Postby Rook » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 am

I thought the LotR trilogy was cut incredibly well - I didn't feel wanting for anything and it felt concise yet epic.

Two films for The Hobbit does sound a bit over the top though.

RCHD

Postby RCHD » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:58 am

I reread it recently, and I felt a bit let down. I remember it very fondly, and it just didn't quite live up to my expectations. Plus, there isn't a good way to split it in two and have two exciting and climactic films.

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am

I guess they'd stop the first one when
they get spidered.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:21 am

They're not making two films from the Hobbit; just the one. The second movie is apparently going to be one that fills the gap between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Not sure if that bodes well. :?

The seventies cartoon of the Hobbit is pretty good by the way, if seriously dated.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:34 pm

The Snot Goblin wrote:They're not making two films from the Hobbit; just the one. The second movie is apparently going to be one that fills the gap between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Not sure if that bodes well. :?

Yeah, surely it's all just exposition? Gandalf and Aragorn go rough up Gollum a bit, Bilbo gets older and older... not really anything worth making a full film about.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 pm

Jay wrote:Lord of the Rings has 9 books, not including the appendices iirc. If you check some of the older copies of the Lord of the Rings (pre-film ones) and leaf through them, you can see it was originally 9 books, not 3

Again, what?

Lord Of The Rings has always been six books, spread across three parts. It was originally published that way, and apart from single volumes and the occasional special edition that splits the books out into six (sometimes plus appendices for seven), it has always been published as three volumes, with each split into two books.

I think you're confusing nine ringwraiths for nine books. There has never been nine books.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Nobody cares.

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Crowley wrote:
Jay wrote:Lord of the Rings has 9 books, not including the appendices iirc. If you check some of the older copies of the Lord of the Rings (pre-film ones) and leaf through them, you can see it was originally 9 books, not 3

Again, what?

Lord Of The Rings has always been six books, spread across three parts. It was originally published that way, and apart from single volumes and the occasional special edition that splits the books out into six (sometimes plus appendices for seven), it has always been published as three volumes, with each split into two books.

I think you're confusing nine ringwraiths for nine books. There has never been nine books.

Ah right. It's been so long since I last read my big copy that's got them all split up into their original forms that I assumed each volume consisted of 3. Yeah my bad.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 am

VICTOLLY!

Anyway, yeah. Shit news. Someone needs to take the money away from Peter Jackson, he's infinitely better without it.

Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:51 pm

Why has no-one commented on the fact that he's only attatched to produce, not direct? While it's good news to have him on board in any capacity, I think it's a little early to start celebrating until we know who's going to direct the thing.

Nelmsy

Postby Nelmsy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:16 pm

Yeah, for all we know this could be directed by Brett Ratner, McG or Paul W. S. Anderson. Unlikely, but still....

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:09 pm

I've got my fingers crossed for Jerry Bruckheimer. 8)

Photos!

Cheye

Postby Cheye » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Bruckheimer's strictly a producer though, like. :-k

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:18 pm

I'd like to see Chris Nolan do a big fantasy film of this sort.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:32 am

Fuck no. Nolan is way too intense a director to handle high fantasy.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film