The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Medicine Man

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 am

Off to see it tomorrow with the missus. Don't really care if it's any good or not I'm just glad to be having some time away from the kids.

Plus I get to cut a hole in the bottom of the popcorn box. The wife always loves that little party piece. As long as it's the sweet stuff and not the salty, get's a bit nippy otherwise. :D

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Went to see it a few days ago, really liked it. Jackson has a great way of mixing in humorous moments into big action scenes without it being jarring, and it didn't feel nearly quite as long as it was, though that may have been down to me making sure I hadn't drank anything before I went in. :P

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 am

Medicine Man wrote:Off to see it tomorrow with the missus. Don't really care if it's any good or not I'm just glad to be having some time away from the kids.

Plus I get to cut a hole in the bottom of the popcorn box. The wife always loves that little party piece. As long as it's the sweet stuff and not the salty, get's a bit nippy otherwise. :D

Be salty by the time you are done... ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Took my daughter and one of my nephews to see this yesterday. It was very good and didn't feel like over three hours.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Enjoyed that, much better than the first one. Some of the effects were very poor considering who made it, Smaug on the other hand was franticly well done. Making it into 3 movies is taking the piss though, they could have easily dumped the hour of filler in each movie and comfortably made 2 solid films.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Especially as the whole point of the plot will like not stretch past the halfway mark of the third film and then you've just got a huge amount of filler after it. It's like if LoTR had the Saruman in the Shire bit's as most of the third film.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:27 pm

I went before xmas with my missus. I fell asleep about mid way something was happening with elves and barrels or something before i conked out. Next time i remember anything there was a human town and legolas was getting his nose bloodied a bit.

Did i miss much?

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Jez wrote:I went before xmas with my missus. I fell asleep about mid way something was happening with elves and barrels or something before i conked out. Next time i remember anything there was a human town and legolas was getting his nose bloodied a bit.

Did i miss much?

There was a dragon.

Quite a big one.

Just seen it with my 2 youngest, even though a lot of it wasn't in the actual book I really enjoyed it. Was totally obvious when the end credits were going to start rolling though. :lol: (Yes, I know the end of the film :P )
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Saw this over Christmas and despite going in knowing it wasn't going to be much like the books I still didn't really like it. It was too long, there was far too much action, the whole Wood Elf/Dwarf relationship was silly and most of what happened in Lake Town was also pointless, other than showing the Bard can shoot thus setting up the fact that he will shoot Smaug. You might as well have cast the Dwarfs as the same person as they had no character progression and Thorin came off as a right tit, something that is not portrayed in the book.The only real good bit was Smaug and Bilbo at the end, but even that went on a bit and could have done without the chase scene.

So yeah I wasn't overly keen. I did come out of it thinking that it was a better film than the first one, but it still wasn't a touch on the Lord of The Rings Films.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:36 am

Why the Hobbit fucked up

Simply - no time and 2 directors with two totally different visions

"it was bitter sweet but we had such an amazing time" said a crew member. If only we had an "amazing" time watching this pile of shite.

Still have not seen the 3rd one
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 am

Yeah, not seen the third still, likely will not bother, although if it comes on the telly one Christmas maybe I'll give it a go.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:15 pm

I thought the third was the least bad of the three.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm slightly astonished by that. By what criteria do you think it's the best?

I thought the third wasn't just a bad Middle Earth film, it was a bad film outright.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

It's Sylvester McCoy I feel sorry for. I spoke to him at a convention a few years back, a few months prior to the Hobbit coming out. He was so proud to be in a Tolkien film.

Then it turned out to be shit :lol:
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 pm

:lol:

To be fair I quite like Radagast in the films. Of all the needless additions they shoehorned in, his was probably the most successful.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film