Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu May 10, 2018 1:28 pm

American Crime Story 2: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Pretty good. Like all TV now, good acting, compelling and original. I liked the idea the whole film is told in reverse, similar to that French film about a rape I saw a long time ago.

7/10

Started on The Handmaiden's Tale. It is excellent. I can see why it won numerous awards.
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Just finished the second season of the excellent The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Much like A Game of Thrones it has a misnomer, also being named for the first book in Bernard Cornwell's superb Saxon Stories series.

It tells the story of the birth of England from the reign of Alfred the Great and the unification of Mercia, Wessex, East Anglia etc as the Saxons battle the Norse invaders. The story is viewed from the perspective of the protagonist Uhtred of Bebbanberg (Bamburgh - all the place names are in old English), son of an English noble captured by the Danes as a child and raised as one of them. He is then torn between his loyalty to Alfred (which comes about through occurrences in the story) and his Viking 'family'.

I have read all the books which helps my appreciation of the story, no doubt. They are superb, vehicles as are almost all of Cornwell's books to give an eyewitness perspective on key battles and happenings in the period of history when the book is based. If you, like me, have struggled with the show Vikings getting a bit too weird for it's own good and losing the thread of a great story in faux-mysticism, this is the perfect foil. A really good sword-swinging drama series with some great characters and a foundation at least in history.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm

I enjoyed The Last Kingdom Season 2 as well, Snowy. I liked it a lot more than the first season.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Mournblade wrote:I enjoyed The Last Kingdom Season 2 as well, Snowy. I liked it a lot more than the first season.

I agree, the actors really seemed to have grown into their characters, where I felt the first season was a little stilted. It gave me the same vibe as the early episodes of Black Sails, again because the characters did not feel like they had bedded into the roles.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon May 28, 2018 2:45 am

We’ve been watching Safe and it’s a load of swinging old man bollocks! The only redeeming thing is that for some reason they told Michel C Hall to put on a British accent and I can’t not laugh every time he says “ my doh-tah”.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Previous

Return to TV & Film