Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu May 10, 2018 1:28 pm

American Crime Story 2: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Pretty good. Like all TV now, good acting, compelling and original. I liked the idea the whole film is told in reverse, similar to that French film about a rape I saw a long time ago.

7/10

Started on The Handmaiden's Tale. It is excellent. I can see why it won numerous awards.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Just finished the second season of the excellent The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Much like A Game of Thrones it has a misnomer, also being named for the first book in Bernard Cornwell's superb Saxon Stories series.

It tells the story of the birth of England from the reign of Alfred the Great and the unification of Mercia, Wessex, East Anglia etc as the Saxons battle the Norse invaders. The story is viewed from the perspective of the protagonist Uhtred of Bebbanberg (Bamburgh - all the place names are in old English), son of an English noble captured by the Danes as a child and raised as one of them. He is then torn between his loyalty to Alfred (which comes about through occurrences in the story) and his Viking 'family'.

I have read all the books which helps my appreciation of the story, no doubt. They are superb, vehicles as are almost all of Cornwell's books to give an eyewitness perspective on key battles and happenings in the period of history when the book is based. If you, like me, have struggled with the show Vikings getting a bit too weird for it's own good and losing the thread of a great story in faux-mysticism, this is the perfect foil. A really good sword-swinging drama series with some great characters and a foundation at least in history.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm

I enjoyed The Last Kingdom Season 2 as well, Snowy. I liked it a lot more than the first season.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Mournblade wrote:I enjoyed The Last Kingdom Season 2 as well, Snowy. I liked it a lot more than the first season.

I agree, the actors really seemed to have grown into their characters, where I felt the first season was a little stilted. It gave me the same vibe as the early episodes of Black Sails, again because the characters did not feel like they had bedded into the roles.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon May 28, 2018 2:45 am

We’ve been watching Safe and it’s a load of swinging old man bollocks! The only redeeming thing is that for some reason they told Michel C Hall to put on a British accent and I can’t not laugh every time he says “ my doh-tah”.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon May 28, 2018 4:32 am

Snowy wrote: It gave me the same vibe as the early episodes of Black Sails, again because the characters did not feel like they had bedded into the roles.

Ah, that was a fun show.

Yes, I definitely think as the series went on each character became a bit more interesting, though some, it seemed to me (i.e. Max), always seemed like they were trying just a little too hard to be more interesting than they actually were.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 am

eVoL wrote:We’ve been watching Safe and it’s a load of swinging old man bollocks! The only redeeming thing is that for some reason they told Michel C Hall to put on a British accent and I can’t not laugh every time he says “ my doh-tah”.

Yeah, agreed. Watched the first one because of MCH and a decent-sounding premise, but at the end of it, it was a fairly disinterested 'nah' from both myself and my wife.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 29, 2018 10:42 am

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This is quite the odd one as the first thing I will admit is I actually really like the entire cast as they each have their own pretty defined nuances that make them each stand out in their own right with everyone from Perelta to Rosa to even Scully somehow making the show entertaining. Gina and Rosa mysteriously do something for me. -_-

Most odd of all though is considering this is a comedy I never laugh while watching it, ever. Yet I somehow really enjoy my time spent watching it. I've watched episode after episode and never let out a single laugh bubble but I still can't help myself but watch one after another. The stories are mostly dull as hell and the squad rarely leave the actual precinct they are stationed at AND YET I AM STILL SOMEHOW STRANGELY ENTERTAINED.

I've never been a huge fan of Andy Samberg aside from maybe Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping but this is fuck me I'm going to say entertaining again aren't I. Yep. That.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm

One of my favourite TV shows in recent history has been Borgia: Fear & Faith

(Not to be confused with The Borgias, starring Jeremy Irons, though it's the same story about the same people, told in a different way)

It's the story of the ambitious noble family who dominated religion, politics and culture in Rome, and all of Europe from there, during the turn of the 15th/16th centuries and it is exceedingly well done.

Mark Ryder, who plays the charismatic Cesare Borgia, does a fantastic job and is one of the most compelling characters I've seen in a TV show. Regardless of what he does, good or evil, you want him to win!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 am

Mournblade wrote:One of my favourite TV shows in recent history has been Borgia: Fear & Faith

(Not to be confused with The Borgias, starring Jeremy Irons, though it's the same story about the same people, told in a different way)

It's the story of the ambitious noble family who dominated religion, politics and culture in Rome, and all of Europe from there, during the turn of the 15th/16th centuries and it is exceedingly well done.

Mark Ryder, who plays the charismatic Cesare Borgia, does a fantastic job and is one of the most compelling characters I've seen in a TV show. Regardless of what he does, good or evil, you want him to win!

Oh I will look that up then. I think I may have tried watching it, but after enjoying The Borgias (which I loved, and was really sorry to see get canned) it just didn't stick. If it is worth persevering with I will give it another go.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed May 30, 2018 7:08 am

I would say this is a far better show out of the two of them. The Borgias has some good elements, but Cesare in that show is moody, sullen and, in my view, quite dull. Mark Ryder's version is dynamic, charismatic and full of a passionate and explosive energy. This only increases as the story progresses and he gains more power. He is the archetype of the Nietzschean übermensch.

Actually, I generally find all the cast to be superior in this version. It also helps that it comes to a natural end after season 3 and wasn't canned.
Last edited by Mournblade on Wed May 30, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 30, 2018 7:15 am

We've only watched the first episode so far, but it's interesting and has drawn us in. Manhunt: Unabomber is a dramatisation of how the FBI caught the domestic terrorist sending letterbombs through the mail for 17-odd years. If you liked Mindhunters, you'd like this as well.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed May 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Finally got round to starting watching Ballers Season 3 and even just 3 eps in I'm already hooked right back into the world of Spencer, Joe and the all conquering NFL know. It's funny how I'm the least interested in sports guy around and have never been into football or anything similar but I really do love this show as it's a great insight into everything that goes on behind the scenes and the hot property one minute discarded the next player lifestyle that birthed it. The way Spencer is there to represent them and all they can do is make his life more and more difficult.

As much as I can enjoy Dwayne in all his many action movies I feel this now is and shall forever remain his one true seminal role that proves he has more depth to him and one that even though it involves so many things I don't follow he's still a very relatable character and one you want to see succeed in everything he does. With all the hiccups and setbacks along the way. Fantastic show.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Sly Boots wrote:We've only watched the first episode so far, but it's interesting and has drawn us in. Manhunt: Unabomber is a dramatisation of how the FBI caught the domestic terrorist sending letterbombs through the mail for 17-odd years. If you liked Mindhunters, you'd like this as well.

Watched a bunch more of these now, and it's cracking. Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany in the leads are great.

They basically invented a whole new branch of forensics, studying linguistics, to catch the guy, and fascinating to see it all played out.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:We've only watched the first episode so far, but it's interesting and has drawn us in. Manhunt: Unabomber is a dramatisation of how the FBI caught the domestic terrorist sending letterbombs through the mail for 17-odd years. If you liked Mindhunters, you'd like this as well.

Watched a bunch more of these now, and it's cracking. Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany in the leads are great.

They basically invented a whole new branch of forensics, studying linguistics, to catch the guy, and fascinating to see it all played out.

Yes it is a great little show, really enjoyed it.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film