Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tichinde

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Tichinde » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Just finished watching this. I enjoyed it, but I'd also say that I stopped short of loving it. I'm not entirely sure why, but Mrs Boots felt the same, though for different reasons. For me there were times when things seemed to be moving too slowly for me to feel properly engaged, while she loved those bits and wasn't so keen on the parts where things were actually happening.

Yeah, there aren't that many shows we mutually agree on :lol:

Also finished this the other day.
Starts out strong, good intrigue, and then it kinda just dribbles the twists along the way and ends like the last bit of air leaving a whoopee cushion.

It's still well acted, mostly well written, but I found it predictable and it feels very rushed towards the end.
Didn't love it, but again....didn't hate it.

Godless is next for us I think.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 am

Caught up with Peaky Blinders since it clashes with the Apprentice and bingeing ep1-3 of s4 was one long movie with a good halfway peak, I'm interested enough to try to either catch up the rest of them on the night or watch parts 4 and 5 together. I bought s3 online through the BBC Shop but they closed down the streaming and refunded everyone's money so looking forward to its return on iPlayer for Christmas to be completely caught up, Netflix is there for the first two series if I feel like revisiting those.[EDIT] and as of December s3 came down to Netflix right now if you don't want to wait for the nightly BBC4 repeats.

Speaking of Netflix, enjoyed a slower binge of The Punisher over 4 days. I think when you get an excellent Netflix series 13 episodes leaves you wanting more (but for less than excellent, more than 10 eps are too long). Punisher just about stayed the right side of holding your attention until the end, the aftermath for one supporting character was dragged out over two episodes while the final confrontation felt more allied to the comic origins - but with the natural hook for season 2.

Only the episode which went all
Spoiler: show
Lost meets Pulp Fiction showing you the same thing from multiple angles, plus other wartime flashbacks and dreams
felt like it was dragging and meant it was time to take a break every 3-4 episodes on average. No superpowers and vulnerability kept me watching even if Castle's introduction from Daredevil allowed John Bernthal to steal the series; here, he carries his own show as well through the season but the writers take the time to construct his New York world as well as that of Daredevil (I'll have to catch up Cage, Jones and Iron Fist to see if they manage the same).
Last edited by Nethlyn on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Nethlyn wrote:(I'll have to catch up Cage, Jones and Iron Fist to see if they manage the same).

Jessica Jones was very good. Luke Cage had it's moments but was a bit hit and miss. Iron Fist is utter shite from the get-go, and best avoided.

Just finished Godless today, which was a real stand-out, superb in every regard.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Currently also working my way through The Punisher and have reached ep 9 so right after
Madani and Russo had the warehouse face off without her even know it was Pretty boy him who killed her partner
and things are escalating very nicely. I really enjoy David (Micro) as Frank's right hand man as he's far removed from how he has been portrayed in the past and is much more relatable with it. The stark contrast between the two plays off well but there's also common ground there underneath. As much as I adored Jon Bernthal as Shane in TWD it has to be said this role was 100% made for him through and through.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:51 pm

on episode 4 of that show and its painfully slow to get going. wavering on bothering with it further

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:57 pm

I finished watching it just last night and I have to say I enjoyed it for the most part and the ending was suitably fitting
with the rather horrific creation of Billy turning into Jigsaw before our very eyes. Geez that looked painful. Pretty boy no longer!

I'd give it a solid 6 out of 10 but still has plenty of room for improvement hopefully with less er shit where's the remote gone gratuitous sex scenes.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Season 4 of Black Mirror coming to Netflix on December 29th :o

Squee!
My face is tired.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:38 am

Peaky Blinders s4 finished like a stage play but good to do a 3-ep binge to see the lot, one more series is about right with the direction the story's gone and I've got s3 to rewatch in full as a bookend.

Still not got to any Marvel shows but will take them 1-2 eps at a time, no rush with Netflix there's loads of other stuff plus s4 of Sherlock that I didn't catch at the start of the year.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 am

Black Mirror season 4.

It's very good. Dark as shit, but very good.
My face is tired.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:04 am

That was fast. Will take the Black Mirror couple of episodes at a time unless they get addictive like s3, but comedy's different you can leave that on in the background without really watching so will probably binge the two new Dave Chappelle specials coming tomorrow.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 am

In the last week we just hammered though Marcella and River, both really good! Both UK crime dramas with a twist, both have great casting, acting and they go places. River is a self contained mini series but Marcella is getting a second season early 2018 so looking forward to that!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 am

Snowy wrote:Just started watching Godless on Netflix on the recommendation of a mate of mine. Great show so far (3 of 8 episodes down), a western but quite unlike other westerns I have watched.

It is mightily brutal so those of a sensitive disposition probably worth steering clear. From the opening scene - a burning town where every person has been killed, it has had me hooked though. Really different and provided you are not bothered by claret a really compelling watch with a villain that is just superb.

Just finished watching this myself. Was pretty good, wasnt terribly brutal i thought, the occasional scene, certainly no more so than any standard 18 rated movie out there. The story is simple enough, betrayal and deep feelings especially on the part of the villian Frank Griffiths outstandingly played by Jeff Daniels. Every scene with him in it was brilliant. I didnt much get Roy Goodes motivation though in the story as to why he betrayed Griffiths, they laid a lot of fatherly history down between the pair so i sort of wasnt getting the betrayal aspet, went with it anyway. I felt a lot of threads in this werent pulled out enough for my liking for example, the whole backstory on Alice and the Pioot Grandmother, would loved to know more there.

This apple hasn't fallen far from its spaghetti western roots in my opinion, certainly not as far as say Unforgiven or The Revenant its not quite as grim as either of those.

This is good TV though and at 7 episodes doesnt outstay its entertainment, 7 was just right.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Just started Godless myself. Only watched one episode so far.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm

It is quite good mate. Enjoy.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 am

Sly Boots wrote:Black Mirror season 4.

It's very good. Dark as shit, but very good.

What did I say about a couple of eps at a time...watched the first ep yesterday and binged the rest today, slow but addictive and only skipped the one out of sequence (Hang the DJ).

Metalhead wasn't the best episode this series but being the shortest and fastest, makes it the most rewatchable even if only one character is properly developed.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film