Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tichinde

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Tichinde » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Just finished watching this. I enjoyed it, but I'd also say that I stopped short of loving it. I'm not entirely sure why, but Mrs Boots felt the same, though for different reasons. For me there were times when things seemed to be moving too slowly for me to feel properly engaged, while she loved those bits and wasn't so keen on the parts where things were actually happening.

Yeah, there aren't that many shows we mutually agree on :lol:

Also finished this the other day.
Starts out strong, good intrigue, and then it kinda just dribbles the twists along the way and ends like the last bit of air leaving a whoopee cushion.

It's still well acted, mostly well written, but I found it predictable and it feels very rushed towards the end.
Didn't love it, but again....didn't hate it.

Godless is next for us I think.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 am

Caught up with Peaky Blinders since it clashes with the Apprentice and bingeing ep1-3 of s4 was one long movie with a good halfway peak, I'm interested enough to try to either catch up the rest of them on the night or watch parts 4 and 5 together. I bought s3 online through the BBC Shop but they closed down the streaming and refunded everyone's money so looking forward to its return on iPlayer for Christmas to be completely caught up, Netflix is there for the first two series if I feel like revisiting those.[EDIT] and as of December s3 came down to Netflix right now if you don't want to wait for the nightly BBC4 repeats.

Speaking of Netflix, enjoyed a slower binge of The Punisher over 4 days. I think when you get an excellent Netflix series 13 episodes leaves you wanting more (but for less than excellent, more than 10 eps are too long). Punisher just about stayed the right side of holding your attention until the end, the aftermath for one supporting character was dragged out over two episodes while the final confrontation felt more allied to the comic origins - but with the natural hook for season 2.

Only the episode which went all
Spoiler: show
Lost meets Pulp Fiction showing you the same thing from multiple angles, plus other wartime flashbacks and dreams
felt like it was dragging and meant it was time to take a break every 3-4 episodes on average. No superpowers and vulnerability kept me watching even if Castle's introduction from Daredevil allowed John Bernthal to steal the series; here, he carries his own show as well through the season but the writers take the time to construct his New York world as well as that of Daredevil (I'll have to catch up Cage, Jones and Iron Fist to see if they manage the same).
Last edited by Nethlyn on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Nethlyn wrote:(I'll have to catch up Cage, Jones and Iron Fist to see if they manage the same).

Jessica Jones was very good. Luke Cage had it's moments but was a bit hit and miss. Iron Fist is utter shite from the get-go, and best avoided.

Just finished Godless today, which was a real stand-out, superb in every regard.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Currently also working my way through The Punisher and have reached ep 9 so right after
Spoiler: show
Madani and Russo had the warehouse face off without her even know it was Pretty boy him who killed her partner
and things are escalating very nicely. I really enjoy David (Micro) as Frank's right hand man as he's far removed from how he has been portrayed in the past and is much more relatable with it. The stark contrast between the two plays off well but there's also common ground there underneath. As much as I adored Jon Bernthal as Shane in TWD it has to be said this role was 100% made for him through and through.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:51 pm

on episode 4 of that show and its painfully slow to get going. wavering on bothering with it further

Previous

Return to TV & Film