Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Jez

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Jez » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Last episode of the season tonight. So far I really like it. Hasn't head fuxxed me yet unless the last episode is where it gets really screwy

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:38 am

Yep you were right AM. Head completely screwed up by that ending but only for one reason. Season 2 is a thing. If I didn't know that certain key characters were coming back then I think I could accept the end easier.

But then nothing is quite what it seems in Westworld. Whos who, and whos what, and who knows who what is. This was a very clever tale that had a lot going on in it that didn't make sense. In particular the time issue, what's present past or even future, to me they all seemed to exist at the same time and depended upon each other for the whole thing to work. Much of this explanation I think depends on what the "real world" is, if we ever get to see it. I found it quite easy to imagine this park was set in some near future of the real world but it could actually be very far future and time might mean very little.

I thought this was a great piece of TV, the acting by the major characters is fantastic. I loved Hopkins in it, he sorta tapped into that Lector vibe where you're not quite sure if you are on his side or not. A lot of the characters are like that.

The minor real world characters were a little weak almost throughout, the brit writer guy, the "butchers" the board woman. I questioned their motives and actions a lot throughout. Thankfully the western minor characters were all great though.

Apparently the second season might not be out until 2018 I've read today.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 am

Really enjoyed it as well but it did stray into Lost territory at times. As in I'm not sure the writers knew themselves what the fuck was going on.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 am

The Man in the High Castle season 2 is about. Watched the first 3 episodes and its very good, a bit of a slow burn but still very enjoyable. I like how some of the utter bastards are shown in sympathetic light and the "good guys" are ruthless fucks. Worth a watch gents.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah I liked this overall. Finished season 2 a few weeks ago and thought it rounded the season out pretty well.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 am

Animalmother wrote:The Man in the High Castle season 2 is about. Watched the first 3 episodes and its very good, a bit of a slow burn but still very enjoyable. I like how some of the utter bastards are shown in sympathetic light and the "good guys" are ruthless fucks. Worth a watch gents.

Very much agreed on that one.

Think I'm up to episode 8 and it's all kicking off.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Watched the first episode of Veep.

I'll be honest, I love The Thick of It, generally like everything Armando Ianucci has done, but I didn't really like this. Where I laugh pretty much all the way through TTOI, this didn't even raise a smile. I was kind of waiting for it to end about three minutes in, which isn't a good thing. Can't quite put my finger on it, but would sum it up as lacking the cleverness of insults of TTOI (seems to think saying fuck a lot is a suitable substitute for wit), a bit too glossy like a lot of US TV and doesn't have anyone resembling Peter Capaldi, which is badly needs.

Was sent two discs by Lovefilm, toying with sending them both straight back. Does anyone watch it? Does it get better if you push through the first few awkward episodes?
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Haven't seen thick of it. It's a parody on the conny/lib dem thing right?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:41 pm

The Thick of It is absolutely fantastic. Early seasons are based on a Labour government with Capaldi playing a parody of Alastair Campbell, then later they're opposition and a new cast of Tory/Lib Dem ministers are added in.

Chris Langham and Roger Allam are particularly brilliant in it alongside Capaldi.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 pm

I do like Veep, but yeah it's a strange show to watch after seeing all of the Thick of It.

It's about as good an American version of Thick of It you'll ever get. Nuance isn't really their thing, but I still think it's worth spending some time with. Plus Julia Dreyfuss is smart, funny, hot and the best thing in it by a mile.

I enjoyed it, but I haven't seen the most recent couple of seasons.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Might give it a few more episodes then.

Though we switched to TTOI again after the first one and just saw the Quiet Batpeople episode again :lol:
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Mantis wrote:The Thick of It is absolutely fantastic. Early seasons are based on a Labour government with Capaldi playing a parody of Alastair Campbell, then later they're opposition and a new cast of Tory/Lib Dem ministers are added in.

Chris Langham and Roger Allam are particularly brilliant in it alongside Capaldi.

Right I'm sure I've seen that on prime or netflix I'll watch that this weekend. Capaldi as that egregious ejjit Campbell sounds like fun.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 am

Sly try not to watch it thinking of it as the US version of the Thick Of It and I think you will enjoy it more. The two shows have similarities, but Veep is going for an altogether different tone. The Thick Of It is very hard edged and full of people who don't really like politics, whilst Veep has softer edges and is generally about inept people trying to do their jobs. Veep reminds me more of 2012 than The Thick Of It.

In a similar vein Dreamland, an Australian show similar to 2012, is worth checking out. It's also on Netflix.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:17 am

So A Series Of Unfortunate Events is pretty much made for me and miss. Dark, quirky, NPH etc... but it just missing something. It's so mediocre. We've been trying to put the finger on what it is and the best we can come up with is that it's very theatrical and isn't adapted to the TV medium enough. Shane. It should be awesome!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Sly try not to watch it thinking of it as the US version of the Thick Of It and I think you will enjoy it more. The two shows have similarities, but Veep is going for an altogether different tone. The Thick Of It is very hard edged and full of people who don't really like politics, whilst Veep has softer edges and is generally about inept people trying to do their jobs. Veep reminds me more of 2012 than The Thick Of It.

In a similar vein Dreamland, an Australian show similar to 2012, is worth checking out. It's also on Netflix.

I wouldn't say I went in with that mindset. While I knew it was Iannucci when I added it to our rental list some months ago, it was only about halfway through watching it last night that I remembered, and even then it was only by looking it up as we watched that I found out it's meant to be the US equivalent of TTOI.

Pilot episodes can be dodgy sometimes, though, so we'll watch a couple more tonight and see if we get into it more.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film