Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tichinde

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Tichinde » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Fargo seasons 1 - 3 done.
Loved season 1, enjoyed season 2, found season 3 a bit wanting.
Then watched the film, which while good doesn't feel like it's aged well, maybe I should have watched the film before the series..... :)

Also, Altered Carbon, because bandwagons are made to be jumped on.
Loved it. Loved the setting, Loved the sci-fi theory. Well written, well put together, well acted.
Really enjoyed.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:21 pm

If you want to continue on down the Fargo path you should give Kumiko the Treasure Hunter a try.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:40 pm

I watched Altered Carbon recently too and was very pleasantly surprised by how consistently good it was. Some nice concepts which it dealt with in a reasonably intelligent manner, well acted, great CGI, good overall vibe. It sort of came out of nowhere and I watched the first episode out of curiosity; didn't take long to power through the whole season.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Watched it and on reflection I thought the same of it as the book. S'alright.

I probably wouldn't watch again in a hurry.

Some of it was very good but the rest just didn't poke it's head above the bar very often.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 pm

I haven't got round to watching it yet.

I've read the first book, but not the follow-ups. I have to say I didn't get the depth from it that some people seem to get. Just seemed a throwaway bit of pulpy cyberpunk to me. Quite a fun read though I guess, but I can't remember much of it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm

I wouldn't say the show ever really delves that deep into any of its ideas. They're just presented nicely; not so much the whole "what happens to your soul when you copy your brain to a new body/how to reconcile with religion" idea, but I enjoyed the way it raises questions of how depraved humanity would become in its thrill seeking if people were rich enough to literally live for ever.

It doesn't offer much original thought to the bleak near future dystopia setting, but then the bar is set very low when it comes to sci-fi TV shows, many of them are often pretty poor.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 am

I just can't bring myself to watch it after suffering through the utter mind-numbing drivel that was Crysis 2.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:51 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... st-cynical

From reading this why do I the idea that Netflix is kind of competing against itself.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm

700 is too much. 70 new original shows would be too much. Not just because they're competing against each other, like you say, and not just because most of them will probably be crap. The problem for us, the viewers, is that good TV spreads by word of mouth, and if everyone has 700 shows to choose from then the odds of anyone being able to have a discussion about any one show are slim. Someone simply saying a show is good isn't enough anymore - if someone recommends something to me and I dismissively go "oh, I might give that a go", that 100% means I will never watch it. The only thing that gathers momentum for TV is if the people around you are discussing it to the point where you feel like you're missing out, and that is where Netflix's original programming flaw lies. There will be a handful of exceptional shows in that 700 that will most likely get lost and cancelled because nobody talked about them.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah I'd rather they made and spent on making 7 outstanding titles with bells and whistles than this. Is really silly number

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:55 am

The difference with Netflix though is they target their shows to the user, so yes there will be 700 shows, but it's not like on network TV where they just throw it out there and hope that you see the advertising around it. You will see the shows come up that most match the stuff you have been watching. Netflix is also a lot more targeted than network TV so those 700 shows are not supposed to appeal to as many people as possible. A lot of them will be aimed at specific niches. If they just concentrated on say the 7 shows you mentioned Jez, that would in no way be enough for them to keep their subscribers going. Very few people are going to keep paying £10 a month for 7 great shows. You are more likely to just sub for a month, watch the show and then cancel. Netflix want you to keep subscribing and in order to do that they need to have a wide selection of shows to keep people subscribing.

As for missing out on something, the popular shows will still rise to the surface as people will still talk about the great shows.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:05 am

They could do with managing their 20billion debt. How in the hell do you get a credit line for 20billion?!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:The difference with Netflix though is they target their shows to the user, so yes there will be 700 shows, but it's not like on network TV where they just throw it out there and hope that you see the advertising around it. You will see the shows come up that most match the stuff you have been watching. Netflix is also a lot more targeted than network TV so those 700 shows are not supposed to appeal to as many people as possible. A lot of them will be aimed at specific niches. If they just concentrated on say the 7 shows you mentioned Jez, that would in no way be enough for them to keep their subscribers going. Very few people are going to keep paying £10 a month for 7 great shows. You are more likely to just sub for a month, watch the show and then cancel. Netflix want you to keep subscribing and in order to do that they need to have a wide selection of shows to keep people subscribing.

As for missing out on something, the popular shows will still rise to the surface as people will still talk about the great shows.

Netflix's targeting and variable ratings are beyond crap. I've seen films/shows which Netflix thinks I will hate that I actually really enjoyed, and similarly it keeps trying to foist stuff on me that is godawful. I struggle to think of a single Netflix recommendation which has panned out well.

And people only talk about shows that other people watch. 700 new shows a year dilutes this to the point where nobody can talk about anything because no two people in the same room have seen the same things. The point I was making before wasn't that there will be no great shows - it's that there will inevitably be great shows that get lost amongst the detritus because nobody talks about them.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43242057

Netflix coming to Sky. If the Sky package includes it automatically I presume the bill will go up £8 per month. Not sure if people will like that. I mean if you really want Netflix - just subscribe. Almost every media device now streams it. Not sure to whom this will appeal to or is this just another way to access Netflix if you are a subscriber ?. I am confused by this statement.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Sky already has an excellent on-demand service. This seems like a strange move.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film