Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 am

Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:We've only watched the first episode so far, but it's interesting and has drawn us in. Manhunt: Unabomber is a dramatisation of how the FBI caught the domestic terrorist sending letterbombs through the mail for 17-odd years. If you liked Mindhunters, you'd like this as well.

Watched a bunch more of these now, and it's cracking. Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany in the leads are great.

They basically invented a whole new branch of forensics, studying linguistics, to catch the guy, and fascinating to see it all played out.

Yes it is a great little show, really enjoyed it.

Last night we watched the episode which I'm guessing is towards the end of the series, from the bomber's point of view and his childhood, and it was fantastic. You *almost* feel some sympathy for him after what he went through, but obviously at the end of the day while it helps explain his actions, it can't excuse them.

Really enjoying it.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Evil Genius is excellent. I thought I knew the story but there was so much more to it I had missed. It’s fascinating
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 pm

It can drag its heels a little here and there but overall it is a great watch as you say.

Spoiler: show
I do wish it hadn't shown him blowing up but it no doubt it felt the need to due to the brutality of Brian Wells' very public death. What do you think, in or out?

I hear a sequel is in the works too.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:29 pm

At least they didn’t show what they had to do to get it off!

I think showing it was kind of important though, I feel it keeps it grounded and serious in what is otherwise such an outlandish story.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Started watching Borgia and remembered why I stopped last time - it was Rodrigo Borgia having a broad American accent :lol:

So - started again and turning a deaf ear, let’s see how I get on :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Haha! Yes, just ignore his accent. I hope you enjoy it, Snowy.

Remember, Cesare Borgia starts out unsure of himself and his beliefs, but once he gains more autonomy and resigns his position as Cardinal, he really comes into his own and becomes a truly fascinating character.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:29 am

Did about 5 episodes last night - my wife is away this weekend so have full control of the TV (a rarity!)

I enjoyed it, and have got past Rodrigo's accent now. Overall I am enjoying the show too, very different to The Borgias while also being pretty graphic. One area that is irking me slightly is the clunky exposition, particularly the political interplay - you will have Rodrigo/Alexander say "You will go here and do that, which will cause this response from X" and hey presto, in the next scene that is exactly what has happened - it lacks the Macchiavellian dexterity that The Borgias script had, but equally allows the plot to advance more quickly.

Not sold on squinty Cesare yet, in all honesty he comes across as mad as a balloon, self-flagellating, frothing about God and sacrificing his kid one moment, boozing, whoring and murdering the next. Interested to see how he progresses.

It is weird watching a show about historical characters when having already been invested in a different show about those same characters.

To be continued...

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:18 am

Snowy wrote:Not sold on squinty Cesare yet, in all honesty he comes across as mad as a balloon, self-flagellating, frothing about God and sacrificing his kid one moment, boozing, whoring and murdering the next. Interested to see how he progresses.

Yes he is as mad as a balloon to start with, but there comes a point when he grows into himself and becomes pretty much unstoppable.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 am

So have managed to hammer through Season 1 in a few days (mainly due to my wife having been away, now she is back I will have to work around her ruthless domination of the TV :)).

I am enjoying it, but at present the Jeremy Irons Borgias series is edging it. I liked the characterisation of the Borgia family overall better in the Irons version, plus he as pontiff was a far wilier and subtle individual than John Doman. Doman's Pope Alexander is too much of a blunt object for me.

Cesare is still challenging as a character too. In the original Borgias, I understood the actions taken by Cesare and they made sense, but Cesare from the new series is still bark-at-the-moon loopy, flying from mania to melancholy too often for it to remain dramatic. Also, and I know this is not really a factor, but his face is slightly too narrow for his head :lol:

Still, it is another playthrough of a fascinating period in history, and I am still enjoying it mightily, so shall continue - thanks for setting my feet back on the path.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:02 am

Glad you're enjoying it, Snowy.

Cesare becomes more of a powerful force in Seasons 2 & 3. He is pretty loopy (that's kinda why I like him), but I think he focuses his energy better as time goes by.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 am

The Handmaids Tale

Watched the first episode and it's very good I must say. Sinister as fuck and compelling at the same time.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:40 am

Heard the books are well worth it also.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 pm

The Staircase - one of the most compelling pieces of television I have watched. Stunning, heartbreaking, staggering - just watch it!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Snowy wrote:The Staircase - one of the most compelling pieces of television I have watched. Stunning, heartbreaking, staggering - just watch it!

Ha, yeah, we're working through it at the moment. Just watched episode 5. Not sure how many there is in total, but guess we're about halfway through?

It's weird, but even though everything he's said and done seems very pleasant, something about him is setting off my 'he did it!' alarm :lol:

His lawyer is very good.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 pm

We started it a few nights ago. Knowing the story I can’t imagine stretching it over so many episodes when the pizza bomber was only 4 eps but we’ll see!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film