Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Jez

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:29 am

Black sails.

It's a bit good this, took a few episodes to get going but liking it a lot now I'm mid way through season 1.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 am

I'm a little more into Veep having pushed through the first couple of episodes. On about episode 7 now (series 1 still). I wouldn't call it a laugh-riot, but it passes the time well enough.
My face is tired.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:10 pm

The Man in the high Castle Season 2 is in the bag, really enjoyed it quite frankly.
Slower to pull me in than Season 1, but far better towards the end.

Moving on to Sneaky Pete which at 4 episodes in is pretty damn good TV....

Patiently waiting for season 2 of the Expanse as well because season 1 was fantastic.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Halt And Catch Fire - Season 3

Back to form. The last 2 episodes were fantastic. Between ep 8 and 9 the story skips 4 years and enters 1990 and the dawn of the world wide web. Sublime writing. I loved it. This series really portrays the movement of time really well. Thoroughly researched and well documented.

8/10

Forgot to add a review for Season 2 - does not quite reach the giddy heights of Season 1 and not as good as season 3 but fun to see the concepts of online gaming and the ideas of gaming that we take for granted today.

7/10

Final and last season expected and I cannot wait what Jo, Cameron and Gordon will make out of the internet. This time they will go head to head with Donna.

Thanks to elgaucho for getting me and the misses hooked on this,
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Tichinde wrote:The Man in the high Castle Season 2 is in the bag, really enjoyed it quite frankly.

Patiently waiting for season 2 of the Expanse as well because season 1 was fantastic.

Just finished it last night, it was well good alright. Shame we have to wait for another year to see more.

Watched a small bit of The Expanse S2 first episode. Seems pretty much the same, some dodgy acting and naff dialogue but pretty solid show over all.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I watched the first season of that. I'm still surprised this even got to TV personally. I read the first set of books and I wasn't massively impressed with them they were OK I guess. So yeah I was surprised that this got picked up for TV. Lots of far better books out there.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Tichinde wrote:The Man in the high Castle Season 2 is in the bag, really enjoyed it quite frankly.

Man in the high castle was cracking, cant wait for series 3. Enjoyed S1 of the expanse as well.

Just finished S1 of Sense 8. That was interesting. Looking forward to the next series.

First series of 'a series of unfortunate events' was more than a little wacky and odd. Quite compelling though. A bit like marmite I think.

Ascension and Preacher are probably next on my list. Plus I still have season 1 of Mr Robot to finish.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Preacher is good, but very very slow to take off. It also has practically feck all to do with the comic, as in what happens in 12 episodes of the show is done in a few panels on the comic (I've just started reading it..).

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Apple Tree Yard

Really enjoyed this. The drama has several turns and is really compelling by the last (4th) episode. It feels bookish but in a good way. Great character development and it is good to see Ben Chaplin back on form.

8/10
Spoiler: show
the last scene was a great twist and in keeping with the story
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am

Animalmother wrote:Preacher is good, but very very slow to take off. It also has practically feck all to do with the comic, as in what happens in 12 episodes of the show is done in a few panels on the comic (I've just started reading it..).

As a counter point, Preacher is wank.
Slow to go, and never actually goes anywhere interesting when it does build up enough steam to seem to be getting interesting.

The wife has set me watching Santa Clarita Diet (I think).
Oliphant and Drew Barrymore in a slightly dark comedy. Might have legs, might not, I'm only 3 episodes in and it's amusing enough.
Oliphant is fantastic in it though.
:)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Tichinde wrote:
Oliphant and Drew Barrymore in a slightly dark comedy. Might have legs, might not, I'm only 3 episodes in and it's amusing enough.

Yeah Oliphant is fantastic in this. I thought the first half of the series was really funny with some great moments, but the second half wasn't quite as good. The ending is also rather weird, the show just sort of stops.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Tichinde wrote:Moving on to Sneaky Pete which at 4 episodes in is pretty damn good TV....

Just wrapped it up.
Best TV I've watched in ages.

Heeeeeeeey

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Finally watched all of Black Mirror on Netflix, some cracking good ones in there. Unnerving to watch as many of the themes aren't that unlikely.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:02 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tichinde wrote:

Yeah Oliphant is fantastic in this. I thought the first half of the series was really funny with some great moments, but the second half wasn't quite as good. The ending is also rather weird, the show just sort of stops.

Agree! Watched it last weekend with the GF and we both felt that whilst it was good, absolutely nothing got resolved.

THE BIT WITH THE TOE THO.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 pm

I got about halfway through the 3re episode of S2 of The Expanse and thought, nah fuck it. It's pretty naff.

The Walking Dead is back again and is off to a slow crawl. Apart from one brilliant zombie crowd control bit it's the usual arse numbing pace.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film