Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Animalmother » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Its cracking isn't it :D

Season 2 episode 2 of Ash vs Evil Dead..... That was just fucking weird even for this show :?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 am

Started watching Taking Fire last night. Only 3 eps released so far.

The show surrounds a groups one year deployment of Afghanistan ft the 101st Airborne Division and was recorded entirely using personal hand held and helmet cameras which means it puts you right in the thick of the shit as and when it happens. Most of the guys represented are in their early twenties and can go from calmly walking down a mountain path joking together and handing out fireball candies to suddenly being under fire and fighting for their very lives. It also explores the effects being away from family and loved ones has.

Gripping eye opening stuff for sure.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:27 am

Is it no holds barred? As in showing injury etc?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:18 pm

It does show stuff Jez mate although it does tend to blur it out during the aftermath.

One instance that has stayed with me was when two young lads (age 19 and 20 I believe) fell victim to an IAD whilst driving along a hillside road. Two out of three of the vehicle occupants were killed instantly and the third was thrown from the vehicle and his spine bent the wrong way in the process, he survived somehow. What got me the most was that the officer in charge who was present was on the radio demanding an instant helicopter extraction for the severely injured survivor but the command centre were ordering him to put him in a vehicle and drive him all the way back to base, obviously this was impossible given the mountain terrain and spinal injury so the officer in charge lost it big time with command. They eventually succumbed to his wishes and sent in a chopper to land just 50ft away in a nearby field.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Americans do that.

I could tell you some stories. I'll save em for a meet or something.

As for helo extractions it's often the case that they won't send something as utterly vulnerable as a helo into a potentially hot area. The tali's cottoned on very quick that when they trapped a unit using IED strike that we would halt up and try to fight to clear the area. They'd hang back or not show themselves at all and wait for the extraction helo and try to down it with rocket fire. They did this because they knew if they denuded the medical ability then patrols wouldn't be sent out. Much the same reasoning why they tried to target the hospital facility with mortars all....the...bloody...time especially in Iraq.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Started watching The Strain last night and am finding it quite enjoyable at the half way point. There's no denying however the direct influence del Toro and more specifically Blade 2 has had on the show. Always great to see Kevin Durand on screen although his fake Russian accent is terrible. 30 days of night comes to mind also.

After how deadly serious TWD has become there's a much lighter tone mixed in with the horror and at times painfully realistic gore. All in all I'm considering hung watching Seasons 1 and 2. Nice job so far F X. Oh look a worm...

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:17 pm

I enjoy The Strain, silly as it is. It does peak and trough something chronic though, being great one episode and utter shite for the next few.

Prey wrote: Always great to see Kevin Durand on screen although his fake Russian accent is terrible.

Thats a dodgey fake Ukrainian accent, big difference.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:22 pm

On season 2 now and so far it's taken some brilliant twists and turns. Utterly loving Quinlan and his back story.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Penny Dreadful has been cancelled after just 3 Seasons? Damn.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:50 pm

That was back in June mate, on the last episode in the season it just showed 'The End'.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Rick and Morty

I initially dismissed this as a kids cartoon when I saw it on Netflix, but it really isn't. The adventures of a narcissistic scientist and his dumbass grandson into different random dimensions and planets in the galaxy, with gratuitous violence, alien orgies and other fucked up shit . It won't be for everyone but I found it a hoot.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Yeah, I recently watched all of Rick & Morty via toonget.net, and really enjoyed it. A lot of the time it is as sick as fuck, but also pretty funny.

Also recommend Gravity Falls, which I was put onto by a Nostalgia Critic video, very good cartoon series also.
My face is tired.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:25 am

Loving Westworld, it's all twisty and turny and stuff.

Spoiler: show
Maeve is getting sinister as fuck. Makes you wonder who else is a robot after that reveal

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:51 pm

So it looks like Netflix are making a TV Version of the film Shooter, one of my favourite guilty pleasure flicks...

Why?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Quietman wrote:So it looks like Netflix are making a TV Version of the film Shooter, one of my favourite guilty pleasure flicks...

Why?

Huh, that's a weird one.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film