Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Jez

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 pm

That's the one aye.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:19 am

Well that's stranger things season 2 done. Short, 9 episodes. 9 was about right with the fairly limited story it was plotted out for. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the first season that's for sure. Like we been saying, felt a little rushed in the writing dept, not terrible mind just a little limited in its depth. Its tried to widen things clearly in preparation for a third season, some of the side arcs which felt unnecessary will likely have more relevance in a new season. Whether or not they feel any better for that is any mans guess.

I could go on about a lot of things but ill leave it there I think.

Its solid 7.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:53 pm

So we decided to ditch our monthly NOW TV contract in favour of Netflix meaning I now too can watch many of the shows I've been missing out on for far far too long starting with yep Stranger Things and after reaching Ep 4 all in one sitting I can firmly say I'm a fan already. The cool genre mixing and cultural throwbacks it has going on are very well done and I have already developed a soft spot for both Dustin and El. Hopper too.

I have to be very careful of what I read in here while I attempt to catch up but so far it's one of those shows that I will just allow Netflix to load up the next ep again and again and we only took a break due to it being a birthday so we are all set to continue on again tonight.

I did start watching the first ep of Mindhunter but ran into a major snag very early on...

Spoiler: show
As soon as the 'invisible' guy visibly blew his own head off I lost all interest. Sorry guys but I hate such explicit gore and was eating birthday cake at the time.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Try it again, Prey. There is basically no gore after that one bit.

On the subject of Netflix, spent the last few nights bingeing on The Good Place. Very good show, a lot of funny moments and a couple of twists I genuinely didn't see coming. It's only about halfway through the second season, but the next batch get uploaded in January, which is a bit annoying to wait for. Recommended.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 pm

I also watched the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery and I have to say I rather enjoyed that too. Netflix clearly threw a fairly hefty budget at it and I instantly spotted good old Doug Jones among the cast as the instantly likeable Saru with his always interesting to observe physicality that he brings to his acting gigs. I also like how the show has gone against much of the normally quite boring design aesthetics that Star Trek always has and gone for something much more visually appealing for once to bring it into a modern science fiction show. I can see many traditionalists hating that particular decision but I thought everything looked really good with early scenes almost having a modern Star Wars type air about it. About time too.

Going from NOW TV which was so very limited and split contracts for movies and tv shows into two completely separate bills per month and then having something that combines the two for only a few pounds more has already cemented our move as a good one. We can't decide what to watch next already.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 pm

I watched three more episodes of Discovery and have to say it has grown on me. I'm probably going to finish off this season now, though the main effect of watching it has been to give me a hankering to revisit all the 90s shows. Thankfully they're all on Netflix too!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Star Trek: Questionable Decisions might have been a better title. Something unknown, blocking sensors and almost certainly hostile? Why not send one person in a space suit, that’s a logical thing to do!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:59 pm

I didn't realise it was back but season 3 of Mr Robot is on. I'll give it a watch over the weekend I think.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 am

Sly Boots wrote:Try it again, Prey. There is basically no gore after that one bit.

I second that, it is too good a show to miss based on that.

It is about serial killers so there is some fairly distasteful content but it is virtually all verbal, not visual.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am

So that's a wrap on Stranger Things season 1 and I have to say I grew more and more underwhelmed with it as it went on. It became not only terribly predictable my family and I practically set out most upcoming events as they occurred nigh on perfectly but it just lost all sense of itself the further it went. What started out as something very rich and so well realised slowly and sadly descended into an elongated lengthy one off and not that great episode of a show I used to watch religiously which was known as Eerie, Indiana.

94% on RT? Not even close, bud.

I'm somewhat hesitant to jump into Season 2 now.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 am

If you dislikes season 1 you may well struggle further with 2

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 am

So watched the first episode of season 4 of the superb Peaky Blinders this week and it did not disappoint. Early days but it is looking like it is shaping up to be a real return to form after season 3, which while still excellent I felt fell a bit short of the standard set by seasons 1 and 2. It finished on a monumental cliffhanger too, which made me remember why I hate weekly episodes so much :)

Also looking forward to firing up Netflix over the weekend to watch the new Marvel series of The Punisher which is out today. I really liked the introduction of Punisher into season two of Daredevil, it was the stand-out highlight. I just hope they get it right and don't let it descend into pseudo-mystical ninja bollocks as the last couple of Marvel series have been.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am

funnily enough just watched the first episode of season 2 Peaky myself. :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Season 2 of Stranger Things is progressing much better...

Spoiler: show
Hopper has just been saved from his worm fate and Samwise Gamgee has been working out that Will's drawings are a map of the local area. Evil Zac Efron and his ginger side kick are a tad annoying though.

We have also been watching Luke Cage and I must say even though it can be frustratingly slow at times it has just enough going for it to make us watch further. It's not on par with Daredevil but it was either this or Iron Fist.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Spare yourself Dave, don't touch Iron Fist with a shit-smeared 50 foot pole. Godawful wank, utter fucking ballhang.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film