Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Raid » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:06 pm

This week's ST Discovery is thoroughly entertaining.

The characters are becoming more likeable, and clearly they haven't forgotten that the franchise is supposed to be about more than just grim conflict. It's definitely improving.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Jez wrote:Think season 1 was an unexpected huge success and season 2 might have been rushed out a little from the sounds of it.

Will respectfully disagree a bit with Mantis. We've still got one episode to go, which may colour my feelings on the series as a whole, I guess, but thus far I've been enjoying it immensely. I'd have to rewatch the first season again at some point to decide which I prefer, but I think it would be a close call.
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:24 pm

overall I enjoyed ST2. It starts a little slower and builds nicely. Wonder where they go from here though.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Jez wrote:Think season 1 was an unexpected huge success and season 2 might have been rushed out a little from the sounds of it.

Will respectfully disagree a bit with Mantis. We've still got one episode to go, which may colour my feelings on the series as a whole, I guess, but thus far I've been enjoying it immensely. I'd have to rewatch the first season again at some point to decide which I prefer, but I think it would be a close call.

I'm watching the 4th episode tonight it's taking it's time to get going I feel. It's good though lots of light hearted moments interspersed with the darker stuff as per the first season. Like it though so far.

11 is a bit of a bunny boiler :lol:

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Definitely preferred the first season. There's nothing I can really put my finger on why I dislike this season over the first but it just doesn't seem to get going. Halfway or more through and they are still laying down plot loops that don't seem to going anywhere. I'm sure it'll ramp up towards the end but these threads will need to be closed off in further series I feel.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm

I think it's simply the fact that they didn't have as long to write it. It also really doesn't feel that unnerving or scary at any point, whereas the first season was genuinely quite tense at times because of the sense of unknown the monster had. This was just the smoke monster from Lost.

Also, too many character arcs to try and tie up loose ends that ultimately detracted from the main plot. Nancy and Jonathan could quite easily have been cut from quite a lot of episodes considering how much they actually did, likewise for the new girl character who was only ever really there to show that Mike was reluctant to move on from Eleven and also give the other kids a possible romance interest. In fact, the show would probably have had better flow if they'd just not bothered writing her and her nasty brother into it at all.

I rewatched Season One in October just before the new one came out and it really is night and day to me how the second doesn't meet the same standard.

That said, it's not like it was awful or anything. Generally most of the parts that focused on developing the original cast further were great, Sean Astin was brilliant (if not predictable in how they treated him), the soundtrack was great as ever and the effects were all very well done. It's just a hard act to follow when the first season was so perfect. Like I said, 7/10.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm

I'd agree it's a 7 compared to last season's 9.

Granted I haven't seen it all but it does feel rushed and "filled" in places.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 pm

I still really enjoyed it, and it was good to see some of the other characters filled out a little bit more than they were in the first season.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm still struggling to get on with Stranger Things. I'm two episodes into season 2 and I don't know if I can be bothered watching more other than to understand what people are talking about when they inevitably discuss it. It's weird because I recognise it as being competently made, well-scripted, well-acted with a strong story... I just don't enjoy it at all. :?

I think I may be broken.

On the other hand, the last two episodes of Star Trek have really brought it to life and convinced me it's going somewhere good. It's like the show has finally found its feet and started sprinting. Except for the klingons - the klingon scenes remain godawful.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm

I couldn't get on with Star Trek after two episodes, it was just too hammy and poorly written to really grip me.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

It's worth sticking with, gets better as it goes.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

It does get better aye. The story is still bat shit crazy but it's pretty good overall.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Yeah, the most recent episodes of Discovery have been pretty good. I still don't much like Burnham; her character is improving, but the actress' delivery is overly stilted and dramatic. Still, that didn't really hurt Sisko, so we'll see.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Good yeah. Sisko was stiff as fuck for the first season or 2 but I came to really like his acting after that. There were some brilliant episodes with him. My favourite ST episode across all series was a DS9 sisko episode where he decides to hatch a plot with garak to bring the romulan empire into the dominion war. Really great stuff.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 pm

"In the Pale Moonlight", regarded by a lot of people as the best of modern Trek.

I was actually talking about later on in DS9, when Avery Brooks wasn't able to deliver a speech without a sharp intake of breath every third word.Don't get me wrong, I loved his performance, he could have defeated the Dominion by chewing off pieces of bridge set and spitting it at them.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film