Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:48 am

Sly Boots wrote:Oops, accidentally posted this in the films thread initially.

This past week we've been watching Mindhunters on Netflix.

Gripping telly. First episode takes a while to get going, but quickly it becomes compelling. It's a dramatisation of the work done by two FBI agents in the early 70s to define what serial killers are, which they do by touring the country interviewing real-life examples. In particular, the actors playing the killers do a fantastic job.

The names have been changed, but a lot of what takes place is true to life. One of the agents was the inspiration for Jack Crawford, the agent from Silence of the Lambs who acts as a mentor to Clarice Starling. The other agent was the one who first coined the phrase serial killer.

Give it a watch, and bear with it through the slow opening half hour or so.

Just to give my own thumbs up to Mindhunter too - it really is superb. I disagree with Sly though, I didn't find it a slow start, the wife and I were pretty much absorbed from the get-go.

Also, just finished Ozark - very good and worth your time.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Yeah, I've got Ozark on our to-watch list on Netflix, just started on American Vandal though.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Animalmother wrote:
gpa-gone-west wrote:
Tichinde wrote:American Vandal.

Yet another Netflix job which is a satire on the documentary type thing (like Making a Murderer) about finding out who drew 27 dicks, on 27 cars.
It is fantastic, I have not laughed so hard for ages.

Finished this yesterday, I can definitely recommend it. Well funny.

Just finished this, genuinely funny and very well made. I lost it while Dylan is explaining what "Baby Farting" was to the school board, the outtakes of this series must be hilarious.

Highly recommended :lol:

On the second episode at the moment, enjoying it. I think my highlight so far has been them analysing the handjob moment as if it was the JFK shooting, and the graphics were highly amusing :lol:

I think the show works best if you're familiar with in particular Making a Murderer or The Jinx (highly recommended if you've not seen it, incidentally), which fortunately I have.

Edit: We ended up binging this tonight, three episodes left of the series. It's so well done, even though it's a spoof and you know that, and there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, you actually want to get to the bottom of the mystery as well. It's genius.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Netflix, if you like animated shows and have run out of Bojack Horseman and F is for Family, you could do worse than check out Big Mouth. I wasn't convinced reading the summary (high school kids hitting puberty and going through the sorts of issues I'm sure we're all familiar with), but it's pretty funny and the Hormone Monster is great. Just not for the easily offended.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 am

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am

Sly Boots wrote:Oh, and while we're on the subject of Netflix, if you like animated shows and have run out of Bojack Horseman and F is for Family, you could do worse than check out Big Mouth. I wasn't convinced reading the summary (high school kids hitting puberty and going through the sorts of issues I'm sure we're all familiar with), but it's pretty funny and the Hormone Monster is great. Just not for the easily offended.

Thanks for this Sly. Just started on Big Mouth on your recommendation and its good stuff. Wouldn't have gave it a second look otherwise. Cheers matey. Only 2 more episodes to go though.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am

Glad someone else is enjoying it! :)
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Prey wrote:

A couple of episodes into this. Liking it so far.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Anyone tried Stranger Things season 2 yet? Going to dive in to that later tonight.

Up to date on the new Star Trek also, I really like it. There was even F word swearing in it and some people who were gay.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Yeah, we watched the first three episodes of ST2 last night, it's good and picks up pretty soon after the last season, from what I can gather.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 pm

We watched the first episode of Stranger Things 2 last night; it's clearly diving straight in without wasting any time, and was excellent right from the start.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 am

Finished it last night.
Would need to rewatch Season 1 to decide which I prefer, but either way the whole thing is good.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:19 am

It's probably good that you are having trouble deciding between the two then :)

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Finished it last night and thought that overall it wasn't as strong as season one. Too many new characters and subplots that ultimately didn't lead anywhere and could easily have been cut to flesh out the main plot. Case in point, the skater girl who literally serves almost no purpose other than to give Lucas something to do for pretty much the whole season.

The good moments are still utterly fantastic and I loved it overall, but it definitely wasn't as consistently good as last year. Somewhat predictable and lazy writing too at times, you can literally call everything 10 minutes before it happens on a number of occasions.

Not really sure how they could drag a third season out of it. Better to just leave it before they make it ridiculous I think. If season one was a solid 10/10 then this year they'd probably be struggling somewhere between a 7 and 8.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Think season 1 was an unexpected huge success and season 2 might have been rushed out a little from the sounds of it.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film