Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
STuG

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby STuG » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Jez wrote:Is it a sort of docu-drama thing as in going around following real police?

It also gives voice to the residents, news channel journalists, and local politicians who are watching a large city continue to wither and decay before their eyes but the police department gets the lions share of screentime.

It tells the story of the fall of Flint as a city, once a place with the highest household incomes in the US ( due to the motor industry) to a city that is wracked with poverty and crime in recent years. It highlights the struggles of those who are trying to drag it back from the abyss it has been teetering on since the end of the 1980's. The series begins by informing you that as a city Flint once had 300 Police officers in the departments hey day, due to budget cuts that fell to 98 as the series begins in 2016.

98 officers for a city of 300,000.

Just let that sink in.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:50 am

Watching Santa Clarita Diet after the recommendations on here, and another belter, thanks chaps.

I say watching, I cooked up a leg of lamb yesterday and we ate early while watching episode 1. Gone midnight we head off to bed having watched 12 episodes on the bounce :shock:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:17 pm

:D
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Hooray, our numbers they do grow.

I got up to date on it all yesterday and loved how things wound up with Anne in that episode. Am I the only person wishing Rick had more to do in the show though? As always Eric continues to be my favourite character after Joel as practically everything he does/says is intentionally/unintentionally hilarious - even something as simple as just throwing a ball in the air. :lol:

Also, I'm fucking the queen of england!!!
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:44 am

The Terror

Watched the first 2 episodes and it's pretty good so far if a little on the slow side. Still on the character building phase but I suspect the dread to ramp up in episode 3 on.

If anyone isn't sure what it's about, based on true events about a 1800's polar expedition that goes horribly wrong. Scurvy and polar bear :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:48 pm

The book was very good. Have high hopes for the series.

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Did anyone catch the new season of Trailer Park Boys yet?

Fucking DECENT!

Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Just started it last night. I must admit I think its a bit of a guilty pleasure with me.

It's mostly shit but I still love to watch it.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Animalmother wrote:The Terror

Watched the first 2 episodes and it's pretty good so far if a little on the slow side. Still on the character building phase but I suspect the dread to ramp up in episode 3 on.

If anyone isn't sure what it's about, based on true events about a 1800's polar expedition that goes horribly wrong. Scurvy and polar bear :)

Bollox was hoping this would be on Netflix or prime...it's AMC. Won't be watching anytime soon. :roll:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:11 am

Also started watching Flint Town - very well made and showcases the lives of the cops well. Particularly interesting seeing the cop shootings, tension over the Black Lives Matter movement etc, viewed from cops eyes, especially black cops.

Good show, cheers for flagging it!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Jessica Jones season 2 done and dusted.
That was basically 10 hours of sweet fuck all.....
Meandering, boring, generic, dull.
Bar about 15 minutes of screen time for a certain character from season 1, which was fantastic.

It *might* be worse than Iron Fist (in terms of story, being worse than IF overall is pushing it).
Go watch season 1 again instead....

Back to Santa Clarita Diet for season 2, which we are thoroughly enjoying so far :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Ash season 3 continues to be just pure fun
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:30 pm

STuG wrote:Just binge watched 'Flint Town' or to be more precise couldn't stop watching it. A phenomenal body of work.

Staggering, shocking, bleak yet compelling. Beautifully shot essential viewing.

Watched it all in a couple of days. Quite compelling. Really opens your eyes to a side of things most dont see. How you make 98 officers keep control of a city of that size is beyond me.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:
STuG wrote:Just binge watched 'Flint Town' or to be more precise couldn't stop watching it. A phenomenal body of work.

Watched it all in a couple of days. Quite compelling. Really opens your eyes to a side of things most dont see. How you make 98 officers keep control of a city of that size is beyond me.

Agree mate, finger in the dike doesn't quite cover it. And the local council certainly doesn't deserve them.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:

Watched the first ep last night, another good recommendation by the PWF hive-mind :)
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film