Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
eVoL

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby eVoL » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Continuing the middle aged people watch lots of true crime stereotypes -_-

Mommy Dead and Dearest
If you don’t know anything about the Deedee/Gypsy Rose Blanchard murder case I think Sword And Scale podcast ep 49 tells the story better and it’s worth listening to that first and then watching this to humanise the whole thing.

On June 15th, 2015 an ominous message appeared on Facebook which sent friends and family into a panic. Their worst fears were realized when police entered the home of Claudinnea “Dee Dee” Blancharde and her disabled daughter Gypsy, and found the mother dead and the daughter missing. The killer seemed to be mocking concerned loved ones online, and immediately the most important concern was to make sure the poor sickly daughter was found and that she would be unharmed

It’s just such a sad story of selfishness utterly ruining lives. I don’t think justice was served. The later interviews just seem like a really genuine but mixed up person that’s never been given a chance. It’s fascinating but heartbreaking.

Joseph Fritzel Making A Monster
It’s not the best it’s very dry. Spoiler, he is one incredible scumbag and how nobody around had any idea is both dumbfounding and frustrating.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

A Shot in the Dark

Basically take the premise behind 2014's Nightcrawler just minus all the batshit crazy stuff and what you get is three guys racing against one another for instant news stories that take place in and around the city of LA trying to get the best shots of news worthy stories to earn that all important news footage we got it first cred and the money the studios will pay up for it to have it on the morning or late evening news. The sheer underlying competitiveness, shady behind the scene business tactics used to get ahead and ego lacing behind of it all is actually really interesting.

What really gets me with this series is the fact that almost every single news bite they come across could become something they can actively get involved with simply because they are there on scene first before anyone else making the news chasers become the actual news. The show got a lot of bad press last year basically calling it out for 'feeding on other peoples misery' but what the guys involved actually understand is that the general public feed on this stuff on a daily basis 24/7 and they are simply providing the means to do exactly that.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm

eVoL wrote:Joseph Fritzel Making A Monster
It’s not the best it’s very dry. Spoiler, he is one incredible scumbag and how nobody around had any idea is both dumbfounding and frustrating.

Just watched this. Very disappointing, didn't really say anything we didn't already know and yet left out a lot of details already in the public domain. I know it wasn't recommended as such, but thought the story would surely sell itself even if the production was lacking. I was wrong.
My face is tired.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 pm

Having watched (and enjoyed) the first three seasons of the whole Spartacus: Blood & Sand saga a year or two ago, I found myself starting, but never finishing, the fourth season.

Tonight, I decided to pick up where I left off (whenever it was) on Episode 4 of Season 4. Then I remembered why I never finished it.

IT IS AWFUL!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 pm

now you know why it took them 3 seasons to leave the ludus !!!!
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 am

Just bought a series on Amazon Prime Video called Jamestown, about the 17th century English colony in Virginia. One episode in and we're really enjoying it.

A similar show, which is a mini-series with only two (almost feature-film length) episodes, about the Plymouth Colony further up the New England coast, is called Saints & Strangers, which is available on Netflix. I highly recommend that too.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm

GLOW season 2

Just been released on Netflix. Easily a match for the excellent first season, with top notch acting and characters across the board.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Big Little Lies

Pretty good however we (the viewers) are way ahead of the TV makers as to the climax of the show. It's a bit of a slow burner but the acting is good and the stories do get better as the characters are fleshed out

8/10
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Wrathbone wrote:GLOW season 2

Just been released on Netflix. Easily a match for the excellent first season, with top notch acting and characters across the board.

Hadn't seen GLOW before. We watched the first couple last night on the back of this post, and enjoyed it. Thanks for the not-really-but-kinda rec! :)
My face is tired.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Britannia

Pretty surreal drama about the Roman invasion of Britain in 43 AD. Just watched the first episode tonight. It was odd, but sufficiently interesting to keep me wanting more.
Last edited by Mournblade on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Have you watched Rome Doug?

For myself, I have just started watching S1 of Preacher on Prime (yeah yeah, perennially late to the party I know). Weird as hell but kinda funny and intriguing, enjoying it so far. Never read the comic series so all new to me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Yes I watched Rome ten years ago, and a second time about six years ago. Really great series.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Mournblade wrote:Britannia

Pretty surreal drama about the Roman invasion of Britain in 43 AD. Just watched the first episode tonight. It was odd, but sufficiently interesting to keep me wanting more.

I am so enjoying this. I love the way the Romans are portrayed, and the psychedelic trippiness is really growing on me.

Previous

Return to TV & Film