Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Raid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Solo: Really enjoyed this. It adds precisely nothing to the franchise or the characters involved, but it's a fun action romp with a half decent cast (Donald Glover in particular is excellent as Lando), some lasers, some explosions, the Millenium Falcon looking cool, and that's about it. I went in with low expectations and was rewarded for it. I just hope the next film has a little more originality to it.
Spoiler: show
I did find it funny that the addition made to the Millenium Falcon was almost entirely unnecessary - we already knew it was an escape ship after the Lego version was unveiled several months back, and it makes zero impact on the film. They could just as easily have fired a flare into the maw. The Imperial blockade and the TIE Fighter sequence was there just to be put in the trailer. Both of these aspects of the film were there entirely for marketing and merchandising, which isn't surprising for Star Wars or Disney I suppose.

But the big reveal at the end, Maul, was definitely a surprise. For those that don't know, Maul has been fleshed out considerably in both The Clone Wars (which I haven't seen) and Rebels (which I have, and would recommend - it's clearly a kids show made as much for older fans), so seeing him reintroduced to the films was an interesting choice. I suspect he'll now feature in the much-rumoured Obi-Wan film.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Jurassic World: Forgotten whatever

Its. So. Stupid! How can these films not attract good writers? It’s closer to Dino Crisis than Jurassic Park. Remember the last one where they made a new super dino and it was rubbish? SPOILER they do it again, but now it’s a really super Dino.... even though it seems to pose less of a threat than any of the dinosaurs in the first movie. The original Jurassic Park was mostly a believable premise and story, nobody was super human and their escapes were narrow and lucky. This ones like “fuck that, Chris Pratt is Thor”.

Insult to injury Goldblum is in it for about 5mins total.

Gash/10.

Jurassic Fart.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Solo: A Star Wars Story

I thought this was a lot of fun! I loved all the jokes and references to Original Trilogy scenes and events, and both Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover do a great job as Han and Lando.

To quote Han, I left the cinema with "a really good feeling about this".
Last edited by Mournblade on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 am

Early Man

Another Ardman animation. I enjoyed it. Silly but fun. In fact it could have been sillier.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 am

Black Panther

Considering the buzz around the release, there are already millions of well thought out takes on the movie. I'm not going to add anything other than restating that, yes, that was a damn good film!

Solid super hero adventure with a really interesting concept, characters and execution. As much as I'm enjoying the more comedic and out there Marvel movies, it's refreshing to get one that feels like a proper comic book movie again. Only better made than the older films that felt rather half-assed.
Last edited by Subway Diet on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am

Watched Black Panther for the second time this week and while I enjoyed it a lot at the cinema, this time I loved it. It's really good! It probably didn't help that at the cinema I had to go to the gents during what turned out to be an important scene.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 am

We watched the "Everything Great About" Youtube video for Black Panther a few days ago, and I realised how many parts of it I really loved. The fact that T'Challa doesn't make wise cracks like just about every other Marvel hero escaped me first time around, and it's a refreshing change.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Hereditary
Dont fall for the hype, it's not "the next exorcist". It's fine, if you told me James Wan directed it I wouldn't question it for one second. It's not bad, it has some good bits and a lot of funny bits that I really don't think we're meant to be because I was the only one laughing which led me to bite my lip a few times. I feel it would have been a better movie without the subplot.

Is as good as any James Wan sequel but it's not as good as Insidious or Conjuring. I've heard it compared to Martyrs which is way off base. I suppose with how lame horror is currently, as least cinema based horror, it's easier to see this is better than it is.

Toni Collette is really excellent in it which could be another reason for the praise.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Jurassic World: Forgotten ummm.....thingy.....

Leave brain at, the thing, you walk through them...
Anyway, it's harmless and predictable. I enjoyed it enough. A solid 6/10 kind of effort.
Not going to go out of my way to watch it again, but if it was on TV and I mindlessly surfed past it I might leave it on.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Warcraft

Another let it wash over you job and it is quite acceptable.
It basically does Warcraft 2 era with the dark portal opening and Guldaan being a scamp.

Face value it, pretend you don't know any of it from the games and it's an odd romp with a genuine bad guy who doesn't really get his comeuppance.
As such it does feel half empty and is set for the sequel (that I suspect is never coming).
Did love that Moroes is in it though :D
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Oceans 8
I could feel the brain cells leaping out of my ear to be given a merciful death.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Tichinde wrote:Warcraft

I may give this one a try this weekend.

Previous

Return to TV & Film