Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Snowy wrote:The Staircase - one of the most compelling pieces of television I have watched. Stunning, heartbreaking, staggering - just watch it!

Ha, yeah, we're working through it at the moment. Just watched episode 5. Not sure how many there is in total, but guess we're about halfway through?

It's weird, but even though everything he's said and done seems very pleasant, something about him is setting off my 'he did it!' alarm :lol:

His lawyer is very good.

I am saying nothing, I would hate to spoil any of it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am

Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
Snowy wrote:The Staircase - one of the most compelling pieces of television I have watched. Stunning, heartbreaking, staggering - just watch it!

Ha, yeah, we're working through it at the moment. Just watched episode 5. Not sure how many there is in total, but guess we're about halfway through?

It's weird, but even though everything he's said and done seems very pleasant, something about him is setting off my 'he did it!' alarm :lol:

His lawyer is very good.

Thanks, am very invested in this one and I hadn't heard of the case before!
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:13 pm

What's it on?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Medicine Man wrote:What's it on?

Netflix, went up just recently I think.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 am

Beautiful, thanks Sly. :D

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 am

Watching it myself although only on Episode 4 so far I have to say there's a lot of what feels like filler in this compared to Evil Genius although it is starting to wind up a tad with the connections to the similar case from the 80's I'm unsure if I will last the 13 episodes right now. It's just not all that compelling for the most part.

I can't but help see Mike Peterson as an odd mix of actor Donald Moffat and a post op Barry Manilow whenever he appears on screen.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 am

You're about to get into the trial stuff I think Prey which ups the pace a bit, and also - if I might give minor spoilers - the verdict is halfway through the run, so it doesn't take as long to build up to that as you may think looking at the number of episodes.

I think that's ok to say.
My face is tired.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Really enjoying it, better than Making of a Murderer which had me fast forwarding to the end from halfway through. One episode from the end atm.

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:

His lawyer is very good.

Finished it last night.

Spoiler: show
A bit disappointed that you never get a 100% conclusive answer as to whether he did it - and for me there are still huge question marks over the amount of blood there was after a fall from a few steps up, and the similarity to the case in Germany. However, his lawyer, the film crew and even the judge right at the end seemed fairly convinced of his innocence (even though the judge couldn't go quite that far verbally on camera), so there's that as well. The main takeaway was the appalling conduct of the law enforcement agencies in deciding early on what they thought happened and then trying their hardest to make everything fit that explanation, just as in Making A Murderer.

Overall it was a good series.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:37 am

Still hammering away at Borgia, getting to the back end of the second season now.

I am still enjoying it but also still struggling with it if that makes any sense. The characters are just all over the place - Pope Alexander alternately mooning over his mistress and then having someone tortured or executed in a particularly messy way. Lucretia's dialogue in particular is all over the shop, I really struggle to work out what her motivation is (besides endless cock). Cesare remains nuttier than a squirrel-turd, desperately love-sick one moment, then introduced to a relative of the French king and suddenly his old love is forgotten.

Everything is still too clumsily done for me - the show really lacks the depth of political interplay and intrigue that the Jeremy Irons version did so well.

That said, I am still enjoying it despite all my niggles, and will press on.

To give an analogy, Borgia feels like I am watching Spartacus: Blood & Sand immediately after watching Rome - jarring and silly but still fun.

Mournblade
Stormbringer

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:21 pm

:-k

Interesting assessment. I don't agree with it though. In fact, if we're comparing Rome with Spartacus, I'd be more inclined to swap them around and say Borgia is far more like Rome and The Borgias like Spartacus.
Last edited by Mournblade on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katarn wrote:I wonder what happened to Mournblade?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Maybe I am viewing the original through rose tinted specs, but Borgia just feels...clumsy... by comparison.

I am still enjoying it don't get me wrong. And Spartacus has its place 8) :lol:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:

His lawyer is very good.

Finished it last night.

A bit disappointed that you never get a 100% conclusive answer as to whether he did it - and for me there are still huge question marks over the amount of blood there was after a fall from a few steps up, and the similarity to the case in Germany. However, his lawyer, the film crew and even the judge right at the end seemed fairly convinced of his innocence (even though the judge couldn't go quite that far verbally on camera), so there's that as well. The main takeaway was the appalling conduct of the law enforcement agencies in deciding early on what they thought happened and then trying their hardest to make everything fit that explanation, just as in Making A Murderer.

so.... never covered in the show but how do you guys like the Owl theory? :wink:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 pm

eVoL wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:

His lawyer is very good.

Finished it last night.

so.... never covered in the show but how do you guys like the Owl theory? :wink:

Just looked it up after your post. Actually makes sense of a few questions I had remaining after the series. I doubt they'd ever be able to prove it, though...
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Yeah I read up on that purely by a fluke after watching. Am with Sly, it does make sense.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film