Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
eVoL

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 pm

It was fine. Some of it just seemed a bit silly but it has enough interesting stuff in there and good visuals (but bad cg!). It’s pretty much what I though of Arrival too.

It’s very much a video game as a movie, to me at least. Feels like a Naughty Dog title.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I enjoyed Arrival so I should be fine! :)
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Same. Had me thinking for days after that did. Not sure why but any film that does that is worth a watch in my book.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:33 am

eVoL wrote:It’s very much a video game as a movie, to me at least. Feels like a Naughty Dog title.
You're right. It's less Stalker and more S.T.A.L.K.E.R by way of Naughty Dog. :lol:
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Medicine Man wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Young Offenders

Dumb & Dumber by way of Trainspotting by way of Father Ted. Hilarious with a lot of heart, very good!

Even the Guardian liked it :o

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... ris-walley

I've no idea if anyone has seen this, but just to say they've made a TV series of it as well that's been airing on the BBC, just watched the first (or only?) four episodes on iPlayer, and it's just as great. Lots of laugh out loud moments, and in the last two episodes in particular some genuine feels as well.

Can only repeat my recommendation, really. I'd start with the film, while some of the TV series repeats some parts, I think it really helps to warm to the characters and get more from the show.

Another banger of a recommendation Sly! You've yet to steer me wrong. I found the film to be weaker than the series, but like you say, on the whole I think it added to my enjoyment of the series. Cheers matey. :)

No problem! I think my favourite part of the show:

Spoiler: show
Was in episode 4, when they're repairing the car and Jock and his mum fall into the electric fence... I was howling :lol:

Watched the film and first episode of the TV series (6 episodes now Sly) last night. Fucking hilarious.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Yay! :D
My face is tired.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Darkest Hour

Excellent in some parts, really ropey in others. Not quite sure what to make of it. It is better than average but the made up bits just weaken it....a lot
7/10

The Last Jedi

So re-watched it for the 3rd time. That was tough and after seeing a lot of YouTube videos on SJW I have come around to accepting....it is just short of rubbish
A friend of mine who saw it for the 1st time said and I quote (and she is a she !) "I have not finished watching it, its rather boring"
5/10
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 am

Subway Diet wrote:Anyone seen the new Alex Garland film, Annihilation?

Apparently the studio thought it was too cerebral for cinemas, instead giving it limited run in American theaters and dumping it on Netflix for the rest of the world.
Production stories aside...

Wow!
It's one of those films where the more I think about it in the passing days, the more I realise how much I enjoyed it.
The A.V. Club review wrote:Years from now, someone’s going to stroll down the science-fiction aisle of the last remaining video store on the planet, where they’ll find the last remaining physical copy of Alex Garland’s new movie, Annihilation, shelved neatly between Aliens and Arrival. It will be exactly where the film belongs, and not just alphabetically.

I'm not really sure what else to say, other than if you like your mid-to-high brow Sci-fi trippy, vague and with some cosmic/body horror twists, it's worth the two hours.

This was a great movie. Beautiful, terrifying, mind boggling, disturbing, shit-fuck-crazy all in a good way. Utterly enjoyed it and im frankly surprised that a film like this got made in this day and age. Ill be mulling this over for weeks.

Thanks for the recommendation!!

A shame it didnt get a turn in the cinemas here but they are probably right about the cerebral thing.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 am

Achtung Englander wrote:The Last Jedi
So re-watched it for the 3rd time. That was tough and after seeing a lot of YouTube videos on SJW I have come around to accepting....it is just short of rubbish
A friend of mine who saw it for the 1st time said and I quote (and she is a she !) "I have not finished watching it, its rather boring"
5/10
Wait, what? I've not seen the film yet, but is it anything like the anti-SJW youtube videos for the TFA? People getting upset because the main characters were a white woman and a black man?

It was like a triple punch of "I can't relate with non white male characters", "This woman is not subservient enough" and "I don't like the implication of mixed race relationships".
They were also rather happy to know it was directed by a Jewish man as well. ;)
Last edited by Subway Diet on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 am

Yeah, watched Annihilation Friday night and enjoyed it, good rec Subby.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 am

Glad to hear the Annihilation recommendation went down well.

I'm still really impressed by it.
End of an Era

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 am

Subway Diet wrote:
Achtung Englander wrote:The Last Jedi
5/10
Wait, what? I've not seen the film yet, but is it anything like the anti-SJW youtube videos for the TFA? People getting upset because the main characters were a white woman and a black man?

It was like a triple punch of "I can't relate with non white male characters", "This woman is not subservient enough" and "I don't like the implication of mixed race relationships".
They were also rather happy to know it was directed by a Jewish man as well. ;)

Watch the movie. The hate is justified up to a point when every "hero" is now a woman and every male main character is chastised or going through some male identity crises. I do not buy into conspiracy cases but I have come around to believe Kathleen Kennedy is on some sort of feminist agenda now.

Let's see what she does with this new Solo movie.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 am

Anything that is described as having a "Feminist agenda" raises huge red flags. Though more for credibility of the people making such claims.

When some pundit on youtube start claiming anything promoting social minorities is some kind of insidious agenda, I can't help but take a defensive stance.

Well, I shall no doubt touch on this again after seeing the film.
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Heaven forbid we have a film where the female characters are portrayed in a better light to the male ones. We've only had 100 years of the opposite.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 am

Isn’t resident evil enough?!?!?!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film