Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Nethlyn

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 am

John Wick 2

Bigger locations and wider action than the first, the double DVD pack was a bargain and can't wait for film no.3 which I may finally catch on the big screen next time.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 am

Watched Logan Lucky last night.

Honestly had not heard of this film before. Then it started popping up in end of year lists. And then I heard it was a Steven Soderbergh movie and had to jump on it.
Got to admit, that was really good fun. To be reductive, it's sort of like Hell or High Water with it's depressed working class getting up to crimes, but replacing the bleakness with a Cohen-esque humour, bundled together in the trappings of a slick heist movie.

Managed to be one of those films that makes up for it's few deficiencies by simply having characters you're happy to be hanging out with.

It's not much of a spoiler, but whatever:
Spoiler: show
Of all the things to have me laughing out loud, the whole sub-plot with the intense "life-hacker" driver being forced to chug a crap energy drink for a promo, only to literally and figuratively crash during the big race amused the hell out of me. It's like, that whole side story could have been dropped and next to nothing in the film would change. Yet it's there and hilarious.

Ordered a cheap copy of the Ocean's trilogy. Hopefully it'll offer the same kind of amusement.

(2017: the year of John Denver songs in movies?)
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am

Jumanji 3
Its not all bad, some of it is pretty funny (and a bit on the nose for a kids film) but man when its bad its awful!
"Whats happening?"
"I think this is a cut scene. A lot of games have them. Its when you watching things happening like a movie"

The game thing could have had a lot more potential than what it ended up.

Its the worst Jumanji film -_-
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:07 am

There's a Jumanji 2?!
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Pew-Pew wrote:There's a Jumanji 2?!
The spiritual sequel Zathura!

End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Just saw Bright myself and don't really get why critics hated it so much. It's just a relatively brainless buddy cop action movie with some half decent laughs, fight choreography and special effects. Were they expecting it to be some sort of all time classic and went away feeling let down or something?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Mantis wrote:Just saw Bright myself and don't really get why critics hated it so much. It's just a relatively brainless buddy cop action movie with some half decent laughs, fight choreography and special effects. Were they expecting it to be some sort of all time classic and went away feeling let down or something?

I know. As I said previously, the critics' reaction to it is mystifying. I can only assume it's being snobbish about a made-for-TV film with no theatrical release.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Usually I don't bother posting what I've been watching. Mostly because I don't feel I'm as eloquent at capturing my feelings on things as most on here, but I just watched The Red Turtle when I got in from work last night/this morning.

Sitting greeting my eyes out like a big jessie. A truly beautiful film from start to finish. Some will probably think its a bit artsy fartsy and goes on longer than it should, but I liked it. Some of the animation is just stunning. From what I could see of it anyway through my womany tear filled eyes. :)

Achtung Englander

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:15 am

All The Money In The World

I broke my own Ridley Scott ban (I hang my head in shame). I enjoyed this a lot and I do not care about the whole Kevin Spacey bit being replaced by Chris Plummer who did an amazing job and was closer to the age of Paul Getty anyway (which makes Spacey selection odd !). Michelle Williams played her role superbly and the film was powered by the strength of those 2 roles alone.

The 70s setting is very good (my favourite decade) and Hollywood is getting better in not over-doing it with the 70s vibe and it did feel quite authentic.

The ending was pure Hollywood and it did feel like it was filmed to add tension unnecessarily. It reminded me of the ending from Argo. Bullshit but watchable.

I could easily watch this again.

8/10
Games playing : Max Payne 3 / Doom / Dirt 3 / RTW 2

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am

Train to Busan

Was idly browing Amazon Prime for a decent Friday night flick, and stumbled across this little gem. It's a Korean (English subtitles) zombie outbreak horror type thing. I won't spoil it beyond that except to say it's very well done, good action and some very tense moments, characters you start to care about and so on. If you like things like 28 Days Later etc I'd say definitely check it out.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Spiderman: Homecoming: Never got around to seeing this at the cinema, but we watched it last night. It's in my top 5 MCU films, maybe even top 3. It's just fun, and I'm glad they barely touched on Spiderman's origin story (was Uncle Ben even mentioned by name?) when surely everybody knows it by now. Tom Holland continues to be excellent (I wouldn't have guessed he was 20 when this was released; he really does look his character's age), and I really enjoyed the supporting cast too.

This also had I think the funniest post-credits scene in MCU history. The idea for Cap's cameos was good to begin with, but the final one nailed the concept.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 am

Raid wrote:I'm glad they barely touched on Spiderman's origin story (was Uncle Ben even mentioned by name?) when surely everybody knows it by now.

Yes, this. There are two origin stories I never need to see again: Spiderman's and Batman's. When Batman vs Superman started with Bruce Wayne's parents getting killed outside a theatre, I sighed so hard. Like, ohhh, now I get it, Batman's parents were murdered - that explains everything. :? Although in BvS it does play into the "MAAAARTHAAAAA!" growling contest later on.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Yeah, it doesn't help that just about every take on Batman's has been practically identical.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 am

Geralds Game
Liked that a lot. Such a simple, almost theatrical premise that works amazingly well for the most part. The last 10mins are bad though and ruin some of the earlier parts. I would assume the test audiences are to blame for that but I wouldnt be surprised if Stephen "cannie write an ending" King was to blame either. I also didnt really think the mouse stuff was necessary and felt more like it was for (lame) shock value. It is quite good though, it just could have been better. *That* scene was well done, props to the effects.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.
That was great! Frances McDormand kills it as always. It straddles that line of funny and dark well even if Dixon verged a little into the overly shlocky. Best film of the year so far.... all 19 days of it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:52 pm

The Commuter
Just awful. Makes no sense on any level, isn’t even fun and such bad CG. The plot revolves around the FBI being morons, all powerful unlimited resource bad guys being morons, cops being morons, passengers being morons, the world being morons except Neeson who is the only person in the world who could possibly use basic common sense which makes him a super hero! Also fully trained kick ass men can’t take on 60 year old insurance salesman.

Watch Moneytrain instead ;)

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film