Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
elgaucho

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread)

Postby elgaucho » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Definitely do NOT watch Iron Fish. It is a load of total PISH.

On the flip side...

Loving The Orville wannabe Star Trek show.

Graves is a brilliantly unexpected little comedy show, currently in season 2.

And Brooklyn Nine Nine remains one of my favourite comedies through yet another season!

Struggling for good drama though. Started Ozark, and i'll stick with it, although not sure how much it's gripping me.

Anyone tried Punisher? I'm terrified of trying any more Netflix Marvel shows... after the first two they soooooo went downhill.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Really want to see this Orville series. Saw some videos of it and it looks hilarious.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Luke Cage and Iron Fist were both mostly terrible.
Preferred IF though but they are both god awful and unmemorable.

Starting Punisher, right now in fact :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

I am 4 episodes into series one of The Sinner. A woman seemingly cracks, and randomly murders a guy in broad daylight for no reason. But as things move on there is clearly something locked away in the past that she cant remember, plus a host of other issues (nefarious and creepy parents being one). Then you have the main detective investigating (Bill Pullman) who himself has a few.....interesting habits, shall we say.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Two episodes into The Punisher.
Seems good, but too early to tell if we're back to gold, on another stinker or somewhere in between at the mo.
I'd learn towards the better end because it's been suitably violent so if nothing else it has good fan service going for it.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I am 4 episodes in and its shaping up VERY nicely. Someone has done there homework here and managed to create something faithful yet very contemporary without doing the whole "take THAT society".

I will also say its a rarity in as much that it shows something about Frank Castle/The Punisher not many people beyond Garth Ennis ever did and thats that Frank enjoys killing. He's not just good at it is almost what he was built to do. Even before his personal tragedy that created his infamous namesake it shows Lt Castle had no issue with the removal of life in the name of right and wrong.

Garth Ennis has always had sub text that showed Frank lived for his war and that he even "agreed" to the death of his family for permission to wage his war. It was even hinted that Frank used his families deaths as an excuse to keep fighting his war.

Or maybe I am reading too much into it. How knows. Either way I am really enjoying it and Jon Bernthal is astonishingly well cast as the Punisher. So good he often roars (literally).
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm about to take the plunge with it myself later this evening but I'm hearing a lot of noise concerning how Netflix's Marvel series are all becoming far too formulaic and Luke Cage is already becoming a bit stale and I've not even finished Season 1.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 pm

The last few series have been a little hit and miss. Luke Cage was fairly solid for the first five or six episodes but then it just descends into bad writing and cliché crap. The Defenders really wasn't all that either, only really had appeal because of the interactions between the main characters but was otherwise quite weak.

Even Daredevil S2 went swiftly downhill half way through when the Castle storyline started wrapping up and it went a bit doolally for ninjas.

I've heard on good authority that The Punisher is excellent though, looking forward to watching it. The Punisher was definitely the best part of DD S2 so you can't go wrong with more of Jon Bernthal.

I'd still say that Jessica Jones S1 and DD S1 are the two strongest seasons they've had so far though, both of them were excellent.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Anyone been watching that tv series 12 monkeys ... loosely based on the film apparently but it's meant to be pretty good.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 am

Jez wrote:Anyone been watching that tv series 12 monkeys ... loosely based on the film apparently but it's meant to be pretty good.

I recall watching the first episode, but didn't bother watching any more. It was ok, but there was plenty other stuff around at the time that was more interesting. I never bothered to go back to it. I read somewhere that it got canned.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 pm

12 Monkeys was good, season 1 was punchy, followed the film vaguely enough for the tie in, likable characters etc etc.

It does start tailing off towards sesason 3.

The Punisher is also done and dusted.
Get it watched fellas, it's damn good.

Heeeeeeeey

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Tichinde wrote:The Punisher is also done and dusted.
Get it watched fellas, it's damn good.

Same, and I agree. Strong showing from Marvel after some horrendous duds.

A couple of real video nasty effects in the last couple of episodes too, the last of which sets up a regular Punisher villain boding well for future series.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:32 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:I am 4 episodes into series one of The Sinner. A woman seemingly cracks, and randomly murders a guy in broad daylight for no reason. But as things move on there is clearly something locked away in the past that she cant remember, plus a host of other issues (nefarious and creepy parents being one). Then you have the main detective investigating (Bill Pullman) who himself has a few.....interesting habits, shall we say.

Just finished watching this. I enjoyed it, but I'd also say that I stopped short of loving it. I'm not entirely sure why, but Mrs Boots felt the same, though for different reasons. For me there were times when things seemed to be moving too slowly for me to feel properly engaged, while she loved those bits and wasn't so keen on the parts where things were actually happening.

Yeah, there aren't that many shows we mutually agree on :lol:
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
gpa-gone-west wrote:I am 4 episodes into series one of The Sinner. A woman seemingly cracks, and randomly murders a guy in broad daylight for no reason. But as things move on there is clearly something locked away in the past that she cant remember, plus a host of other issues (nefarious and creepy parents being one). Then you have the main detective investigating (Bill Pullman) who himself has a few.....interesting habits, shall we say.

Just finished watching this. I enjoyed it, but I'd also say that I stopped short of loving it. I'm not entirely sure why, but Mrs Boots felt the same, though for different reasons. For me there were times when things seemed to be moving too slowly for me to feel properly engaged, while she loved those bits and wasn't so keen on the parts where things were actually happening.

Yeah, there aren't that many shows we mutually agree on :lol:

I think that is spot on. Not quite great, a bit of a missed opportunity. Still, I really enjoyed it though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Just started watching Godless on Netflix on the recommendation of a mate of mine. Great show so far (3 of 8 episodes down), a western but quite unlike other westerns I have watched.

It is mightily brutal so those of a sensitive disposition probably worth steering clear. From the opening scene - a burning town where every person has been killed, it has had me hooked though. Really different and provided you are not bothered by claret a really compelling watch with a villain that is just superb.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film