Rio Olympics - one of the least exciting ever

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Achtung Englander

Rio Olympics - one of the least exciting ever

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Apparently its happening but with the degree of apathy from the media and just in general - I cannot recall a Games that has had the least amount of excitement....or is it me ?

I would rather watch some a decent TV series or a film.

Maybe when track and field starts....

On Sunday morning I saw some female beach volleyball to a stadium half full even when Brazil are playing. I read that the tight security is turning people off queuing for hours. When the locals cannot be fucked to turn up to support female beach volleyball...in a country that is obsessed with beach fun - you know it must be bad.

Maybe the Olympic committee with all its corruption has managed to systematically turn everyone off
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Wrathbone

Re: Rio Olympics - one of the least exciting ever

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:28 am

I've actually watched more of this olympics so far than I did of London, and I went to that. Not sure about media apathy - it's been all over everything as far as I can tell, unless you're referring to print media (which I don't read)? You're right about the stadiums being half empty, though. For the archery yesterday there looked to be about 20 people in the stands at one point. There's a feel of it being the austerity olympics, which came across in the opening ceremony (not a criticism - I thought it was decent), and obviously the security dangers and the fact that Rio is crime central can't be helping.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Rugby 7's has been great though. A real great game to watch. 7 minute halves, and quick paced.

I dont normally start watching until the athletics though.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 pm

I think the drug scandal, the uncomfortable fact of poverty in Brazil and the timezone has put a lot of people off. They are also following from London that managed to fill every stadium with spectators for ever sport and Beijing that made sure all seats had people in them. Roll on Tokyo 2020 ¬_¬
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 am

t's true, you get a feeling that the Brazilians really don't give a fuck. They have huge poverty problems and politically they are trying to impeach a corrupt president while the judicial system seems to be in bed with the corrupt politicians, the education system has no money and the economy has ground to a halt.

Its difficult then to care who won the fencing

it would not surprise me that the day after the closing ceremony there will be mass riot on the streets "now that shit is over - what about us !"
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Edwin wrote:I think the drug scandal, the uncomfortable fact of poverty in Brazil and the timezone has put a lot of people off. They are also following from London that managed to fill every stadium with spectators for every sport and Beijing that made sure all seats had people in them. Roll on Tokyo 2020 ¬_¬

This in bold. 2012 the BBC put up extra web streams and it was great clicking a button to see whatever sport you wanted at the sports site. This time round they put that into 8 extra TV channels instead and you have to hit the main iPlayer to drill through the footage if you miss something. The trade-off is you can watch it all for three more weeks but even when staying up late sport isn't usually the first thing you watch.

Throw in the fact that the host city almost never makes money (not sure about London, maybe selling off the flats and West Ham moving in will mean we break even) and no wonder the people are protesting the games in Brazil, and the IOC chose somewhere else that has hosted before for next time.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 am

I have watched very little live, due to working shifts (nights at the mo). So I tend to watch bits and bobs when I can. London 2012, obviously I watched loads of it. Had the timezone and my shifts allowed, I would watch loads of this as well.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:57 pm

I've started to watch a bit more of this over the last few days and even stayed up for the the 10k and the long jump on Saturday night. Getting into it a bit more now that the sports I enjoy watching have started.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Got to be the best 'its time to pack up now' line ever, from Christine Ohuruogu on failing to get to the 400m final:-

"I think it's one minute to midnight and this girl is about to turn into a pumpkin"

:lol:

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Caught the best-of streams inc Brit-Only and Rest of the World golds, from that it's easier to pick the full sports to see exactly what happened even if you know the result eg the football. Same drill for Tokyo except I'll have a PVR by then to record the overnight best-ofs, this'll be the proper iPlayer Olympics for a lot of people.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Return to A Question of Sport