World Cup 2014

They think its all over... got cancelled.

gpa-gone-west

Re: World Cup 2014

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I hope PSG kept the receipt, Luiz is an horrific defender.

£50m, jeepers.

He wasnt the only one. I thought Fred was shit the whole world cup so far.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Add "Hulk" to that list.

Flimsiest Brazil side I've ever seen.

Zael

Postby Zael » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Brazil's goal did show how vulnerable the Germans are if the high line doesn't work by either catching the attacker offside or Neuer not being there to sweep. Robben/Messi could have a lot of fun with that line.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:24 am

Van Persie is out with an intestinal problem...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:12 am

A truly astounding game. Brazil were just woeful, I've never seen such poor defending by a top side on such a big stage before. I started to feel sorry for them after a while and hoped Germany would ease off a little bit. Like others I thought Germany would win as Brazil have been average at best and have been carried through by a combination of refereeing decisions and crowd support. However I never thought it would be like this. I don't think a host nation has ever lost by such a big score line or been booed off the pitch.

It is perhaps chickens coming home to roost in some respects. Perhaps Brazil have been living too much off the past and have failed to develop the players needed to succeed on the world stage. The emergence of Naymar has maybe papered over the cracks in this regard, but this defeat throws them wide open. Time for Brazil to take a long hard look at their national setup I think.

Regarding Germany I thought they were efficient, but they are not suddenly an amazing team. Brazil barely defended for most of the game making it easy for Germany. In the second half when Brazil had a period of possession and started to attack a bit, and at the end when they scored they showed that Germany are still very weak at the back. Don't forget this is the team that were terrorised by Algeria for 45 minutes and only just managed to scrape through. I think people need to get a bit of perspective before proclaiming that Germany are champions elect.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:18 am

Germany have been an excellent side since 2006 in fairness, probably been my guilty pleasure as far as international football goes since then. Spain have won the lot in that time, but personally find the style they've played doing it a bit dull. Germany have had the added power and adventure that I enjoy watching.

It's coming together more for them now as all the young players they started to bring through then are now hitting their peak... and there seems to be a lot more coming through the ranks as we speak - Reus, Gotze, Draxler et al.

Brazil have some great player but Scolari is not a great manager for them, are the likes of Fred, Jo and, for all his £50m pricetag, Luiz really the best they can do? Such a shame that a country whose football heritage is built on exciting, skillful football had to resort to cheating and thuggery, and I don't think you can look too far beyond the manager for that. Hopefully this will cause them to take a look at themselves a bit and maybe get back to what made them great in the first place.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am

The cheating and thuggery started with Dunga to be fair, Scholari has just continued it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:The cheating and thuggery started with Dunga to be fair, Scholari has just continued it.

Oh, absolutely.
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 am

Ultimately a very forgettable Brazilian squad, apart from last nights thrashing, which lets face it nobody will ever forget.
Last edited by gpa-gone-west on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:06 am

Sly Boots wrote:Hopefully this will cause them to take a look at themselves a bit and maybe get back to what made them great in the first place.

Unfortunately for them the likes of Socrates, Zico, Falcao, Jairzinho, Rivellino, Pele, Garrincha etc only come around on very rare occasions.

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:18 am

I don't think they've stopped producing great talent. Players like Neymar, Oscar, Filipe Luis, Thiago Silva, Costa (If he didn't betray his country) are all top players. It's just as Sly and DJ have said, Scolari has played them in a cynical, ugly way and has been found out by a good attacking side.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:26 pm

The last time Germany wrecked a whole country like this, I seem to remember a war crimes tribunal.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Now that is comedy....
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Danny Baker ‏@prodnose
wrote:
-Scandal Brewing? Brazil refused all urine tests after game saying "We've had the piss taken out of us quite enough for one night thank you."

-Incredible. Against all the odds this World Cup will now not be mainly remembered for Luis Suarez biting someone.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Anyone watch the Holland v Argentina game? It's pretty dire.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport