MotoGp 2013 Season

They think its all over... got cancelled.

arqueturus

MotoGp 2013 Season

Postby arqueturus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:01 pm

So then, gentlemen going in circles on two wheeled vehicles very fast. Does anyone partake?

Tomorrow is the first race of the 2013 season and it's a night race at Losail in Qatar. There's a potententially facinating season ahead because of the recent history of the main players:

Jorge Lorenzo

Yamaha Factory Racing

Mr Consistant. Last years champion although you could argue that he spent the final few races fighting a rear guard action against Dani Pedrosa who was charging in lieu of Casey Stoner (retired now and racing barges in Australia) then cracked under pressure in the gloves off race in Valencia after he'd secured the championship. He's been nicknamed 'the Metronome' due to his unfailing ability to but in lap after lap within 100th's of a second of each other and hit the same bit of tarmac over and over again. This year he's once again sharing his garage with Valentino Rossi his old rival in YFR from 2009/2010, they really really didn't get on. Things are eerily civil between them so far but it could all erupt within the season depending on Rossi's form. I like Lorenzo, he's matured from being a bit of arrogant bastard to a ice cool pro but this is going to be the season where he will cement himself as one of the greatest if he can take the championship.

Dani Pedrosa

Repsol Honda (HRC)

I like Dani, he's fast and small enough to fit in your pocket - the fastest rider never to win a championship. Has been known to be a little too passive and has been unlucky enough to always have team mates that are stellar talents which continues this year with team mate (and rookie) Marc Marquez. To me, Dani changed last year after Casey Stoner was injured in Indianapolis and was out for a few races. He uncharacteristically took the fight to Lorenzo and just out raced him time after time. Dani is my pick for the championship this year, assuming we get the new Dani, not the old. He wants to beat Lorenzo after last year and wants to beat yet another fast Spaniard in his team mate.

Valentino Rossi

Yamaha Factory Racing

The Doctor is... in? There's not much that can be said about Rossi that hasn't already been said. Following a disastrous 2 years with Ducati he's back with what will probably his last chance to take the top prize. He made the right descision to go to Ducati but the PR side was a disaster that's caused a massive backlash. It was the right decision as he'd won the championship on Honda and Yamaha bikes already, going to the italian marque as an italian to win on another championship was pure passion but he and the bike just didn't gel with only 3 podiums in 2 years and no wins in those seasons which was a first for him. Back on the Yamaha and it's suddenly business as usual - he's back in touch with the best times. Never bet against Rossi he may not be a spring chicken but he's cunning and within that amiable exterior lies a racing god.

Cal Crutchlow

Monster Yahama Tech 3

Cal is quality. Aggressive, willing to learn and very very British. His main issue is that he's as slow as molasses of the line and has consistency issue. Nicknamed alternatively 'Gnasher' and 'The Honey Badger' due to the fact he isn't scared of anyone on the track. If he can manage to raise his game this season he will be great and I, for one, want to see him pushing and fighting with the best.

Andrea Dovizioso

Ducati Team

Rossi's replacement at Ducati and their next great hope. I was initially surprised that he went to Ducati as I've always considered him a super smooth rider and felt that the Duke responds best to being ragged by the likes of Stoner and De Puniet. There's no doubt he's a great racer and severly fucked over by Honda in 2011. He had some epic races in the 250 class against Marco Simoncelli on an underperforming Honda where he shone but has never seemed to capture that form. What is a shock is that he's placing well in practice times on the Ducati so he might just provide the goods. Watch out for him, he know's how to race and is still hungry to win. This year might be his setup year on the Ducati and it might really happen next year (especially with the influx of Audi money) but we shall see.

Marc Marquez

Repsol Honda Team (HRC)

Oh boy. The sheer speed of this kid. He's the fastest natural rider I've seen since Stoner. But he's fucking mad. Doesn't seem to know where the line is, or even if there is a fucking line at all (that was during a cooldown lap in qualifying/practice) the only rider he hasn't dominated is Scott Redding. He will podium this year. He might even win races but I doubt he'll win the championship this year. What remains to be seen is if he has a rookie season like Jorge Lorenzo in 2008 and smashes himself to pieces finding 'the limit'.

Well, that's my pick of the contenders this year. I'll follow it up soon with a post about the rest.

Scrappy

Re: MotoGp 2013 Season

Postby Scrappy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm backing Rossi this season. I've watched MotoGP on and off recently but I'm going to follow it more closely this season. For me, Rossi and Yamaha are a winning combo. Not too familiar with the ins and outs of the sport as I've only loosely watched it last year but it should be fun :) Getting into the "automotive" sports more as I get older. I ended up watching the San Marino race where Tomizawa died as my first race. :(

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Well, that was an interesting qualifying. Not so sure on the new format but it certainly seemed to make it more hectic. Lorenzo was the consumate pro I expected, Cal seemed to wrap it in a lap too early, Rossi must be seething at being out-qualified by Dovizioso, Pedrosa starts slow and builds but If I'm honest didn't look happy but more than anything I'm not sure what happened with Marquez, he simply didn't feature in qualifying at all.

Qatar times.JPG
Qatar times.JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 3996 times

Race wise my money is on Lorenzo to win, Cal to podium or crash, then it's between Pedrosa, Marquez and Rossi. One thing to take away from this race is that it's never a decent indication of how the season is going to go.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Sigur Ros wrote:I'm backing Rossi this season. I've watched MotoGP on and off recently but I'm going to follow it more closely this season. For me, Rossi and Yamaha are a winning combo. Not too familiar with the ins and outs of the sport as I've only loosely watched it last year but it should be fun :) Getting into the "automotive" sports more as I get older. I ended up watching the San Marino race where Tomizawa died as my first race. :(

I've now seen 3 rider be killed live in race. Showa was the 2nd and they were all fucking awful. I want to see no more. As for Rossi, I just don't know.. I think he will podium often and perhaps win a race or two but not the title this year, I just don't think he's young enough anymore. Happy to be proved wrong though.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Wow, what an intriguing race!

Rossi got a decent start from 7th and moved up to 3rd in the first lap, then overcooked it at the start of the second and ended up back in 7th again but much further back. Cal pushed Pedrosa (with Marquez coming past him) then stuck with them. Tick tock was the sound of Lorenzo getting down to business and moving gradually away, never made a single mistake that I saw. So at this point we have:

1. Lorenzo
  2. Pedrosa
  3. Marquez
  4. Crutchlow
  5. Bradl
  6. Rossi
  7. Dovizioso

But there is a large gap from Rossi to Crutchlow and Bradl in the way. What followed was a demonstration of why Rossi is loved in this sport, he proceeded to pass Bradl (who then crashes trying to keep up) and in the following 5 or 6 laps bridge the gap to Crutchlow (who was still glued to the back of Pedrosa as Marquez had passed him the lap before), Rossi then took him at the end of the home straight and Crutchlow made a mistake and ran on effectivly sealing his position in 5th. Rossi then overtook Pedrosa on the next lap, caught Marquez and passed him about a lap later, was repassed by Marquez the took the 2nd place back in the last lap and held it. Great Stuff. Rossi ran out of fuel on the cooling down lap and had to get a lift back to the parc ferme... on a Ducati.

To sum up:

Lorenzo: Perfect race.
Pedrosa: Never looked sorted all weekend, I'm hoping that this isn't the return of old Dani.
Marquez: Fulfilled all the promise, rode clean and fast with a few mistakes. Definately wins to come from him this season.
Rossi: Fantastic race and an intesting debrief afterwards where he acknowledged his early mistake but was massively positive.
Crutchlow: Best I've ever seen him race in Motogp. I get the feeling that, but for the one big error after being passed by Rossi, he would have still been snapping at the heels of Pedrosa and Marquez until the end of the race.
Dovizioso: Flashes of promise in qualifying but ultimatley ended up 7th which is exactly were the Ducati was most often with Rossi on it and about the same time back from the leader (24 seconds) too.

Next race is at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin on the 21st of April. This is the first race there and bar some testing by the Yamaha and Honda riders it's new to everyone. In theory the track will favor the Hondas but, as ever, things are impossible to predict.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:59 am

Round 2 - Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas

This is the first Motogp at this circuit and it shows.

Mark Marquez owns this circuit, as does Honda. I'm not a massive fan myself as it's designed for F1 which means lots of stop/start corners (hence the Honda bias) nevertheless it's always interesting to see how different riders cope with the learning curve. Rossi is struggling badly with the circuit but I expect him to improve a little in the race. Here's the qualifying times:
Attachments
Texas times.jpg
Texas times.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 3946 times

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:14 am

The main Motogp race is live on BBC3 from 19:30. Coverage starts live on Eurosport 2/2HD from 16:15 and includes the Motogp warm up session followed by Moto3 and Moto2 races which have all the signs of being just as exciting as the main race. Eurosport don't have the licence to show the race live so they will show it at 21:00 but in a 'live' format as it were.

Even if you don't normally watch bike racing, watch this one. If you've never watched bike racing before then this may be the race that hooks you; mistakes will be made, lap times are vastly different between riders, everything is an unknown, people will run on without being forced, places will change and crashes will probably happen.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Marquez!!!

Edit: Not a MotoGP man but arqueturus' thread persuaded me to watch the live stream. And good thing too, what an overtake!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Same here, never watched a MotoGP race before but that was riveting stuff.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 pm

That was some quality stuff right there. Marquez rode a flawless race and Dani did everything he could to win, push as hard as possible after Marc passed him, he may have pushed harder than I've ever seen him to point of destroying his tyre or running low on fuel, great stuff. Lorenzo did the business too, although the start was an odd one - I watched the warm up session at 16:15 and what was strange was that everyone did a practice start on their grid places (normally they do it at some point on the cool down lap where it's safe and then come around and into the pits but I'm guessing that turn one made most nervous and they wanted to do it one grid) and Jorge screwed up his practice start in much the same way as the actual start which makes me wonder if it was mechanical somehow. For the record, that's the first time in the last 18 races that Jorge hasn't been in the top two (not counting 2 DNF's), hard times for him I guess. Cal showed some great form, such a shame he fluffed the corner but he impressed fighting back from it.

The next race is at Jerez on May the 7th. Jerez always feels like where the season really gets going (used to nearly always be the second race) and is one of my favorite tracks. It's going to be an interesting one becasuse Rossi has always gone great there on the Yamaha, as has Lorenzo and Pedrosa but Marquez has had mixed form. This season is simmering up nicely.

If you enjoyed this race, try and watch the Moto2 and Moto3 races, they tend to be more entertaining (although not this particular time) with 30+ riders and things are much closer.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:50 am

Hmm. Regarding the practise starts, if I remember rightly from F1 last year the grid slots are on a slope which meant the drivers at the front had to keep a certain amount of bite to keep the car from rolling back. Could be a similar thing with the bikes and therefore they did it there to judge where the bikes were?

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Rossell wrote:Hmm. Regarding the practise starts, if I remember rightly from F1 last year the grid slots are on a slope which meant the drivers at the front had to keep a certain amount of bite to keep the car from rolling back. Could be a similar thing with the bikes and therefore they did it there to judge where the bikes were?

Hmm, in theory that could happen - the way launch control works on bikes; basically you sit there with the launch control engaged, clutch in throttle on to about 14k rpm - on an incline you would have normally be holding the bike with a brake of some sort (front brake on the same handle as throttle) but maybe Jorge wasn't, he certainly wouldn't do that on the flat. The lights change and clutch gets dumped and off you go. Whatever the reason, it probably didn't make a huge difference to the result, on form, finishing 3rd was as good as it got. The folks that underperformed were Bradl and Bautista, should have been ahead of Cal in theory.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Round 3 - Jerez

Love this circuit so much, nearly always delivers up something special. However, todays qualification was brought to you by Skittles (TM). Crutchlow crashed off twice in an hour, Pedrosa once as did Rossi. Lorenzo seemed as implacable as however though.

I can't call this, it really might go any way the qualifying times were very close. Rossi loves this track and has a good tracjk record here, Lorenzo is ever the even bet but the axe is also grinding between Marquez and Pedrosa again as this is a prestigious win to take in Spain and then there's Crutchlow, the guy crashes (fast crash too) in FP4 (the 30 minute warmup before qualification) get's up and goes back out on bike #2 then crashes it again (another fast one) about 30 minutes later in QP2, hares it back to the garage and get's back on the recently repaired first bike and goes back out for the last 4 minutes of the session, awesome. If he can avoid crashing or making a mistake in the race then I think he might be in with a chance of a podium.

The race is live on BBC 2 at 12:30 and shown in a Live formate on Eurosport 1/1HD at 14:30. Moto3 and Moto2 are shown live from 09:30 on Eurosport 2/2HD.
Attachments
Jerez times.jpg
Jerez times.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 3893 times

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 am

However, todays qualification was brought to you by Skittles (TM)

:lol:

Enjoy the race today folks.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun May 05, 2013 12:46 pm

[-X
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Next

Return to A Question of Sport