International footy

They think its all over... got cancelled.

katarn

International footy

Postby katarn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm

There was an existing England thread but it was shunted into the archives I think. So here be a new one.

England are playing Brazil in a friendly tonight (live on ITV 7:30 kick-off). Will we be taught an embarrassing football lesson? Or can we develop a way of putting on some half-decent football ourselves? It'll be cool to see Neymar play.

Amazingly, Brazil are currently ranked 18th in the world.

Zael

Re: International footy

Postby Zael » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Really looking forward to seeing Ronaldinho play. It's just a shame Scolari has dropped Kaka.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Are they really 18th? How did that happen?

As it's only a friendly there'll be a big question mark over how seriously the players take it, I think they'd absolutely hump us in a competitive fixture.
My face is tired.

Inflammable Jim

Postby Inflammable Jim » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Mostly it's that they're not playing competitive matches as they auto-qualify for the 2014 world cup by being hosts. Friendlies have a lot less ranking weight than competitive games, and games played in the last year have more weight than ones played a couple years ago. So it's a bit of an anomaly. They have lost a few games to Argentina in that time but that's about it.

They are ranked #2 in the ELO ratings (scroll to the bottom) but nobody uses them and they shift much more slowly >_>

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 pm

They were also shite in South American Championship thingy they have over there. They're kind of forced to take Friendlys seriously as its the only football they'll get before the world cup, as Jim says.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Quite a pleasing first half. Good to see Wilshere in there. It's a shame he spent such a huge chunk out with injury, not just for England but for his own sake and Arsenal's.

Brazil have also looked dangerous and should have scored themselves. Decent game!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 am

That was a pretty fun game to watch. Some positive performances and I think the midfield we now have looks very strong, especially when you consider that you have someone of Lampards quality to bring on as a sub. At centre back we seem to be lacking a bit of leadership, but I don't think that would be Hodgson's first choice pairing.

Oh and the penalty decision, yet more evidence that they need to change that law. At least they didn't score.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 pm

World Cup 2014 will have goal line technology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21505488

Good news - potentially. Although I don't know yet how they'll go about reviewing incidents - it'll need to be quick.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm

katarn wrote:World Cup 2014 will have goal line technology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21505488

Good news - potentially. Although I don't know yet how they'll go about reviewing incidents - it'll need to be quick.

I'm guessing it'd be too much to ask them to pause the clock for this type of thing. Is that too Rugby for them?

Inflammable Jim

Postby Inflammable Jim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm

All it needs is TV replays, god >_>

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 am

Hodgson reverting to type by the sound of it:

Gary Lineker described England's tactics against Republic of Ireland as "a step back to the dark ages" as Roy Hodgson's side were held to a 1-1 draw.

Hodgson opted for a 4-4-2 system but his players produced a lacklustre performance at Wembley against Giovanni Trapattoni's side.

Former England striker Lineker won 80 international caps between 1984 and 1992, scoring 48 times.

"Brazil will thrash us if we line up the same way," he wrote on Twitter.

"Even though results haven't been great, I felt tactically England were maturing, but this is a step back to the dark ages of two lines of four.

"Don't like England playing this system. So easy to play against. Predictable and dated.

"It's not about playing in straight lines, it's about playing between the lines. Depth gives flexibility, passing alternatives, creativity."
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 am

Dunno, we haven't exactly got a bunch of dynamic players and I'm not really expecting dynamic football. I only caught the second half but they seemed alright to me - Irish goalkeeper made some excellent saves to keep it to a draw.

Also, not sure if the problem is Hodgson as such - England played far worse under Capello in 2010.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 am

Are there any English teams still playing 4-4-2, though (except maybe Stoke)? It's just an archaic system that makes even less sense now that domestic players are used to playing a different way week-in, week-out. But, with Hodgson, that's what you get.

Plenty of teams in the PL are playing decent football now, it's not like a bit of skill is completely anathema to our players, but as Liverpol found, Hodgson is basically clueless when it comes to integrating a bit of flair into his sides.

I find it more interesting that aggravating as I'm pretty meh about England and have been for years, but it would be nice if we didn't play like a bunch of cloggers at some point in my lifetime.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 am

I don't think Hodgson has been using 442 much for England. This is the first time in a while he's done it. The thing is, the team have looked no better playing other formations.

Personally, I lean more towards the players than the manager/formation as being the problem.

Although a few of the England players do well for their clubs, a lot of them aren't the standout players for their teams. They spend so much time surrounded by foreign talent (who nearly always take fewer touches with the ball and are seemingly more comfortable at fast interplay) I'm not sure if it's easy for them to play amazing football by themselves. Plus there's a shocking lack of depth in creative English talent compared to other top countries.

They're a solid bunch of players but I don't know how much better they can play, without the tailor-made weekly foreign mash-up they're used to for their PL sides. If I made an objective best-11 European team, I don't know if I could put a single Englishman into it. Perhaps Carrick on current form? Dunno.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am

I think last nights formation was down to the players available rather than a desire to change systems. During the qualifiers England have been playing a tweaked version of 4-3-3.

We played OK last night, but are quite clearly missing someone dynamic in midfield who has a creative spark and can link up midfield with attack. There is nothing Hodgson can really do about that as there are just not those types of players around. It is down to clubs to create more of this type of player, but we are still stuck in an age where power and strength win out over skill during player development.

Reading an article in the Guardian last week about how Germany managed to change their system in 2002, made me feel like giving up on international football as there is just no collective will to do anything similar here. There also isn't any time for an England manager to develop a team before the media gets on his back. Hodgson has to qualify for the World Cup or the media will call for him to be sacked and he will have to get out of the group or again he will call to be sacked. This is despite the fact that we don't really have a top quality striker, apart from Rooney, and are severely lacking in creativity.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Next

Return to A Question of Sport