The MMA News Thread

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Tichinde

Re: The MMA News Thread

Postby Tichinde » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:04 pm

You did see Zingano and Tate on the TuF Finale right???!!?

And Faber never brings anyone round :P
He wins lots, stays in contention and then gets fucked by whatever champion he faces :)

Really interested in tonight and next weekend though.

In other news, Shane Carwin has been spotted training :D
I could not be happier with that news, I just hope he comes back in good form.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 am

Well shit.....

Mein/Brown - Awesome
Diaz/Thomson - Awesome
Mir/Cormier - Dull

Just the main event to go.....lets see how this goes.....
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Bendo/Gil was boring too.
Started strong but then had 15 minutes of what I can only describe as technically sound sparring.

So, on to next week...... :D
Card and picks below.

Jon Jones (c) vs. Chael Sonnen - Chael has talked all the talk already but we know Jones is going to elbow him into a bloody sleep...
Michael Bisping vs. Alan Belcher - I like this. A lot. Bisping is probably faster and more technical on the feet, but Belcher hits hard is fair awesome on the floor. I pick Belcher in this (although I'd love Bisping to take it)
Roy Nelson vs. Cheick Kongo - Irritating French twat vs the only fighter to ever be sponsored by Burger King.....Knock him the fuck out Roy :D
Phil Davis vs. Vinny Magalhaes - Interesting. Vinny is an ADCC champion. Phil aint gonna want to go to the floor with him. Gonna pick Vinny via sub here.
Jim Miller vs. Pat Healy - Miller's got this. Pat is tough but I'd never bet against Jim except against the top 2 at LW.

Some stuff on the pre-lims, St. Preux is one to watch, as is Bedford. I think Khabilov is a sambo dude (he once said it was his job to throw them, how they land is their business).
Cody has got to be on his last legs the way cuts are going right now. Leonard will probably punch him into next week and out of a job.

Preliminary Card (FX)
Erik Perez vs. Johnny Bedford
Gian Villante vs. Ovince St. Preux
Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff
Rustam Khabilov vs. Yancy Medeiros

Preliminary Card (Facebook)
Leonard Garcia vs. Cody McKenzie
Nick Catone vs. James Head
Steven Siler vs. Kurt Holobaugh

Heeeeeeeey

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:00 pm

This card looks amazing on paper. Sonnen has no chance, and really shouldn't even be fighting Jones. No doubt Jones will throw him around a bit before pounding his face into the ground with some razor sharp elbows. Wouldn't mind Garcia getting the life choked out of him, one fighter I cannot stand. I remember him getting sub by the Korean Zombie, never cheered for something that looked so painful in my life. My Picks :

Jones
Belcher
Nelson
Davis
Miller

Happy to be wrong on any of those bar the main event.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48 am

You're picking "I'm going to sub the ADCC champion" Davis over over "Werdum has an armbar on me? Oh well I'll wait that out" Magalhaes?

You're mad :)

So stoked for this card now though it's insane :D

Heeeeeeeey

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am

I must be picking Diaz over GSP.

So hyped for this one too. I've been watching the build ups which I rarely do. I don't see Sonnen getting out of the first round, but it'll be a hell of a fight anyway. I don't really like Jones but he's such an amazing fighter to watch because you never know what he's going to do. Love the fighter, not a big fan of the man.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Ha! Yeah, one of those calls from you :)

On Jones, you must be one of the few......
He's always polite, well spoken, youngest champion in the sport, probably the 2nd best who's who of wins ever (last 5 all ex-champs), drinks and drives....what's not to like.... ;)
And then he elbows people half to death.

I'm not the kind of person to rate fighters as people. I stick to judging them by the entertainment they bring me.
As a result I love Sonnen :D
If you never saaw his promo's for the first Silva fight, go Youtube them.

Heeeeeeeey

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:49 am

Fight Night!!

Seriously can't wait. I'm up at 8 Sunday but I'm staying up. Nothing like watching a live event. Really hope Sonnen loses. I love the guy but can see him not shutting up about it for MONTHS. I don't think Jones will be able to keep his cool though, I think Chaels game is going to try rile him up to make a mistake. I can't see Sonnen winning any other way. Jones just beats him in every respect.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:24 am

Which is what everone said when Sonnen fought Silva and Sonnen went on to win all 5 rounds on all 3 judges score cards.

But yeah, he's gonna get fucked :D

Heeeeeeeey

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Sonnen has beat Silva? :?

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:48 pm

No, on the score cards he had the first fight with Silva won, all 10-9 rounds in Sonnen's favour.
Then he got subbed in the last 30 seconds.

In other news, one of the fights is off the facebook card.
One of the fighters was taken to hospital with dehydration after he missed weight yesterday.

Heeeeeeeey

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:38 am

Ah, I get you.

Well, that was an alright card. Nelson with his right hook, yet again. Powerful. Some nasty injuries though. Poor Belcher, hope he's alright. Jones' injury looked god awful as well.

Jones as always destroyed Sonnen. About time Sonnen was quiet and let his fighting do the talking instead of his mouth.
Bisping looked good, as he always does. Put together some very nice combos and never let up.
Nelson...how I love that man. Doesn't look like an MMA fighter but has the most powerful one KO punch in the UFC.
Davis was awesome. He got a feel for the fight very early on and never let up. Looked stacked as well.
Missed the Miller Healy fight (I fell asleep) so I have no idea how that went down.
Cody's fight was beautiful as well. Dominated. He reminds me of someone from the Deadliest Catch. Wirey, tall, but tough as nails. I'm right in thinking he was in TUF? And choked people out with an inverted guillotine?

All in all happy. Bit miffed Jones was wasted on Sonnen though. I'd rather him have fought someone in the LHW instead of the current #9 Middleweight getting a shot.

Edit:

EEEEP!

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:34 am

Healy/Miller took FoTN. It was awesome.
And the result announcement was gold :D

So dissapointed by Vinny, he never looked like he was in there to fight. Davis didn't look like he was willing to pull the trigger either. His standup looked crisp though.

Nelson did what Nelson does. The look on Congo's face as he started getting up was priceless :D

Belcher's movement was way off. I half wonder if he had ankle problems, hence the braces. Also, Bisping did that with a fucked up spine. Massive shame about the poke, I thought it looked like the inside of his lower lid was cut.
What, and indeed the fuck, was the "demon voice" between rounds during that one too???

Jones/ Sonnen went as predicted and handily shows that Jones can sit in the pocket and the clinch as well as use his range. Just another facet of the fighter called Jon Jones.

Word is Silva wants the Jones fight after that performance.......

Heeeeeeeey

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:29 pm

I think if Silva asked before this fight I wouldn't have thought Jones ready, but he's beat everyone : hard hitters, Grapplers, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestlers.

I think as long as they come at each other at a weight between the two it'll be a hell of a fight. I have to say Jones would win IMO. I think his reach, elbows and leverage would all but quiet Silva. I think Silva wins stand up, easily. It's hard to call and could go either way but whoever comes out of that fight the winner will no doubt be browned the best MMA fighter to have ever lived. Silva was there that night, so I'm not surprised he was scouting Jones. Jones has a good excuse to actually take his time now. Broken toe will take him out for a few months then he'll be on fight camp for 6 at least. Plenty of time to scout Silva and watch his fights until Jones can't take anymore. Like I said, I'd have a Jones win, but no one comes out of that fight a loser.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:58 pm

I reckon Silva's standup will be too much for him to be honest.
I'd see that being an against the cage beating for Jones to take it.

They reckon Nelson will get Cormier or Hunt next. Would love to see Hunt and Nelson go at it. That would just be....some number of rounds of two dudes winging punches at each other.
Hunt has to get by Dos Santos first though.

Still nothing about Belcher.

Looking ahead to May the 18th (20 whole days of not staying up until retard o'clock to watch fighting)..

Main Card

Belfort vs Rockhold
This is an odd one to me. It's clearly USA vs Brazil but it doesn't seem to mean anything as a main event.
It will be Rockhold's debut though.
Philippou vs Souza
Souza's last fight in Strikeforce was devastating. Good match up this one.

The rest of the main card and the pre-lims all look pretty meh to me. Lots of faces I don't recognise.
But then that usually means you've got a lot of hungry guys who want to win :)

Dos Anjos vs Dunham

Natal vs Camozzi

Prelims

Dias vs Lentz
Trinaldo vs Rio
Tibau vs Cholish
Alcantara vs Santos
Maldonado vs Hollett
Lineker vs Gashimov
Formiga vs Cariaso
Martins vs Larsen

Heeeeeeeey

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport