Formula 1 - 2018 on CH4/Sky, Page 108 Onwards

They think its all over... got cancelled.

katarn

Re: Formula 1 - 2018 on CH4/Sky, Page 108 Onwards

Postby katarn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:59 pm

It's quite a nice combination - street circuit, which means no margin for error, plus enough opportunities for brave drivers to get ahead, which means no procession. It maintains a level of tension throughout the whole race, unlike a lot of modern designed circuits.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 pm

That was....interesting! :shock:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Romain: "Ericsson hit me."

:lol:

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:30 pm

I'd like to think Grosjean's car was unsettled by an unexpected gust of wind or something, because otherwise that was just the most pathetic accident.

It seems to be a track that really invites mistakes, we don't usually see quite this many outside of practice sessions where drivers are pushing the limits. Locked wheels are really punished because of the tiny run off areas, overtakes in corners that are too narrow for it, and debris from collisions has now caused problems two years running.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:36 pm

The madness of it all. Bottas was robbed.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:41 pm

It was a crazy race and no mistake, made all the crazier by the Russian torrent of it that I grabbed by mistake. Didn't understand a word of the commentary but it had all the standard FIA graphics on-screen. Particularly amusing was the pronunciation of some of the names - it was a shame that [russian]Nyyycyyyo Hyylkyynbyyyyrg[/russian] went out so early, as I could have listened to them say his name all day.

Bottas was really unlucky, I saw him go over the carbon-fibre pieces and thought that he could regret it, and regret it he did. Vettel's attempted overtake was a moment of madness, I don't know what he was thinking. As for Verstappen, the boy needs taking behind the trailers and giving a damned good thrashing. I suppose at least he had the good grace to wipe himself out as well as Ricciardo. That accident was itching to happen throughout the entire race.

Was a good one though, really enjoying this season so far even if bloody Hamilton did get the win.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 pm

I didn't watch the race, but I see Grosjean had another mad moment. The replays do him no favours whatsoever, the stewards have given him a 3-place grid penalty next race.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 15, 2018 8:29 am

Yeah, I can't see him lasting past this season unless he starts pulling out some amazing performances. He claimed that he felt the inertia carrying him towards the centre of the track so he tried to gun it and get out of the way... except the inertia was clearly sending him off the outside and spinning his wheels up was what carried him 'round and into the centre of the track. It's a shame as I think he's a good driver when things are going his way, but these silly mistakes are really costing the team; they're sixth in the constructors at the moment but it's entirely down to Magnussen - Grosjean hasn't scored a point yet, the only other driver besides Sirotkin. The Haas is a really good car this year, and the team ought to be up there alongside Renault and Mclaren in the constructors.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Ferrari have had their funky halo wingmirrors banned. They're also having to explain to the FIA how their battery system works.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 am

By the way, the Monaco GP is live on CH4 today.

Verstappen starts from the back of the grid after crashing yesterday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:19 pm

Processional race is processional.

While I was pleased for Ricciardo, the fact that he managed to win a race with a 200bhp power deficit from lap 17 just shows what a joke of a track Monaco is. That said, nobody was really trying that hard to race up at the front - as soon as Vettel heard Ricciardo had problems he should have monstered the shit out of him - it was an approach that paid dividends for Verstappen throughout. Instead he played it safe and hung back, which made for a very dull showing for us viewers.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 28, 2018 7:38 am

On the plus side, I managed to find another 4 shrines in my Breath of the Wild playthrough while watching it. Nearly have my third stamina wheel filled now!

Yeah, Monaco, perennial worst race on the calendar. You have to wonder whether the TV crews are so bowled over by the glitz and glamour that they can't see it (the Sky F1 crew were rubbishing any tweets that suggested it was a waste of time), or whether they're just parroting the company line on the matter. Clearly it's challenging for the drivers, and I can understand why it's a mark of prestige to have won here and qualified at the front, but it isn't a race, it's a glorified Scalextric track.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 am

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that they should turn it into an individual marquee event, so it's not part of the championship. Basically they could then play around with the format a little bit over the race weekend, multiple qualies/races, time trials, switching grids around and so on.

At the very least they perhaps should only allow hard compound tyres here, so that way the drivers won't have to cruise to make a 1-stop race work. Although they might still cruise to save engine/gearbox duress I guess...

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 28, 2018 8:32 am

Oh, and a point I forgot to mention yesterday:

Lewis fucking Hamilton, god damn but he is a whiny bitch when everything is not going his way. His engineer must have the patience of a saint not to yell at him.

"Guuuuys my tyres, my tyyyyyres have graining" (said for the fifteenth time that minute)

"Will you just belt up, or would you prefer a pitstop to totally fuck your race? Everyone has the same issue, as I have told you 100 times already, not shut the fuck up and drive the fucking car you petulant little wank!"

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 am

The sole problem with Monaco is that it's practically impossible to overtake on; I don't think playing around with other aspects of the weekend would make any real difference. The car behind can be a second a lap faster and they still can't pass. Look at Verstappen; ok he was being more cautious than usual, but he still only made five overtakes in the fastest car on the grid. The only way to make Monaco a good race is to change the track, and I'm fairly sure that's not going to happen.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport