Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Nethlyn

Re: Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Judging by his free time calendar he might switch over to triathalons full-time but sad to see Button go, at least he got his one championship under the belt.

As for Bernie selling up, if it means no more annual rule changes then let's give it a chance.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:26 pm

I have really struggled to raise any enthusiasm for F1 this season and I'm even less enthused about Rosberg winning the title. He is a decent driver, but nothing more. Most the drivers at the top teams are all superior in skill to him, he just happens to be in the right car. He isn't the first driver to benefit from this though and he probably wont be the last.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:56 pm

I'll be shocked if Button doesn't have a go at punditry next year. I almost think I'd prefer to see him on-camera joking with the presenters than languishing at the low end of the points table with a car that can't reliably finish races.

And yeah, my enthusiasm started waning earlier than usual this year. Mercedes still haven't had a decent on-track duel all year, and the constant focus on just two drivers is boring. I still don't rate Rosberg among most of the other champions on the grid; he just doesn't seem to have the relentless aggression that the others (bar perhaps Button) have, and when he does show it, he does so clumsily (see Spa 2014, Austria and Malaysia this year). It's not as if Lewis has been particularly exciting to watch this year either; he either leads from the beginning or fluffs his start and spends the rest of the race complaining.

Ricciardo and Verstappen are the two drivers I've been enjoying watching in 2016. They don't have the best car, so we do at least get to see them overtaking and defending, and their brief battle around three or four turns this past weekend was thrilling stuff. It'd be nice if Daniel would stop making me feel ill by doing "shoeys" and sharing them with others on the podium - I enjoy seeing drivers actually having personalities, but can he not just find a less vile way to do it?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

The move Mercedes made to switch engineers between Rosberg and Hamilton this season makes me think they are quite happy with Rosberg winning the Championship instead of Hamilton this year. If it remains fairly close I would not be surprised to see team orders come into play at some point.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:41 pm

I hope they do give team orders in that scenario, because there is no way Hamilton will obey them and carnage will ensue. And I'm sure they'd be happy with Rosberg winning the championship because then they can boast how they have two champions driving for them.

Malaysia was a reasonable race, or eventful at least. It was a shame Verstappen didn't mount more of a challenge at the end (more team orders, despite what Red Bull say?), but his scrap with Riccardio earlier on was great. Also showed how aggressive overtakes should be attempted, as opposed to Rosberg's plonker move on Raikkonen. The C4 commentators were going on about how harsh the 10 second penalty was, but personally I think it should have been a drive through. You can't just bash into someone and claim you're being gutsy. The only reason he didn't take one or both of them out of the race was sheer dumb luck. Great to watch, though!
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 pm

I have only watched Australia this year, and have no desire to watch any more. I hate the current format, hate the domination, hate the engine sounds, hate DRS, hate hybrid engines, hate the overtake button, hate the vast majority of tracks.

Not a lot that I like tbh. A desperate shame as I always considered myself a die-hard fan.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:36 am

Snowy wrote:I have only watched Australia this year, and have no desire to watch any more. I hate the current format, hate the domination, hate the engine sounds, hate DRS, hate hybrid engines, hate the overtake button, hate the vast majority of tracks.

Not a lot that I like tbh. A desperate shame as I always considered myself a die-hard fan.

I have watched most, but I agree with pretty much all of that. In particular the majority of the current tracks. Its OK changing the technical aspects of the sport to improve racing, but if they don't ditch that idiot who designs most of the tracks, where you cant overtake, nothing will change.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:10 pm

Well held Verstappen! What a driver, what a wet race...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:30 am

Yeah, absolutely stunning drive from Verstappen. It was like he was driving on a different racetrack to everybody else. Obviously the Red Bull is good in the wet, sure, but Ricciardo who Verstappen had to pass on his way back to third, ended up 8th.

Yesterday's race went from the very depths of boredom to exhilaration. At one point they were clearly considering abandoning the race entirely, and then there were the bizarre red flags that the drivers claimed were unnecessary (and when the race resumed, the conditions were actually a little worse). It's also a while since I've been quite that scared watching an F1 race. I think 3 drivers ended up hitting a wall and then facing backwards into traffic that couldn't see them, and the pit lane entrance was blocked twice where incoming drivers couldn't see the blockage until they almost on top of it. Kimi's accident was terrifying; if his car had come to rest on the racing line, there could have been a catastrophic pileup. I winced almost every time someone passed on track.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 am

Baring a mechanical failure it looks like the title is going to Rosberg. I had a slight hope that he might come a cropper in the conditions, but he managed to avoid it. Abu Dhabi will probably be a procession with Hamilton winning as Rosberg will play it safe knowing he just needs a top three finish.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 pm

I seemed to watch the whole of the race at x6 speed.

Surprised to see so many drivers struggle with the conditions. It was interesting to see some of the drivers opting for inters whilst others were pirouetted off the track on wets, nobody really knew what the conditions where like.

I've said it before, but I thought the red flags were way overcautious. I also don't like a race starting under red flags. I understand it's to clear the standing water, but when it's still raining, it's just pointless.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:36 pm

F1 have been conservative over wet races for a few years now.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:40 pm

I will be disappointed if Hamilton doesnt get it, but I dont have a problem with Rosberg becoming champion. At the end of the day luck has been with him mechanically, and he hasnt made a mistake this season. Credit where its due.

But if those two redbulls get their skates on, who knows.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Bah....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Spoiler: show
Hamilton lost the the championship, Rosberg basically did a Villeneuve.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport