Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

Postby Raid » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Slipstreaming is still very important in F1, but it only happens on straights. It's following during cornering that's the problem, when the downforce is actually needed. Without the downforce, a car has to lean more on the tyres, causing them to overheat and degrade more quickly

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 am

Raid wrote:Slipstreaming is still very important in F1, but it only happens on straights. It's following during cornering that's the problem, when the downforce is actually needed. Without the downforce, a car has to lean more on the tyres, causing them to overheat and degrade more quickly

Makes more sense. I quite enjoy watching it with my other half but I do wish it was a bit more 'fast and loose' as it were. They just banned aero winglets in MotoGp this year (after being around for a year) so I wonder if some radical moves might be needed in F1 to shake it up a bit?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 am

arqueturus wrote:
Raid wrote:Slipstreaming is still very important in F1, but it only happens on straights. It's following during cornering that's the problem, when the downforce is actually needed. Without the downforce, a car has to lean more on the tyres, causing them to overheat and degrade more quickly

Makes more sense. I quite enjoy watching it with my other half but I do wish it was a bit more 'fast and loose' as it were. They just banned aero winglets in MotoGp this year (after being around for a year) so I wonder if some radical moves might be needed in F1 to shake it up a bit?

Slipstreaming currently only works until the car behind gets into the turbulent air caused by the car in front, at which point the aero on the following car stops working as well and the advantage is lost and the following car starts running hotter as everything starts working harder to achieve the same ends. This often explains how drivers close up on the car in front but then get stuck and end off dropping back as their tyres bake. A lot of people have suggested under-car aero as a solution, including Ross Brawn and Martin Brundle. With Brawn coming into the sport as one of the uber-bosses it is conceivable that we will see a step-change in car design to accommodate it.

If the turbulence were removed, you could drop both the DRS and the KERS systems and have a driver that gets close to the guy in front get into their slipstream and slingshot past them unassisted. It would lead to a lot of pass and counterpass like you used to see.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 am

Snowy wrote:Slipstreaming currently only works until the car behind gets into the turbulent air caused by the car in front, at which point the aero on the following car stops working as well and the advantage is lost and the following car starts running hotter as everything starts working harder to achieve the same ends. This often explains how drivers close up on the car in front but then get stuck and end off dropping back as their tyres bake.

Aero is basically meaningless on a straight, in fact it hinders the car's top speed as it only serves to cause drag (hence the drag reduction system where they ditch a huge amount of aero capability to make the car go faster). Turbulent air has little effect on a straight, it's the fact that the following car is running in the car ahead's exhaust that causes the overheating problems. The tyres bake when they're required to take more of the car's energy to maintain speed through a corner, because the car's aero can't provide the required downforce due to turbulent air from following another car closely.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

Sauber are the first to properly reveal their new car. It's a great livery.

The shark fin looks to be making a comeback. Interesting airbox design too.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/20/p ... -2017-car/

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Should be some interesting liveries this year, I read that McLaren might be going back to their orange one.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 pm

With Ron Dennis out of the way, it''ll be interesting to see if McLaren's attitudes change. Seemingly Ron was largely responsible for the dreary liveries they've had for the last few years.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Raid wrote:With Ron Dennis out of the way, it''ll be interesting to see if McLaren's attitudes change. Seemingly Ron was largely responsible for the dreary liveries they've had for the last few years.

Courtesy of Sniff Petrol, this made me chuckle:

Sniff Petrol wrote:With confirmation this week that Jost Capito has been ousted from his role at McLaren, new boss Zak Brown continues in his quest turn around the ailing F1 team with a programme known as ‘de-Ronning’.

Brown’s other measures to ‘de-Ron’ the team are said to include a policy of leaving some battered old shoes and a pile of dirty laundry by the door in the reception area, just next to the very worn chairs and a wonky table bearing some old magazines, many of which are missing the cover and are not in chronological order.

‘Since Zak took over, the menu in the staff canteen has changed too,’ admitted one insider. ‘Now, the only things they serve are croissants, jam doughnuts and Cadbury’s Flakes. And we have to eat them at our desks. Without using a plate.’

Another source reveals that staff are now encouraged to ‘leave fingerprints’, ‘spill things’ and ‘accidentally walk dog shit’ into the factory.

The final part of Brown’s ‘de-Ron’ policy is a strict instruction for all team personnel to use one word to describe something instead of five, one of which isn’t really a word, and a radical new plan to stop torturing Fernando Alonso with a terrible F1 car.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Sniff Petrol wrote:‘Since Zak took over, the menu in the staff canteen has changed too,’ admitted one insider. ‘Now, the only things they serve are croissants, jam doughnuts and Cadbury’s Flakes. And we have to eat them at our desks. Without using a plate.’

:lol:

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Today we have the Renault: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/21/p ... aks-cover/

Another good looking car, but it's another livery covered in black. I know it helps to make sponsor logos show up better, but their title sponsor is Infiniti right? The last car they sponsored was purple and yellow.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Can't link pics at the moment but err... The Force India? What happened there?

The new merc looks good and have a a look at the T on the back. Might be a source of protest at some point.

McLaren and Ferrari tomorrow. McLaren are likely to have an orange and white livery.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Mercedes have shown off their car.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Raid wrote:Today we have the Renault: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/21/p ... aks-cover/

Another good looking car, but it's another livery covered in black. I know it helps to make sponsor logos show up better, but their title sponsor is Infiniti right? The last car they sponsored was purple and yellow.

That link also has the Renault from ten years ago, it really shows how much the cars have changed. The old car has weird proportions that make it look like a toy.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:08 am

I don't think it helps that by that point, every car was covered in those bizarre looking aero parts that ruined any semblance of clean lines.

The new Ferrari is up: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/24/p ... -revealed/

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 am

New McLaren is up too. Spoiler: Orange.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/24/p ... 7wcaapvtl/

It looks great, though many have pointed out it's very reminiscent of Virgin's 2010 livery. Here's hoping for regular top 6 finishes eh?

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport