Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

Postby Raid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 pm

So, err, Rosberg has retired from F1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185846

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Did not see that coming!

I can understand why - I'd be surprised if he can muster another championship win. This is going to cause some kerfuffles in terms of drivers shifting around. Verstappen as Merc champion in 2017?
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Wow, that's a shock. But credit to him for making the decision. To walk away with all that expectation takes guts. He achieved his dream and he is happy with that. Good luck to him.

Wonder who they will get to take his seat for next season. Lets face it, contracts mean nothing, if a Mercedes drive is available. :-k
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm not sure who's tied into what contracts now, but I guess if Mercedes throw enough money around then they can have whoever they want. If we're going on pure driving talent then Alonso would be a clear choice, except for his history with Hamilton, and Verstappen is the obvious new goldenboy. They may want to opt for another German driver, in which case they could try and coax Vettel away from Ferrari's claws or take a punt on Hulkenberg, which personally I think would be a well-deserved promotion for an often overlooked driver. Or there's the possibility of new blood. I do wonder if they'll go for someone who is unlikely to challenge Hamilton too much so that they don't piss him off.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:06 pm

I bet Alonso has a break clause in his McLaren contract, and he might jump at the chance depending on how he felt going up against Hamilton again.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:39 pm

I respect Rosberg's decision, though I'm very much surprised by it. I would have preferred he stayed for at least one more year at Mercedes, because now I think there'll always be question marks over whether he could actually beat the rest of the field in a fair fight. He had easily the best car, and his only real rival had more mechanical issues over the course of his championship season. Now I'm not saying that Lewis would have been champion if not for Malaysia, but there's a lingering doubt in my mind as to whether Rosberg deserved to win. I had the same thoughts about Vettel when he was at Red Bull.

It's been a bad year for the sport; another dominant Mercedes, other former champions pootling around in lacklustre cars, a Red Bull that's still not quite good enough to win regularly, It's not all been gloom, at least we've seen the rise of Verstappen and a bit of a comeback for Raikkonen, but it seems to have been a year consisting largely of moaning about one thing or another. Remember that dreadful qualifying system we started the year with? Vettel's constant moaning about other drivers and blue flags. Everyone moaning about Verstappen's aggression, justified or not. But the thing that's bothered me the most is the absolutely incessant coverage of Rosberg and Hamilton's relationship and "what's really going on at Mercedes". We've probably skipped half of the buildup shows this year, just because the coverage was practically identical for every race, at least on Sky.

I'm hoping the new rules balance the field a little more for 2017. We need some unpredictability back in the sport. I don't want to see Mercedes replace Rosberg with someone substantially worse than Hamilton and end up with a dead cert for the championship if the Merc is the class of the field again. I think the fact that there's been half as much discussion here this year as there was last is telling as to people's waning interest.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm

I must confess, my perception of the sport has shifted. It's not just the one-team dominance though. It's the homogenization/lack of raciness of the new tracks, the gradual loss of great circuits and the general sense of things becoming more and more risk-free. Terrible tyres have also played too big a part in recent years. Too much drifting and engine saving. Etc. I don't want F1 racers managing races like they're playing a strategy game, I want them going hell for leather.

It needs a shot in the arm. It's drifting away from me, and I think a lot of established fans too.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Rosberg knows he wouldn't win again. I think Wehrlein will get his seat, he has been under Merc's wing for a while and dropping a rookie into a fast car is all the rage now.

Red Bull 2017 though.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:10 pm

They need another top driver. Having only one recognised race winner will put their constructors championship in jeopardy. Having Nico & Lewis in the team is why they dominated so much.

I dont see it being mad max, as Red Bull would never let the 'boy wonder' go. I would guess Vettel would be number 1 target. But there are a few very good drivers who could fit the bill.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Sounds like Silverstone is at risk again.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ting-costs

Also Manor have gone bankrupt.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

There have been vailed threats towards Silverstone for a long time now. The quicker Bernie the bolt fucks off the better. Frankly, I don't trust the man or his motives. Having been to Silverstone several time to watch endurance racing, its a great track. Plus, every British GP is sold out. It has to stay. F1 wouldn't be F1 without Silverstone.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 am

gpa-gone-west wrote:F1 wouldn't be F1 without Silverstone.

F1 hasn't been F1 for quite a few years now. If you told me 10 years ago I would stop watching F1 I would have laughed in your face, but I watched one race last year and after that barely even followed the results.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 pm

I used to watch it in 80 and 90s but not since mid 90s.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:39 am

Up to and including 2000 it was fantastic - Schumacher vs Hill/Villeneuve/Hakkinen were mesmerising battles - that overtake at Spa by Hakkinen on Schuey on a drying track, bracketing Ricardo Zonta in the BAR, is probably my favourite move of all time, even if it was on a Ferrari...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 am

Bottas has been confirmed as a Mercedes driver with Massa coming out of retirement to replace him at Williams.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport