Europe: Champions League/Europa League 12/13

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Nethlyn

Re: Europe: Champions League/Europa League 12/13

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:11 pm

All worked out in the end though, right? Must have been a rollercoaster to watch live.

Considering there was next to nothing in it as they stayed 1st and 2nd in the group, that was an excellent end-to-end match between Anji and Spurs last night and I ended up glued to it to make up for the Swansea borefest in the fog where nobody could get a ball up to Shelvey at all.

Wigan are out but I'm sure they're happy they can concentrate on the Championship and the Prem teams get two months off as well.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:30 am

Bit weird that Pellegrini didn't realise that with one more goal they'd have won the group...
My face is tired.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 pm

We still went tor it though. Negredo had a one-on-one saved. If he had scored it and went all-out-attack and conceded, I may be mad. But nah. :D
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:00 pm

I quite enjoyed that. Shame about the last goal, but the performance was good overall. I think the difference was - apart from it being BARCELONA - was the clinical finishing. We limited them to a couple of half chances and if DeMichelles hadn't been a mentalist and just let the dude score, we would've got something out of that.

Please, someone take Dzeko. -_-
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Wolfy wrote:I quite enjoyed that. Shame about the last goal, but the performance was good overall. I think the difference was - apart from it being BARCELONA - was the clinical finishing. We limited them to a couple of half chances and if DeMichelles hadn't been a mentalist and just let the dude score, we would've got something out of that.

Please, someone take Dzeko. -_-

Yeah I never know why defenders nearly always take the player out when they know they are going to be sent off. I guess he just thought he could get the ball. I thought Kompany's moan after the match was rather funny. You would think the guy had never played in the Champions League before, everybody knows that refs blow for more stuff in the Champions League.

Overall I think Barcalona showed City a lot of respect and even after they scored the first goal they were far too passive and looked like they were happy to go home with the 1-0. At times it seemed like Alves was the only player willing to attack. They certainly don't look like the world beaters they used to under Guardiola, despite the masses of possession they barely troubled Hart and City were hardly ever called on to do some last ditch defending. If it had remained at 1-0 I would have given City a chance at the Camp Nou.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:39 am

Finally Spurs discovered some fight when down in the second half instead of folding. If they can do it in the Prem now I'd be even happier.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 am

A valiant effort last night, but 2-0 from the first leg was just too big a hill to climb, especially with so many first choice players injured. It seems we have a certain problem with the CL right now. Invariably we mess up the groups stages which means we finish second so draw a harder team in the last 16 and then for the last three years we have played badly in the first leg and left ourselves too much to do for the second. At least there will be nothing to distract us from the FA Cup now.

The one major downside last night was the injury to Ozil's hamstring so he joins the lengthy injury list. Some of the criticism he is getting in the papers today for his performance last night is unreal especially as he was playing in an unfamiliar role and position and was carrying the injury from the 20th minute. Also you have journalists saying he is a passenger and a waste of space, but at the same time that his injury is a hammer blow to our title chances. Yeah ok.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Sadly that looks like the end of the fight after less than a half with Benfica adding another one to their 3 on aggregate, it's just match practice for whichever Spurs kids aren't on loan and we'll just have to hope that serves them well for next season if they can get a game.

[EDIT] OK I was proved wrong with the fightback in the second half, sadly ran out of time to get the last goal that would've extended the match into more extra time and potential penalities and the concessions to Benfica let them finish the match. Still, free and clear in the Premiership.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:22 am

CL quarter-final draw...

Manchester United v Bayern Munich

Paris St-Germain v Chelsea

Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund

Barcelona v Atletico Madrid

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 am

Chelsea could squeak past PSG, especially with the second leg at Stamford Bridge. From a Liverpool point of view, ie giving them more games to play, that actually suits us best.

United are fucked though.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 am

In pickle? In a pickle ffs!

-_-
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 am

Man City and PSG are facing fines of £50m and restrictions on their squad for next years Champions League after breaching the FFP rules. The size of the restriction could be anywhere between 18 and 21. There could also be the imposition of a wage cap on the club to prevent a rise of the squads wages for next season.

The clubs have until Friday to agree a settlement with UEFA over their punishment. If they fail to come to an agreement then the case will go to a adjudication panel where the punishment is non-negotiable. They could then try to seek a final appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 pm

I hear City are gonna reject it and go down the European law bollocks route.

I'm genuinely not that arsed at the moment. Maybe after the weekend I might be. ¬_¬
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 pm

The reduction in squad size will be pretty big as 7 of those still have to be 'home grown' players.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport