FOOTBALL.

They think its all over... got cancelled.


User avatar
Wrathbone
 
Posts: 4172
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:41 pm
Location: Back in Lancaster, NOT THE HOME OF HARIBO!

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:24 am

Raid wrote:Meh. I think everyone knows that, but I don't think pointing it out is going to win you any friends.


Believing England is going to win the world cup is not going to win England any world cups.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13688
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:46 am

Even though they've not really impressed, I feel like Brazil are going to walk to the trophy. That said, Uruguay or France should be a big test for them in the SF.

But that aside, it may be a long time before England get another chance as good as this, the way their side of the draw has opened up and most of the big guns have already been eliminated. There is no-one they should fear in the run-up to a potential final, although I can't help but feel Sweden will knock us out. They're pretty solid defensively and our attack is pretty toothless.

But if they get past the Swedes I could see them reaching the final.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 27039
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Mantis » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:53 am

Their performance against Colombia yesterday was pretty uninspiring. The only reason they scored was thanks to the dirty play that bagged them that penalty, the rest of the time they were struggling to pull off any convincing looking shots.

Interesting match to watch just for how brutal it was, but other than that it was kind of uneventful.

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
 
Posts: 24513
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am

We have a big problem creating anything through midfield, there is a big gap between defence and attack and I'm not sure we have the players to solve it. Ali doesn't look fit, Lingard is too up and down and Henderson too limited. We look well organised though and very dangerous from setplays as we have some great deliverers of the ball. I don't think we have anything to fear from Sweden and possibly the confidence of winning our first knock-out game since 2002 will help the players to play a bit more, like they did in the first half against Tunisia.

I disagree about Brazil, they are not impressive in the traditional way Brazil usually are because this team play very much like a European team. Nobody has looked like beating them and they have the class of Neymar and Coutinho who will always create something. Of all the teams left in the competition they are the only one without any flaws.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

User avatar
Achtung Englander
 
Posts: 7400
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:29 am
Location: Dodi dodi di-do

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am

too right. As said here, just because it happened in the past does not mean it will happen in the future. For years I though we would never get a British tennis champion until Murray came along.

I think we are pretty good in attacking, we just need to get our defence a bit tighter without losing the impetus to break and attack.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13688
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:We have a big problem creating anything through midfield, there is a big gap between defence and attack and I'm not sure we have the players to solve it. Ali doesn't look fit, Lingard is too up and down and Henderson too limited. We look well organised though and very dangerous from setplays as we have some great deliverers of the ball. I don't think we have anything to fear from Sweden and possibly the confidence of winning our first knock-out game since 2002 will help the players to play a bit more, like they did in the first half against Tunisia.

I disagree about Brazil, they are not impressive in the traditional way Brazil usually are because this team play very much like a European team. Nobody has looked like beating them and they have the class of Neymar and Coutinho who will always create something. Of all the teams left in the competition they are the only one without any flaws.


I'm not sure how that's disagreeing with me tbf. :?
My face is tired.

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
 
Posts: 24513
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Maybe doesn't come across properly, but I'm saying I think they are really impressive, just in a different way what you would expect.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13688
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:57 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Maybe doesn't come across properly, but I'm saying I think they are really impressive, just in a different way what you would expect.


I think they've certainly been the strongest team overall, but would say they've been solid but unspectacular. But then while some matches have been entertaining in terms of drama, scores and upsets, I don't think the quality has been amazing anywhere really. I look at the other teams still in it and don't see any that Brazil can't beat which is why I think they'll win it, though if France progress that should be the closest.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Medicine Man
 
Posts: 10604
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: Under the stairs

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Wrathbone wrote:You’d think after 52 years of defeat people would realise England are not very good at winning the World Cup. :lol: It’s about the only thing I do know about football.

Spoiler: show
Image


Raid wrote:Meh. I think everyone knows that, but I don't think pointing it out is going to win you any friends.


Au contraire :P

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13688
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Another upset (though this crop of Belgians is very good). This tournament is absolutely anyone's now, none of the remaining teams is miles and away better than the others (maybe Russia, but home advantage seems to be working for them).
My face is tired.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 25228
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Raid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:08 pm

I trust Russia so little these days that I just assume the whole team has been doped. Home advantage? Yeah, they know *all* the local testing labs.

User avatar
Achtung Englander
 
Posts: 7400
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:29 am
Location: Dodi dodi di-do

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 pm

I don't think doping improves football skills
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13688
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Really assured performance by England, and Pickford played the game of his life to keep the clean sheet.

I wasn't following football in 1990 so this is the first time I've seen England reach the WC semis. Belgium or France would be a big test, but they really could do this with a bit of luck and a strong following wind...
My face is tired.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Really assured performance by England, and Pickford played the game of his life to keep the clean sheet.

I wasn't following football in 1990 so this is the first time I've seen England reach the WC semis. Belgium or France would be a big test, but they really could do this with a bit of luck and a strong following wind...


A very un-english straightforward game for England. Whoever we get to play, I will not count my chickens yet. I remember 1990 (and 1996) all too clearly.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

User avatar
Medicine Man
 
Posts: 10604
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: Under the stairs

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm

I quite enjoyed 1994. :P

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests