Euro 2012

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Euro 2012

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 pm

This is becoming a mauling.
My face is tired.

Zael

Postby Zael » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:29 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote: I don't think it was a case of Portugal outplaying the Czechs in the middle of the park, the Czechs just sacrificed possession.

I think your being harsh here. In the game Veloso made 5 successful tackles (no Czech player reached 5 tackles) and 2 successful interceptions, Moutinho made 3 tackles and 3 interceptions (Miereles was admittedly poor in this department with only one tackle and no interceptions but the way the formations lined up, he was given a lot of space to move forward and so was probably their most offensive minded midfielder, which is backed in the stats because he tops the key passes bracket). Compare that to Portugal's CBs who made 0 tackles and only 1 interception each and Czech Republic's who made 2 tackles each and no interceptions, everyone else for Portugal barring Postiga(3) and Coentrao(5) made less than 2 tackles and barely anyone made any interceptions, certainly not touching the numbers of Veloso and Moutinho. So they did actually do a job in midfield. The three midfielders were also the most involved with 79,85 and 91 touches each (Ronaldo had 57), and they topped the number of passes with 66,65 and 70 (next closest was Pepe with 63). So I think it's a bit unfair to say the midfield trio didn't outplay them, because they were clearly heavily involved in the game looking at the stats.

Also a glimmer of hope for you English. Didi Hamann is doing punditry for the Irish broadcast and he reckons England will beat Italy and said "If they don't beat Germany in the semi-finals, they never will. England have finally picked a team rather than a group of talented players."
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Very underwhelming england and now its well into injury time. Ol Roy beter have his penno strategy ready i think.

EDIT: flippin eck just read that Italy have had 30 attempts on goal compared to englands 9 with 60 odd percent possession - very poor really.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:18 pm

England have a strong defence that has saved us tonight. Roonie just isn't on it, and Young had a poor first half especially. I don't fancy Germany even if we kick these in now. :?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Bottled it!
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm

England you shitbags. :lol:

As expected tbh tho.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Painful stuff. But they've done well to get this far.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:37 pm

I felt quite indifferent about the shootout after the second half display. On a different day Italy would have won the game 2 or 3 nil anyway. It would have been a travesty for us to go through.

Quarter Finals is about our level when you look at our paucity of quality midfielders/strikers (apart from Rooney) at the moment - you could even argue we've done well to get here. Pirlo was just on another level to any of our guys in the centre. Ashley Young had a poor tournament. Gerrard looked utterly shagged out again after 45mins, Parker the same.

But, England were more solid than the World Cup in 2010 under Cappello and looked hard to beat. I'm not too unhappy with them actually. They fought well. When we'll actually see an England team play well again at a major tournament I don't know..where are the up and coming creative players?

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Playing for other countries earning their millions in the premiership mate.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I thought England as you said K were pretty damn solid during the first half. But they utterly fell apart during the second. Rooney remained unimpressive constantly lounging around waiting for easy headers and his scissor kick while rather surprising was never going to go in the net, he's still very much a shadow of his former self new hair and all.

Joe Hart was severely disappointing during the penalties and even his stare out attempts couldn't stop him getting all wrong. There was a glimpse of an England team we could almost be proud of at certain moments but alas it was gone before we could even begin to truly appreciate it.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Zael

Postby Zael » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah I think that's a reasonable way to look at it, Katarn. For the first time in a long time, England went into a tournament with reasonable expectations, and they lived up to them. They did well to top their group and managed to create some entertaining games. They were outclassed today, but I don't think that's because they let anyone down, they just simply didn't have the players to compete.

Hodgeson can leave this tournament with his head held high, I think. He's taken a pretty poor team, riddled with problems and managed a quarter final exit on penalties. I think England are also becoming more aware of their lack of proper midfielders who can hold up play, deliver constantly accurate passes and generally link up with the attack. They were unlucky not to have Wilshire who does all that, and Chamberlain looks pretty good in the centre of midfield.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:09 pm

In getting out of the group they did better than I thought they would.

Don't expect major improvements in the coming months and years, though, chaps. This was a classic Hodgson team with everything that entails, personnel may change a bit but the strategy won't.
My face is tired.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Prey wrote:Joe Hart was severely disappointing during the penalties and even his stare out attempts couldn't stop him getting all wrong.

Haha, what? :lol:

Penalties are a lottery, mate. You just got to hope that you dive the right way and save it or they miss. The psyche-out attempts were piss-funny.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Sly Boots wrote:This was a classic Hodgson team with everything that entails, personnel may change a bit but the strategy won't.

What other strategy could England have with the creative players at their disposal? Also, why is it only a Hodgson problem when the same issues were there under Cappello?

The same players are making the same fundamental mistakes it seems to me. I'm genuinely interested in what a different manager could have done when the players are struggling with things such as ball control and passing, especially when under pressure.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Wolfy wrote:
Prey wrote:Joe Hart was severely disappointing during the penalties and even his stare out attempts couldn't stop him getting all wrong.

Haha, what? :lol:

Penalties are a lottery, mate. You just got to hope that you dive the right way and save it or they miss. The psyche-out attempts were piss-funny.

I reckon there is some technique/strategy that a keeper can follow. Hart seemed to lack anticipation and dived too early.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport