Euro 2012

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Euro 2012

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 pm

England have been about as entertaining as I'd feared, but to be fair they're picking up results and I suspect most people are satisfied with that. Never expected them to top the group.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Bad luck Ukraine. Easily the better team aside from the somewhat at times dodgy goaly.

Zael

Postby Zael » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:50 pm

It'll be funny to see tradition turned on its head in the quarter finals. You'll have Italy playing attacking football, and England being generally defensive and cautious.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 am

As an Arsenal fan I've seen enough entertaining failure to last me a lifetime so I'll take a team that can grind out results. Yes we are not flashy and at times too conservative, but we topped the group and despite being outplayed at times last night Ukraine didn't create an awful lot and we had the better chances. As for the goal that wasn't, it should have been given as offside long before anyway, so Ukraine can have no complaints really.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Ronaldo's an amazing trump card for Portugal. With him in form they could go all the way.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25 am

katarn wrote:Ronaldo's an amazing trump card for Portugal. With him in form they could go all the way.

Hmm I don't know. The Czechs didn't really offer anything going forward last night and I feel that the centre of Portugal's midfield along with their goalkeeper is pretty weak. I expect either France or Spain to beat them relatively easily.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am

Going on their team as a whole I agree - but they do know how to keep it tight. And Ronaldo only has to do a bit of Ronaldo magic to get a goal. Potential for a 1-0 victory against anyone I feel.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am

They're basically a solid defence + Ronaldo. How far they go really depends on the quality of the forwards they're up against, and how Ronaldo performs on the day.
My face is tired.

Zael

Postby Zael » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:56 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I feel that the centre of Portugal's midfield along with their goalkeeper is pretty weak. I expect either France or Spain to beat them relatively easily.

Really? I thought Portugal's midfield were pretty great last night. They absolutely dominated the Czechs. After the game had settled (about 20 mins) Meireles, Moutinho and Veloso stamped literally everything out. The Czechs would clear their lines and Portugal would win the midfield battle within seconds. The only joy the Czechs has was going down the flanks, and even that was dealt easily by the defence. Jiracek, Darida and Pilar have all been potent attacking threats throughout their group stage, but they were rendered impotent by the Portugal midfield.

Granted they didn't offer much going forwards, but it was Moutinho who set up the goal.

Updates every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Moutinho yes, Veloso and Meireles I thought were poor.

Zael

Postby Zael » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:34 pm

But they practically rendered the Czech attack null and void.

Updates every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Blank Czechs?
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Zael wrote:But they practically rendered the Czech attack null and void.

The paucity of the Czech attack had very little to do with Portugal's defending and everything to do with them sitting back and trying to keep it tight. There was no real attacking to nullify.

Zael

Postby Zael » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Blank Czechs?

:lol:

Also DJ. The Czechs sat back yeah, but they still played four attacking players with Plasil, Jiracek, Darida and Baros. All of those players barely touched the ball because every time the Czechs were in possession they were overrun in midfield. They didn't have 62% of possession simply because the Czechs didn't want the ball.

Updates every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Zael wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Blank Czechs?

:lol:

Also DJ. The Czechs sat back yeah, but they still played four attacking players with Plasil, Jiracek, Darida and Baros. All of those players barely touched the ball because every time the Czechs were in possession they were overrun in midfield. They didn't have 62% of possession simply because the Czechs didn't want the ball.

They may have played attacking players, but they hardly made an attempt to get out of their half, until they went behind, and when they did they gave the ball away rather than the Portuguese blanketing them. I don't think it was a case of Portugal outplaying the Czechs in the middle of the park, the Czechs just sacrificed possession.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport