Premiership and Championship footy 2011/12

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Zael

Re: Premiership and Championship footy 2011/12

Postby Zael » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Hard to know what to do if you were in Henry's shoes. It's clear Liverpool need another big budget this summer to put together a team, but after the amount he gave Dalglish last summer which was mostly squandered, can he really justify doing it again?
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:13 pm

I don't really know what needs to happen, or even what I want to happen at this stage. I don't want to say that Kenny needs to go, but I also can't really think of a compelling reason for him to stay. It's probably not as bad as it feels right now, but it doesn't feel like there's many positives either.
Last edited by Sly Boots on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Whoa, just seen the Crouch goal! :shock: :o

Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Yeah it was pretty stunning. Unbelievable tekkers!

Updates every Wednesday.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Bastard! Why'd it have to be against us!?
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Stiliyan Petrov diagnosed with acute leukaemia. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17566188

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Quite shocking that. I was just at the City Stadium having a look in the club shop and they had Sky Sports News on the mahoosive screens outside showing the yellow breaking news scroll. Poor sod. I always thought leukemia was a death-sentence, so *acute* must be even worse. Any doctors?
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Acute is the milder form and can be cured, it's chronic which is usually fatal.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Cisse has been a great signing. Another 3 points. :)

God I hope we keep hold of Ben Arfa next season.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Newcastle keep picking up these clinical strikers for next to nothing. Do we actually have any scouts?
My face is tired.

RCHD

Postby RCHD » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Acute is the milder form and can be cured, it's chronic which is usually fatal.

No, not really.

There are loads of types of Leukaemia, and it's only roughly divided into Acute and Chronic. Of the Chronic Leukaemias, the most common (CML) is actually very benign and given that it affects the very elderly you tend to die of other things far before the Leukaemia. The Acute Leukaemias are more traditionally thought of as affecting young people. They've very varied - some have very good survival rates, especially in children. 30 is actually a fairly strange age to be diagnosed with Leukaemia, but, even without knowing more, I would be cautiously optimistic about his chances of a remission. You're somewhat right in saying that it can be cured. You generally don't cure chronic leukaemia, but you control it. It's a considerably milder disease process than acute leukaemia though. Acute leukaemias have decent remission rates, much moreso in children, but also a decent potential for relapse.

Sly Boots wrote:Newcastle keep picking up these clinical strikers for next to nothing. Do we actually have any scouts?

We owe such a debt to our chief scout Graham Carr - he's awesome. Good thing he is clearly so keen to travel the world finding great players, and avoid his rather annoying son Alan.
Last edited by RCHD on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zael

Postby Zael » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:25 pm

I thought Acute just meant a quick onset.

Updates every Wednesday.

RCHD

Postby RCHD » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Sort of, but it tends to mean more than that. Generally acute conditions have faster onsets because they are very different in nature to chronic diseases, they may have a rapid progression and cause symptoms much earlier because they are more aggressive.

Taking Leukaemia as the example here: Acute Leukaemias are a disease of immature cells of the bone marrow, such as blast cells. They are much more rapid onset and if untreated would kill quickly because the immature cells have much more capacity for rapid growth, which therefore makes a more aggressive condition. Chronic leukaemia is a disease of mature looking cells of the bone marrow, which are more stable and slow-growing. They are very insidious in their presentation and may go on for years before diagnosed. It is often diagnosed incidentally when looking for other diseases. Survival is invariably measured in years, not months. It's a milder form. It's not as simple as thinking of it as the same disease just presenting in a faster or slower fashion - there's a massive difference between acute and chronic leukaemia, and the different subtypes themselves.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:03 am

Typical Arsenal, can't keep focused for long periods of time, I just knew we would slip up eventually. I don't know why Wenger can't keep the team focused, but as long as this kind of thing keeps happening we will never challenge for anything.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Zael

Postby Zael » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am

RCHD wrote:Sort of, but it tends to mean more than that. Generally acute conditions have faster onsets because they are very different in nature to chronic diseases, they may have a rapid progression and cause symptoms much earlier because they are more aggressive.

Taking Leukaemia as the example here: Acute Leukaemias are a disease of immature cells of the bone marrow, such as blast cells. They are much more rapid onset and if untreated would kill quickly because the immature cells have much more capacity for rapid growth, which therefore makes a more aggressive condition. Chronic leukaemia is a disease of mature looking cells of the bone marrow, which are more stable and slow-growing. They are very insidious in their presentation and may go on for years before diagnosed. It is often diagnosed incidentally when looking for other diseases. Survival is invariably measured in years, not months. It's a milder form. It's not as simple as thinking of it as the same disease just presenting in a faster or slower fashion - there's a massive difference between acute and chronic leukaemia, and the different subtypes themselves.

Aha cool, good to know. Thanks.

Updates every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport