EPL table predictions 2011/12

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Sly Boots
MILF

EPL table predictions 2011/12

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Thought it might be interesting to predict the final table for next season, then at the end compare them and see who came closest.

Anyone else interested?

My attempt:

1 Chelsea
2 Man Utd
3 Liverpool
4 Man City
5 Arsenal
6 Spurs
7 Everton
8 Fulham
9 Sunderland
10 Bolton
11 Stoke
12 Newcastle
13 West Brom
14 Wolves
15 Aston Villa
16 Blackburn
17 Norwich
18 Wigan
19 QPR
20 Swansea

Struggled a bit with the bottom of the table - I think any of the eight I have there are realistic contenders to go down - not terribly convinced by any of the promoted teams but Norwich look like a decent, attacking outfit and this could be the year Wigan run out of luck. I think Villa will be around the bottom places for most of the year, but McLeish's uber-defensiveness should see them safe.

As Spurs found, CL is a massive commitment for a team not used to it, which is why I've got us, with only really the league to focus on, moving ahead of City. Hopefully the EL will be a similar drain on Spurs.

In truth, I think Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City will all finish within a few points of each other, so really my prediction is 10% logic, 90% optimism. It could make a difference who Arsenal sign with Nasri, Clichy and Cesc money... but if they hang onto two players who want to leave, could be very detrimental.

United will be stronger for the players they're recruited and are looking to recruit, imo, but I really think AVB will make Chelsea the team to beat.

Fulham will have a good season under Jol, Sunderland's squad is looking stronger, Everton always do pretty well, and the likes of Stoke, Newcastle, Bolton and West Brom will all be safely midtable.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:53 pm

I have literally no idea this year. Barring Spurs, who have definitely hit their own glass ceiling, I can see any of last year's top six taking the title. Arsenal being the least likely due to Wenger's stubbornness. AVB is unproven and needs to make signings because that squad looks older and weaker than ever ATM. ferg will make utd contenders obviously, but I'm not sure they'll repeat last years stubbornness where they pretty much won the title by defaul. Liverpool's new signings bed in well and the squad repeats last season's form under Kenny and CL qual is a minimum expectation, and they'll challenge.

Frankly I make Man City my favourites. Tevez will be a huge loss, but they'll replace him, and the rest of the squad is in place. They'll crack the top 2 this year.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Not too worried about City while they're still managed by Mancini, and if they lose the player who scores the bulk of their goals, and have a squad full of players who no longer want to be there, and have the added pressure of a title challenge AND the CL.... could all add up to a difficult year for them.

Feet

Postby Feet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm pretty confident the top three will go,

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd

And the 4 to 6 could possibly look something like this, dependant very much on the ines and outs that still have to occur.

4. Arsenal
5. Spuds
6. Liverpool

I know, I know. I'm an Arsenal fan - and as much as I try not to - I do have a bias. However I believe Wenger will keep hold of Nasri (who will go on a free next year, probably to Real Madrid) and even if we sell Cesc this summer (and I'm not totally confident that Barca will reach the threshold Arsenal will sell at) I believe in Ramsey and Wilshere and I reckon he'll bring in another big player with the cash if Barca do buy Cesc. I think you'd all be fools to write Arsenal off again for a top four finish for the fourth season running. I believe this despite the horrify capitulation of the last 3 months of season just gone.

Spuds will do fine if they keep hold of Modric, they'll fight for the fourth spot again. If he goes to Chelsea then I fear for them even getting a top 6 finish. It's not like when Arsenal sold Adebayor to City, we knew they were getting a temperamental shit. Modric is actually a player, and they've only got one other one of those in VdV.

Otherwise I reckon Liverpool have over spent for the talent they've got, but I freely admit that Kenny's atleast got a strategy, he's built his new side around Carrol. He's not exactly a Drogba, Henry or a Tevez or even a Shearer though is he? Can't see them consistently getting results.

No idea beyond that, anything could happen really.
I still love you.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm

1 Chelsea
2 Man Utd
3 Man City
4 Liverpool

17 Wolves
18 Wigan
19 Blackburn
20 Swansea

Is how I see it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Deffo think Rovers are in with a good shout of going down. I posted my table just before the owners announced that despite the sales of Jones and probably Samba, they still have to sell before they can bring players in.

@ Feet - I'm honestly concerned about Carroll. Nothing I've seen from him suggests that he's got what it takes to be a decent player for us, never mind justifying that £35m fee. Everyone seems to be saying he's still coming back from injury, but I just don't know. Looks lumpen and unfit with terrible touch and for a big man can't get a header on target. Thank christ for Suarez.

Feet

Postby Feet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Suarez is the man Liverpool should build the team around, but Kenny's gone for out and out wingers to supplement Carrol which means he's looking at the big lump up top to do the work. Headers, holding up the ball and knock downs. Suarez is somewhat wasted in that system though I guess he can go for the knock downs. All very route one, banging long balls and crosses up. Hence why I think you're least likely of the contenders to get in the top four.
I still love you.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 pm

My table was obviously drawn up from a biased point of view, but I do predict we're going to surprise a few people this coming season. With only the league to concentrate on the demands on our squad over the course of the year will be considerably less than the teams in European competition - which in my opinion at least killed off Spurs' top 4 challenge last time.

Bar Chelsea and United, I think it's going to be very tight towards the top of the table, and at the very least should be interesting!

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Unless Chelsea really fire under the new manager, I'm thinking it'll be Man Utd again.

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man City

I reckon Arsenal will have a better season than last. Don't ask me why I think that, I just do. Man City will continue having problems gelling for another season I think, but will do enough to keep Liverpool & Spurs at bay.

Feet

Postby Feet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm

I genuinely believe City are to be considered serious title favourites this time around, there's barely any room for improvement in that squad you'd like think. If they have a weakness it's probably a lack of world class quality at the back, but they ooze that quality everywhere else. City fans must get wet tying to pick a first eleven. So many good players.
I still love you.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 am

Feet wrote:I genuinely believe City are to be considered serious title favourites this time around, there's barely any room for improvement in that squad you'd like think. If they have a weakness it's probably a lack of world class quality at the back, but they ooze that quality everywhere else. City fans must get wet tying to pick a first eleven. So many good players.

I sort of agree about the lack of "world class quality at the back", but they still had the joint best defence in the league last season.

Once Aguero is on board I'm not too worried about Tevez going. Barring that, they're the only contenders going into next season with any sort of continuity. Utd sort of, but Ferguson is clearly in the midst of building a new side, and whenever he's done that they've had notoriously bad starts to a season.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:49 am

Sly, I wouldn't be worried about Carroll. He's going to be excellent, honest.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Feet

Postby Feet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

For me Kompany is made of the right stuff, but Toure's best days are surely behind him, Lescott is, well Lescott and I can't think of anyone else they have. I reckon they're just as suspect at LB and RB, when Clichy concentrates I'd say he's one of the best LB in the league but he doesn't always concentrate. Richards is ok I guess, when he get's momentum up he's difficult to stop.

Compared to the rest of their squad, it's the only place they genuinely could see some improvement in, and as you say they had the meanest defence last season so I could be talking rubbish.
I still love you.

Captain Bassoon

Postby Captain Bassoon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:55 pm

1: Man City
2: Man Utd
3: Chelsea/Arsenal
4: Arsenal/Chelsea
5: Liverpool
6: Spurs

Problem with mid-table is that everyone is gonna be super tight again.

I think the bottom, and really close down there, will be something like:

15: Norwich
16: Wigan
17: Wolves
18: QPR
19: Newcastle
20: Blackburn
Bev wrote:Being a good sniper is morally on a par with being a good paedophile.

JohnyHumf wrote:Edam what the fuck have you done now?

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm

You could be right about Newcastle actually, I might slip a cheeky bet on them. I quite like Pardew but he really seems to lose it when things go against him, he's good at keeping a ship afloat, but might struggle now that Ashley has shot a fuckload of holes in the hull and refused to fix them. Have they signed anyone yet? And are they still going to lose Jonas and Enrique?
Last edited by Adam on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Next

Return to A Question of Sport