Changes to BBC Sport

They think its all over... got cancelled.

katarn

Changes to BBC Sport

Postby katarn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Interesting article on the changes to the BBC Sport website due to the budget cuts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors ... nline.html

The 606 forum is being shut down entirely - I've never got on with it personally, it's always been a mess to navigate and the BBC never properly implemented it IMO. But many others do use it - and sometimes it was useful to gauge opinion on things and at times find out breaking news quicker than the main site - so a lot of people won't be happy.

Plus they'll be generally turning down their coverage on lesser sports.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Why don't the BBC shut down more of thier local radio stations? There must be hundreds of them!

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Yeah, the masses of local radio stations is unnecessary. Mitchell did an adequate job of lampooning the BBC's attitude towards local news on 10 O'Clock Live last week.

But does anyone really need a BBC Solihull? Or Swindon? York has it's own one, which I'm sure could be merged with BBC Leeds, if they can find space for the York-based news in between the stories about murders in Bradford.

EDIT: Although I do think 606 message boards should be dropped. They're so shit, there comes a point when a website is too large to accommodate a message board, and the BBC definitely is too large. The Guardian needs its as part of it's "comment is free" remit, and actually CIF is often far more sensible than 606, but still, I think most major websites should just drop comments sections and forums. They're a daft idea.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Return to A Question of Sport