Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

They think its all over... got cancelled.


User avatar
Scrappy
 
Posts: 6594
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby Scrappy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:20 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/8970385.stm

I know he was pretty much unknown in a pretty much neglected sport but still, dying at the age of 19 with a good career in front of you is pretty tragic. Thoughts are with the family.

User avatar
katarn
 
Posts: 8516
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Postby katarn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:32 pm

RIP

Just seen it on Youtube, horrible collision.

User avatar
Wizard Of Odd
 
Posts: 6499
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:54 pm
Location: Redditch, UK.

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Blimey I was watching that earlier. Must have switched over just before it happened.

User avatar
katarn
 
Posts: 8516
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Postby katarn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm hearing the stewards roughly rolled him onto a stretcher, then dropped him on the gravel trap as they were taking him away, before he later died in hospital. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is that's scandalous treatment.

topfear
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: UK

Postby topfear » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Sad :(
^ not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine

User avatar
Rossell
 
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:21 pm
Location: Kepler-22b

Postby Rossell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Ya know its weird, I don't watch MotoGP, let alone Moto2. Went over a mates the other evening and randomly flicked onto a Moto2 race and watched it to the end.

So when I saw this it made me double :( :(
Image

User avatar
Hyssy
 
Posts: 7386
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:32 pm

Postby Hyssy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 pm

It was a tragedy, most definitely.

User avatar
Rossell
 
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:21 pm
Location: Kepler-22b

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby Rossell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:32 am

Appropriate place to put this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motogp/15420069.stm

Whats going on motorsport?
Image

User avatar
Edwin
the cunt
 
Posts: 24493
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:57 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby Edwin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:54 am

RIP

Also, related to the 18 people in China ignoring that kid, apparently when the crowd were told the race was cancelled they started booing and throwing bottles onto the track.

Image
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2873
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

Rossell wrote:Appropriate place to put this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motogp/15420069.stm

Whats going on motorsport?


Was just going to post that, what with the guy in this thread, Dan Wheldon and now Marco christ.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Rossell
 
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:21 pm
Location: Kepler-22b

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby Rossell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:32 am

Edwin wrote:RIP

Also, related to the 18 people in China ignoring that kid, apparently when the crowd were told the race was cancelled they started booing and throwing bottles onto the track.

Image


BBC says they were throwing bottles amid confusion. Not sure if they were aware of a death on track. If thats the case, I can forgive it.
Image

User avatar
cHeal
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:45 am

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby cHeal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:28 pm

RIP. I'm really really sad to hear this news. He was easily my favourite MotoGp rider. Really really sad day. I suspect it could be a bit of a watershed moment for biking safety, similar to the Senna crash. I suspect there will be big changes for safety in the next few years, MotoGp cannot afford to allow its riders be killed anymore, it must act. In reality while nobody has died in the sport for some years, that in my opinion is only by chance. Horrible crashes are a regular occurrence and injury is common. Many of the riders on the grid for a MotoGp race are injured.

There were 2 serious injuries in the moto2 FP1. With one rider being thrown violently from his bike, in a scene reminiscent of Giles Villenueves fatal accident. He did not race. Another rider dislocated his shoulder moments before. moto2 race was red flagged 2 laps after an incident that left a rider motionless on track.

The sport is NOT safe, and it simply is not acceptable for Helmets to be coming off. Marco was not just an exciting rider, he was a great character and the grid will definitely be a poorer place for his absence.
Image

arqueturus
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby arqueturus » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:37 pm

Such a shame as Marco was a real character and superbly talented. I'm going to miss him terribly from the world of bike racing.


Appropriate place to put this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motogp/15420069.stm

Whats going on motorsport?


I think it's forgotten how very dangerous bike racing is and motorsport in general. I had a bike accident a month and a half ago when a car pulled accross me on the motorway without indicating. I was very lucky not to crash but my left foot was crushed between the car's front wing and my bike - this was me at about 25mph and the car at 20mph. I had 4 broken bones in my foot and two badly dislocated toes that eventually had to be operated on an wire. Velocity, mass and physics - we don't realise the forces that come into play.

This is the 3rd bike racing death in the past few years now and each time it's a traumatic shock.

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli.

User avatar
katarn
 
Posts: 8516
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby katarn » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:42 pm

RIP

I'm hearing the marshals dropped him on to the ground while hurriedly moving him away from the track on the stretcher, just like with Tomizawa last year. It might not have made any difference in terms of his death with his injuries, but for it to happen twice in a row in both fatalities it's not acceptable.

arqueturus
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Shoya Tomizawa R.I.P

Postby arqueturus » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:45 pm

cHeal wrote:RIP. I'm really really sad to hear this news. He was easily my favourite MotoGp rider. Really really sad day. I suspect it could be a bit of a watershed moment for biking safety, similar to the Senna crash. I suspect there will be big changes for safety in the next few years, MotoGp cannot afford to allow its riders be killed anymore, it must act. In reality while nobody has died in the sport for some years, that in my opinion is only by chance. Horrible crashes are a regular occurrence and injury is common. Many of the riders on the grid for a MotoGp race are injured.

There were 2 serious injuries in the moto2 FP1. With one rider being thrown violently from his bike, in a scene reminiscent of Giles Villenueves fatal accident. He did not race. Another rider dislocated his shoulder moments before. moto2 race was red flagged 2 laps after an incident that left a rider motionless on track.

The sport is NOT safe, and it simply is not acceptable for Helmets to be coming off. Marco was not just an exciting rider, he was a great character and the grid will definitely be a poorer place for his absence.



There really isn't much more that can be done for safety really. Most of the riders have airbags in their leathers these days. Having seen a very brief replay of the accident that happened to Marco, I'm not suprised the helemt came off. The back of his head was hit by another bike, I would expect the strap to snap from the sheer force of it.

In the three deaths that I mention (and including Marco's) they all came from the rider being hit by other bikes and that's the factor that can never be controlled. If you imagine just running as fast as you can into a wall without slowing down, it gives you some idea of how vulnerable riders are from impacts. Can you think of any way of making bike racing safer other than illegallising it?

Next

Return to A Question of Sport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron