World Cup 2010 - South Africa Thread

They think its all over... got cancelled.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

Captain Bassoon

Postby Captain Bassoon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm

2 votes? :lol: :lol: This is a ridiculous process.
Bev wrote:Being a good sniper is morally on a par with being a good paedophile.

JohnyHumf wrote:Edam what the fuck have you done now?

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Why are there so few votes available? Doesn't every FIFA nation get a vote?
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:14 am

Feet wrote:Qatar hosting the 2022 World Cup is rather a large shock though.

Have you seen the size of their bank accounts, they were even bigger yesterday ¬_¬
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 am

It's not just a shock, it's a fucking disgrace. Seriously, both these choices are awful, and we're going to pay for it with two shitty World Cups. Qatar in particular will make South Africa look like a classic.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am

If their motorsport efforts are anything to go by, all games will take place at night on top of a mega-hotel covered in tacky lights.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

deetz

Postby deetz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 am

Adam wrote:It's not just a shock, it's a fucking disgrace. Seriously, both these choices are awful, and we're going to pay for it with two shitty World Cups. Qatar in particular will make South Africa look like a classic.

I admit it's an odd choice and not somewhere I would have chosen but they have the cash to fund it properly and it's right in the middle of a football mad region of the world. Terrorism would be a major worry but they have a long time to plan it all properly. I wonder what they'll do with all the stadiums after the world cup? Will it end up like Athens Olympic venues?

Russia...what were they thinking?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:22 am

Russian is a better choice than Qatar because at least they have some semblance of footballing tradition and for such a major nation never to have had the tournament is a big strange.

However giving the World Cup to a country that is half the size of Wales and which will have to have 7 stadiums in one city is just crazy. Even if you can afford to go the congestion will just be horrid, not to mention the heat.

As for only receiving two votes that is a bit sad, but if you wont play Fifa's game then you wont win. The same happened when Germany were awarded the 2006 WC.

Gandolf blaming Panaroma for our lose is wrong. Fifa are corrupt, there is no doubt about that and airing the documentary that close to the vote allowed it to get maximum publicity.

I think the fact that the IOC have asked Panaroma to pass on any evidence they have against Hayatou, as he is also a member of the IOC, and Fifa have just brushed it all off saying their isn't a case to answer, tells you everything you need to know about Fifa.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 am

Hayatou was the only one who voted for us who wasn't English.

Maybe we should just have bribed the others more...

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:26 am

There is currently uncertainty about whether it was Hayatou or the Japanese delegate who voted for us.

deetz

Postby deetz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm not sure if citing lack of footballing tradition is a good reason for denying a country the world cup. It's not as if japan or south Korea have a long footballing tradition. They're relative new comers to the sport like countries in the middle east. But even more so than japan or Korea, Qatar and the rest of the gulf countries are football mad.

Saying all that I do have my reservations. It's a small country and I wonder how they'll cope with the massive influx of fans. Heat might not be an issue on the pitch as they're planning on air conditioning the stadiums but outside it's going to be incredibly hot. If people have any brains they will stay indoors for most of the day.

If Qatar is like any of the other Gulf countries then you'll be able to drink in the hotels. Not sure how liberal it is on this matter. Might just be hotels or may extend to some clubs and restaurants.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 pm

deetz wrote: I wonder what they'll do with all the stadiums after the world cup? Will it end up like Athens Olympic venues?

They're dismantling them then giving / selling the parts to third world countries to build shit with.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Drinking wise they have said that they will be setting aside designated zones and on the subject of a/c that will only really make the fans feel comfortable, down on the pitch it will still be baking so most games will have to be played at night. Even then the temperature only gets down to around 30-35 degrees.

deetz

Postby deetz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Why would the ac only affect the fans and not the players?

I'm going to have to look up the Russian bid and see what was so good about it.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 am

Ok, so on Monday I will post my full reasons as to why both decisions are shit.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport